Damn. Head gasket gone

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Damn. Head gasket gone

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 pm

My indy quoted me £7-800 to do it (not hoping to get the work - he told me it was time for a new car). I guess that my XM experience is over! Assuming it's going to be scrapped (unless someone here has a use), one of you may want the leather interior, which is in good nick.

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Re: Damn. Head gasket gone

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Actually, looking at the Haynes, maybe I should attempt it? Who's done the job on the 2.1TD? Is it suitable for an inexperienced mechanic?

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Over to you Peter!

Ken

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Over to you Peter!
:lol:
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by robertmnorton » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Samwise,most of us 2.1 owners have done one or two(or more).The job is really down to nuts&bolts.Yes,access to some of these will skin your hands and have you swearing,but is do-able insitu.The timing covers and crankbolt can be a pain.I found by disconnecting the lower engine mount and rotating the engine forward slightly,(i used 2 trolley jacks to support engine & g/box)you could install a 4"x4" wooden block between bulkhead and block to allow the head to be easily lifted and replaced, no need to seperate cam carrier.The most awkward bit is getting the inlet/ exhaust manifold bolts (nuts) off or on.Preparation is everything,tools,parts and a constant brew.Both mine i did over a 3 day stint,it is physically demanding due to the body contortions needed,so plan it and take your time,double,triple check everything and don't throw removed bolts into a single jar!It may sound daunting but it REALLY is just nuts&bolts.THERE WILL BE ADVICE A' PLENTY ON THIS SUBJECT,many of the guys here will recount their woes,all sound advice.
robertm

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm

I think I'll give it a go. Frankly, the other option is scrapping it, so it's worth chancing the £20 for a gasket (and I'd be an idjut not to do the cam belt at the same time) and giving it a go. Looks like my Sunday is all set! I had a BX snap a timing belt once, and managed to replace the head with one off a scrapper and even got it running, though it spat all the coolant out and I gave up in the end (had already bought a replacement). If I can do that, surely I can do this. There's been no overheating or anything like that, so I can't see any reason why the head would be warped.

DerekW
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by DerekW » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi Sam,

I don't know where Peter is, he must be asleep! :D Guaranteed he'll be along in a minute.

As Robert wrote, it's only nuts and bolts.

Please don't even think about scrapping your car.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:47 pm

It's definitely do-able in situ is it? I don't have any chance of pulling the engine, let me tell you.

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by robertmnorton » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi again Sam, yes, i did both mine in-situ.A 92 s1 SED, and a 95 s2 exclusive, both with A/C but you don't have any need to mess with this.
robertm

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Don't forget to change the water pump as well! Nothing worse than seeing that tell tale dribble when you've just got it all back together!
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.