Haynes

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Haynes

Post by Ciaran » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 pm

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Re: Haynes

Post by onthecut » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 am

C'mon Ciaran

--- without Mr Haynes we wouldn't have the classic phrase 'reassembly is the reverse of dismantling' ! I think the early Haynes books, especially for cars from the 60s and early 70s were not bad -- they quite plainly lifted big chunks of the official workshop manuals. Since then, however, downhill all the way both in quality and accuracy of content and quality of paper and binding. Don't think I've once seen Haynes address the very real issue of tackling stuff that has ten years of crud and corrosion on it.

Mike.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am

I have to agree, haynes was fine when it started, i have a few old manuals and they tell you interesting stuff like how to strip and re-build the vehicles gearbox!!!!, you wouldnt find that in a new Haynes manual :)

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

I agree with Dean, the haynes Manual I have for the CX and BX are very good, the Xantia one is ok, but the XM one is very poor, no mention of Series 1 really.

My dad just bought a C5 manual, I haven't looked at it yet to see how bad it is.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:54 am

My dad just bought a C5 manual, I haven't looked at it yet to see how bad it is.
By now i should imagine its a big book that tells you all the stuff you cant do, gearbox, not serveable by the home mechanic, electrics, not serviceable by the home mechanic, suspension, powered by black hole physics and as such IS NOT SERVICABLE BY THE HOME MECHANIC :evil: :roll: where was the how to strip and re furb FDV and pressure regulator sections????? this info really should have been in there.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 am

I have the shelf a bookcase full of these, not all for cars I have owned, people just kept giving them to me. The early ones were very good, the CX especially - except for the instructions for changing the trailing arm bearings, after dismantling it said "thoroughly clean the inside of the car" I thought perhaps this was in an attempt to regain your sanity, but it should have read ' thoroughly clean the inside of the tube', I pointed this out to the rep at the motor show, I don't think he believed me so he got a manual off the shelf and checked - it said that in his too. I see its now been corrected. :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

ItsGrimUpNorth
Can find the S1 radio

Post by ItsGrimUpNorth » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:I agree with Dean, the haynes Manual I have for the CX and BX are very good, the Xantia one is ok, but the XM one is very poor, no mention of Series 1 really.

Yes, I just bought a brand new Haynes for the XM - there's very little information about left hand drive models or series 1/1.5.
XM Driver with absolutely NO mechanical experience!

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by colinxm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Quote: "By now i should imagine its a big book that tells you all the stuff you cant do, gearbox, not serveable by the home mechanic, electrics, not serviceable by the home mechanic, suspension, powered by black hole physics and as such IS NOT SERVICABLE BY THE HOME MECHANIC"

I've just bought the Haynes manual for my wife's Pug 308 - a relatively new car, Dean's above description is right on the mark ! Gee I'm p****d off... they're not exactly cheap either :evil:

I too remember the days of useful Haynes manuals where I really could tackle just about any job on my cars or motorcycles with confidence (typo errors notwhithstanding)

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7