Non- XM electrical question !

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
onthecut
Citrobics expert

Non- XM electrical question !

Post by onthecut » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 am

For all you guys wised up on the electrical front ------

What is a compounding rectifier and how do I replace an old, tin vaned type with modern kit ?? (Have deceased genny I'm looking to bring to life and this piece seems to be the issue) Have replaced 'ordinary' old fashioned rectifier successfully with modern bridge type, but have absolutely no understanding of how to deal with this one.

There we go --- absolutely, 100% nothing to do with an XM.

Mike.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Non- XM electrical question !

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Mike

I've never heard of a 'compounding rectifier' but the one you have sounds like a selenium or copper oxide rectifier depending on its age. If its only got two connections it will be a straightforward half wave, if it has four connections it would normally be a bridge rectifier. If you can let me know that and what voltage its handling I might be able to help you with a replacement. Have just read your post properly :oops: this one sounds a little different, a circuit of the genny would be helpful, how many connections does this one have?

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset