Insurance

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: Insurance

Post by jonathan_dyane » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:09 pm

minijet wrote:.
I'm not sure if a pov. spec XM would make any diference. I've swapped between a TCT VSX manual, pov. spec S1 2.0i, TCT Exclusive auto and 2.1 Exclusive auto, and there was no diference in premium, I just had to pay the swap over fee.
I agree. When I was first considering I checked prices of 2.0i, TCT and TD, and all three were very close in price. Mind, I think I was just looking at SE models. Had to be SE...

Edit: no, actually I'm sure I got a quote for a poverty-spec 2.0 (might even have been carb) and that was barely any cheaper.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:45 am

Hi Bitontheside

It's a very non-funny joke, insurance. We have to have it, yet the insurers seem to pretty much get away with what they want. Your quote doesn't surprise me at all -- I think we are paying something approaching that for our 2.5, but it does include business use plus getting screwed for living in a city. I think this no claims business is a load of tosh they manipulate to suit themselves. My other half's car was stolen a couple of years back and that bumps our quote up, as she is a named driver -- despite the fact it was covered under a separate policy (itself with full no claims) and nothing to do with the XM one ! I'm still gobsmacked by eldest sprog's quotes; as a newish driver aged about 21, she went from a Diesel 306 to a V8 Landy and her premium more than halved !
For what it's worth, we have found Frizzells to be most competitive over the last few years, although you do have to endlessly shop around.

Mike.

bitonthesidexm
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by bitonthesidexm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:47 am

You could be right on the premiums being close together. I only looked at a Turbo and a V6 Xantia for comparison - it may be that the least equipped XM is the same price! I may have to bite the bullet and pay up.
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:17 am

It get's dafter! I tried again using the Turbo exclusive that is on ebay. It has now moved to £643! :lol:
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi BitonthesideXM, I had a pleasant surprise earlier this year. My aim has always been to use the V6 in the summer (air donditioning :D ) and the 2.0TCT estate in the winter. With 42 years!!!! no claim bonus the V6 costs me £218 per year with Churchill and when I transfer the TCT the premium is the same plus a transfer fee. So with two changes a year that's two transfer fees.

So in April I decided to see how much it would cost me to put both cars on the road, it's sometimes useful to have the capacity of an estate.. As Chuchill kindly pointed out, my no claim bonus is used to insure the V6 so it would be full premium, £450 - £500 to insure the TCT.

To cut it short, I used one of the "compare" sites and as a result insured my second car, no NCB, for £200. Of course that doesn't include NCB protection but after all I don't have an NCB to protect :lol: .

If you're vaguely interested I'll send the details, but you can guess where I'm going for the V6 renewal and my wife's ZX.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Derek

Do not get Biton the side too exited. There is a system in insurance for a second car that allows what is known as "mirroring" the no claims entitlement for the first car. Companies other than your existing insurer may chose to offer this as a introductory first year discount. They do this only if your risk profile suits their current profile for the categories of insurance they want to underwrite. The exception is the protected element which is never mirrored on the second policy until you actually have earned it.

John

normantilbury
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by normantilbury » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:30 am

I am with direct line on a fully comprehencive policy with only a mileage limitation of 2000 miles and it is parked on the driveway and i pay £303 a year on monthly direct debit for which there is a small charge but easier on the finances,

Norman.
98 Xm Vsx 2.1 Td Silver Estate RP 7548
Located in Lindley, Huddersfield HD3 3LX

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 pm

FWIW, when I had the SED (now with Jonathan) I insured it with Hastings direct - they gave the cheapest quote through Confused.com. I didn't have any NCB to transfer (kept that on another policy), comprehensive cover. I'm 43, living in Bristol, car kept on street. I paid £304. I thought that was okay (though I'd still rather pay less!). Might be worth a try?

The Si is on a classic policy - so limited miles (7000) and doesn't accrue NCB - but it was about £180. So not bad.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up
1996 Saxo D - commuting up (?)