Damn. Head gasket gone

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Damn. Head gasket gone

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Sam

My word, that was quick, I blinked and there were two pages of mail! :o

Head gasket - not the easiest job in the world but well worth doing, your engine should be good for at least another 150k when done. Someone is doing gaskets on ebay for about £12.50, but I wouldn't use one, get a steel laminated type, I got mine from Citroen and it was about £60.00 but I think they are available elswhere now, they look almost indestructable, the green one had covered over 75k without problems before Christine piled it up - got a good secondhand one if you want it. :D

The job is labourious rather than difficult, so much ancilliary equipment has to be removed to get at the head, possibly the best route is to follow the Haynes instructions apart from the bit that says you cant do it with the engine in the car, and take photo's at each stage so you know where everything goes back, I still have a box of bits left over from mine - mainly brackets :oops:

If you decide to do it I'm sure some of us can give you step by step instructions
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Well, I'll be setting aside all of Sunday for it, and the car can if neccesary stay under the car port all week to be tinkered with. Help me with my brain here. I need gasket, gasket sealant, torque wrench, anything else out of the ordinary?

Ken Newbold
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Ken Newbold » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 pm

93, so it'll be a series 1 or 1.5 then, that might make it a bit easier. Where abouts are you?

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm

The only gaskets you will probably need are for the head, the rocker cover and the water pump if you are going to change it. You will need some sealant between the head and camshft carrier, but I used ordinary silicone bathroom sealant, if you apply it the night before you reassemble it, it will set so you dont scrape it off on reassembly. I re used the manifold gaskets. You will also need an appropriatly sized allen key to remove the camshft carrier bolts, they are tight so one in a socket would be best.

Peter

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Sam..

I was thinking about you the otherday, and wondered how you were getting on with her...

Sorry to learn this.. But Yes, I did the Cam belt and water pump, I DO NOT beleve in putting a belt on WITHOUT changing the pump.. so its down to the milage you've done..

Ive not done a H/G on an XM 2.1, I beleve it is possible to do it in situ, and the HARDEST part is removing the turbo.. so I cant advise much on dooing it..

HOWEVER, when done what I CAN advise - when you get to filling the cooling system, I beleve gaskets fail due to LACK of anti freeze! Had been needing to top the cooling system up at all?? There will be ABSOLUTLY NO HARM to put TOO MUCH anti freeze in, infact make sure the water is BLUE with anti freeze, you cant go wrong then and it should keep the gasket all clear and free flowing..

Had she actually BOILED? Or just useing a lot of water?

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Ken Newbold wrote:93, so it'll be a series 1 or 1.5 then, that might make it a bit easier. Where abouts are you?
Southampton, Ken.

Thanks Peter - hadn't thought about a rocker cover gasket (and certainly not bathroom sealant!). Will also look into the allen key thing - I could do with a set that really do the job.

SamWise
Can find the S1 radio

Post by SamWise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

citroenxm wrote:Sam..

I was thinking about you the otherday, and wondered how you were getting on with her...

Sorry to learn this.. But Yes, I did the Cam belt and water pump, I DO NOT beleve in putting a belt on WITHOUT changing the pump.. so its down to the milage you've done..

Ive not done a H/G on an XM 2.1, I beleve it is possible to do it in situ, and the HARDEST part is removing the turbo.. so I cant advise much on dooing it..

HOWEVER, when done what I CAN advise - when you get to filling the cooling system, I beleve gaskets fail due to LACK of anti freeze! Had been needing to top the cooling system up at all?? There will be ABSOLUTLY NO HARM to put TOO MUCH anti freeze in, infact make sure the water is BLUE with anti freeze, you cant go wrong then and it should keep the gasket all clear and free flowing..

Had she actually BOILED? Or just useing a lot of water?

Paul

As far as I'm aware, no. Gill never got a coolant temperature warning, just a low coolant warning. Very sudden, so I think the gasket went in a big way. I'm curious as to why, but I don't believe it's ever overheated. The car has only done about 8000 miles since we had her, so the water pump and belt should still be good.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I have only had one water pump failure in about 14 years of running XMs, and that was just after I had changed the cambelt :x so if its not done to higher mileage I wouldn't worry about it. As Paul says, lack of antifreeze will cause premature failure of the gasket, mine fell to bits at about 120k.

Peter

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

SamWise wrote:Well, I'll be setting aside all of Sunday for it, and the car can if neccesary stay under the car port all week to be tinkered with. Help me with my brain here. I need gasket, gasket sealant, torque wrench, anything else out of the ordinary?
Hi Sam

I know it's an extra expense, but (if no one has already mentioned it) do go the extra mile and have the head pressure tested and skimmed. As many have pointed out, it is a sod of a job, so a shame to have any lingering doubts. As you haven't done one before I admire your optimism on the Sunday issue ---- you'll still be learning all the naughty words that go with the job on the first day ! My one piece of advice is don't tackle it in a rush --- it will only frustrate and annoy you. I think Peter has mentioned three days and I'd say that is about right, especially first time. When you wind up jacking or levering the block to try and gain access to things, always watch carefully that you are not unduly straining something else.

Good luck with it.

Mike.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:58 am

I'm with Mike, well on the skimming anyway, I have never known one of these heads crack, unlike the 1.9 which seem to self destruct if you boil it. I have boiled two of these :oops: , one recently, with no repercussions. I so rarely get in a traffic jam that I don't know whether the fans work or not. They only took a few thou off my head but it gives peace of mind - of course it would give you even more if you had it pressure tested. :D

Peter