Attachment of photos to thread!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Re: Attachment of photos to thread!

Post by White Exec » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 pm

All that is true, but how do you feel about our Forum not having "complete posts" in perpetuity, so that old and reference posts can always be read later down the line?

It would be a real loss if, for example, Self Help posts got stripped of their diagrams and photos because either the external hosting site closed or changed, or the original contributor did some housekeeping at that end.

And do we have a policy on this?
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi guys,

You are all quite right, the retention of externally hosted images and the 'completeness' of our technical records in the future is something John and I have discussed at length over the years.
I believe I've finally devised a solution to this, which will take some effort, but I believe will work.

Like Will, elsewhere I tend to use external hosts, for general use they have their advantages as he outlines, however they're not the best if trying to preserve an archive for the future.

Re the image failing to upload problem, I hope to completely overhaul the forum and replace the server over the next few weeks, I hope this will finally let us weed out this elusive and annoying issue!

Ciarán

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Many thanks for you comments and suggestions chaps and especially to Ciaran in his efforts to fix the problem. With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:54 pm

There is a serious loss of photos and diagrams, particularly in the self help, of the other XM forum.
Much of this is due to use of external hosting then leading to removal over time.
It would be a pity if this site went the same way.

It was to protect against this loss that I started the archive discussions with Ciaran.
The copyright issue is only relevant to those that are prepared to honour copyright rules.
Currently we only archive our direct posts for security reasons so we do not loose everything.
We have quite a number of BOT's visit some a number of times each day.
We have virtually no control of the extent to which these visitors archive our material.
Searching for components in the far east sometimes throws up quite large chunks of XM sites data.
The BOT's we weed out just reappear in a new form or through a new route.
To be expected as many are operated for commercial gain.

John

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

I must support John on this, in trying to see our Forum not just as a support for day-to-day issues that current XM owners encounter, but also as an authoritative and trusted resource that builds over time. I hope that this is not just for us here today, but might be for others who will come to own, or work on, an XM in the future. It is a car of remarkable character, ability and innovation, but one which requires understanding and accurate information.

As we know, huge amounts of time and effort go into Forum contributions, with some members going to great lengths to collect, collate, rescue and publish vital detail. Members' own repairs feed into this, by posing questions - which prompt answers - and reporting fixes. Gatherings, jaunts, rallies, shows, noggins, meet-ups and media publicity are all important, too.

Many of us will have looked at and used the original .com XM site, which still contains a lot of valuable information, but, as John says, is often extensively depleted when it comes to photos, diagrams and other appended files. This makes it difficult (or even impossible) to make sense of the surviving text. Some of these posts are years old, but detailed all the same.

What I'm saying is that, while using external image hosting is often quick and convenient, it does leave our Forum vulnerable to material loss. We know we have a temporary problem with Uploading (jpg) files, but hopefully this will get sorted soon. Normally, such uploading is quick and easy. It also ensures that our Forum posts are complete, and remain complete for the future. I think this is hugely important.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003