Still no XM's!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Still no XM's!

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

Hi all

Just returned from our bi-anual north of Scotland experience, still didn't see any other XMs. First long trip in the black hatch and nearly 57 mpg on the upward journey, better than the estates but I sort of expected that as the hatch is somewhat lighter. I put some of that 'Fort'e' stuff in the gearbox before we left but I don't think it has made much difference, still whines at about 2400 rpm but maybe a little quieter at other speeds - doesn't whine at 60 mph - my preferred speed :D

Has anyone else noticed that the traffic seems to have slowed down? In the past 60 mph has meant sticking in the nearside lane while everone races past you, not so this trip, in fact I spent quite a lot of time in the middle lane passing slower traffic and there were very few 'outgoing people' doing 90 in the outside lane.

Unfortunatly I was stricken with an abcess under a tooth I broke a few days before we left, I was climbing up the wall for a few days but eventually managed to get an appointment at Raigmore hospital in Inverness - about 60 miles away, my wife had already done the 120 mile round trip the day before to get me some strong pain killers, anyway, they prescribed some antibiotics which kicked in a couple of days before we came home - so didn't do much this trip.

I was going in tho see that silver Mk2, 2.1 auto estate :o on the way home but the chap had withdrawn it from ebay, he has some time off and reckons he is going to fix the problems, but that will undoubtedly make it to expensive for me so will have to keep looking, preferably for one I don't need to change the gearbox in.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Re: Still no XM's!

Post by onthecut » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Peter,

Welcome back. Sorry about the tooth -- very unfunny. Not surprised you haven't seen any other XM --- it's been months since I've seen one and I'm on the road all around the place a fair bit. You've only got to look at the scarcity of the entries in the 'spotted' section.

Shane's been doing his head while you've been away --- and, do you know, I don't think he quite shares your enthusiasm for the 2.1 !

Mike.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:48 pm

onthecut wrote:Shane's been doing his head while you've been away
--- and, do you know, I don't think he quite shares your enthusiasm for the 2.1 !
:lol: I think that's the understatement of the year Mike!

I've noticed the world out there is a tad lethargic these days no doubt due probably to the
incessant BIG brother any speed is evil mantra and further influenced by obscene fuel costs. :x

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:12 pm

andmcit wrote:
onthecut wrote:Shane's been doing his head while you've been away
--- and, do you know, I don't think he quite shares your enthusiasm for the 2.1 !
:lol: I think that's the understatement of the year Mike!

I never said they were easy :D but think of this, he will probably not have to do another thing to that engine for at least another 150,00 miles - which is longer than a lot of modern cars last!

Peter

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm

Thats fantastic MPG for your 2.1TD Peter, no doubt the more shapely hatch design had something to do with that, along with weighing less. Shame about the tooth though. Im surprised the Forte didnt do much, which did you get in the end? Diff and gear? Might be quite a problem if that didnt cure it.

Yes, people do seem to be driving slowly at the moment, its quite annoying! Fine if you can get past them but being stuck behind a motorist doing insanely low speeds on tiny roads with no passing places is a little boring. I wonder if crashes are down or up, people going slower vs people overtaking more ....

Fuel has started to rise again, up 3p in the last few weeks around here. Maybe thats the reason behind the increase in Sunday motorists :lol:

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:19 pm

citroenmad wrote:Fuel has started to rise again, up 3p in the last few weeks around here. Maybe thats the reason behind the increase in Sunday motorists :lol:
or you keep going out more on Sundays.. ;)
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:30 pm

NOw, id not thought of that! :roll: :lol:

Chris
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Chris

Yes 'diff and gear' it may have made it a little quieter but its still quite loud at around 2400 rpm in any gear which leads me to the conclusion that its the box rather than the diff, sounds as though it could be the layshaft bearings although I would have expected it to have gone quieter in 4th as there is no sideways thrust then. Its quite driveable though, I just don't like noises.

The fuel consumption is only a couple of MPG better than the estate, we always get 50+ . Diesel was only £102.9 in Scotland but I see its all gone up since we came home.

Peter