Fusebox Replacement

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
djg
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 7261

Re: Fusebox Replacement

Post by djg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:34 am

Yes, fuses are at our left knee all right. The idea was whether it would be advantageous to create an RHD version of the layout pages.
Bye,
Gábor

1996 XM 2.5 Turbo D VSX (LHD, Bleu Mauritius)
1986 BX 19 TRI Break (LHD, Rouge Vallelunga) deceased
1996 AX 14 D (LHD, Alaska White) in family

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Gabor

Thanks for confirming that.

I will check a bit more but I do not think Citroen bothered to do so for their UK mechanics.
So there might be much more work for little gain.
The parts list with names and numbers in french and english might be a useful addition as we move to sourcing more bits from France.
Component detail photos showing type and position was going to be my next interest.
Will add an example diagram of the later fuse box that I marked up to help me deal with someones query.
mainfuse001.jpg
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

edelweiss
Can find the S1 radio

Post by edelweiss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:20 pm

This is useful thanks...back to my original problem...I can't seem to find out what is causing this apparent 'earth' problem. For the sake of it, I've replaced the fusebox, I've replaced the heating control unit, I've replaced the digital dash, I've replaced the speedometer unit, I've cleaned terminals on the door switch both sides, I've tightened earthing points on the front underside bonnet, I've checked interior earthing points around foot wells, I've tightened ignition, I've taken door card off and unplugged everything therein, I've swapped out centre armrest control unit, I've swapped out indicator switch, I've strengthened battery terminal connectors,... The bloody interior light and the lights on the digital dash still arent going out even after I take the key out of the ignition... Someone? Anyone? !

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

edelweiss
Can find the S1 radio

Post by edelweiss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm

So just to run through the issues again:

-when ignition is switched off interior light won't dim fully, dash display lights won't dim fully, remote central locking will only work before the interior light dimmer kicks in, radio will remain on unless switched off.
-when ignition is on, the interior light will not switch on, the speedometer area light will not work, the interior light display symbol remains lit whether or not interior light is switched to on or off position, 'sport' mode symbol doesn't light up in speedometer area display

Everything else seems to work all right!

djg

Post by djg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 am

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Gabor
Thanks for confirming that.
John
Look for a reply in its topic.
Bye,
Gábor

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:59 am

edelweiss wrote:So just to run through the issues again:

-when ignition is switched off interior light won't dim fully, dash display lights won't dim fully, remote central locking will only work before the interior light dimmer kicks in, radio will remain on unless switched off.
-when ignition is on, the interior light will not switch on, the speedometer area light will not work, the interior light display symbol remains lit whether or not interior light is switched to on or off position, 'sport' mode symbol doesn't light up in speedometer area display

Everything else seems to work all right!
This is proving to be a bit of a knotty problem.
I hope to be able to delve into some circuit diagrams later today.
Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same, car is - according to an old post of edelweiss's:
2.1TD RP6427 VF7Y4TD00000435

Edelweiss, could you just confirm/clarify the following, where necessary:

when ignition is switched off interior light won't dim fully
Presume interior overhead light. So you're opening the door, int light comes on, close door, and after a good few seconds int light dims, but does not dim fully out?
Does it ever go out, given time?
If you turn it on manually (dash push switch), does it come on/go out?

dash display lights won't dim fully Could be OK
Dash (instrument illumination) display lights only illuminate when the sidelights/headlights are switched on.
They dim with the thumbwheel rheostat, but will only move between full brightness and very dim, not 'off'.

radio will remain on unless switched off Could be OK
Radio can be turned on or off (on the radio power switch) at any time, whether IGN is on or off.
If IGN is off, when the radio is turned on it will remain on (it might auto shut down after a very long time, ie it will presume vehicle is vacated), and not go off until
- either (a) it is switched off manually
- or (b) the IGN is switched on, and then off. Again, it is presuming the vehicle is about to be vacated.

remote central locking will only work before the interior light dimmer kicks in
Don't yet have an answer for this one.

when ignition is on, the interior light will not switch on
It should be possible to turn on the interior light (via dash push switch) at any time, IGN on or off, engine running/not.
Problem.

when ignition is on . . . the speedometer area light will not work Could be OK
If this means instrument illumination, switching on the IGN will not bring this dash illumination on.
Only switching on the sidelights/headlights will do this. (See above)

the interior light display symbol remains lit whether or not interior light is switched to on or off position
Unsure what you mean here.
"Interior light display symbol" - is this the one on the dash push switch? It is the symbol (icon) itself, or the small yellow LED below it?

'sport' mode symbol doesn't light up in speedometer area display
This symbol (orange zigzag spring) should only light up
(a) briefly and then extinguish when the IGN is switched on, and the suspension system goes through a short self-checking routine
(b) if the suspension slide switch (next to the gear lever) is switched to Sport, when the dash sport light will remain lit all the time Sport is selected.
If the lamp never lights, it could simply be the bulb behind the dash is blown/loose. It would be the first thing to check.

Let us know about the queries above.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

edelweiss
Can find the S1 radio

Post by edelweiss » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 am

when ignition is switched off interior light won't dim fully

Yes, overhead light dims but never goes out. I have to disconnect the battery each night.
Overhead light will only switch on via dash switch when the ignition is in ' off' position or key is out. When engine is running or ignition halfway turned, the overhead interior light won't switch on, either from dash switch, or when I open the doors

dash display lights won't dim fully...

I mean the digital display won't switch off fully in the same manner as the overhead interior light.

remote central locking will only work before the interior light dimmer kicks in...

Timing coincides with other problems above

when ignition is on . . . the speedometer area light will not work

I.e. Instrument illumination does not turn on when headlights switched on. I changed the whole thing from my donor car on the weekend and still nothing doing. Rheostat has no effect.

'sport' mode symbol doesn't light up in speedometer area display

The spring symbol never lights up regardless of the suspension slide switch.

Nb
All of these things started happening at the same time...

Last edited by edelweiss on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:07 am

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I remain confused by much of your description of the problems - eg not clear yet just which parts of the dash you are referring to.

I'm going to have to bow out of this one, and suggest you enlist the help of an auto-electrician who knows the XM Y4 well. I do, but really struggle with your descriptions. Always better to see things in the flesh!

Please accept my apologies.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

djg

Post by djg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 am

I'm on phone now but will have a look later today with the diagrams. I suspect something in the locking circuit, primarily, as that has an effect on the internal dimming, too.

Just one small thing until then: there is no dashboard bulb for the internal lights. The symbol you mention is the sidelights. Switching on the headlights goes through the sidelight position first, hence the indicator.
Bye,
Gábor

edelweiss
Can find the S1 radio

Post by edelweiss » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am

Ah, I see, thanks...