Pricing of a car like KVG -not necessarily for sale!-

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
miq
Knows how to use the parking brake

Pricing of a car like KVG -not necessarily for sale!-

Post by miq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 am

So for now I don't want to put KVG for sale, mainly because I love it and it's by far the best car I've ever owned (don't tell the Integrale!). You all probably know KVG and it's story, restoration process etc. Apart from a chip on the passenger's side on the windscreen the car is absolutely mint and it's been featured in practical classics.

If I end up having to sell it will be because of lack of space, as we had a baby a few months back and my wife got a new car (isofix baby chair bollocks, etc) but she'd been driving an old jag for many years and although we have zero use for it she's sentimentally attached to it and doesn't want to sell it. Having two project cars that have been with me since I was 18 and 20 I can fully relate to that, so I can't impose selling the jag. We really don't have the space to keep it all, and in all fairness what I would have loved to do is to store the xm to just use it over summer and weekends and use the jag myself as a workhorse. This however can't happen as I simply don't have the space to store KVG.

Having said all this, in the next few months I may consider selling KVG, but pricing for something like this is real hard. I know how much I paid for it and we all know how good the car is, plus it will come with a spare full leather interior, spare original headlights (not tinted), spare new discs and pads all around, extra set of wheel trims, etc.

Pricing aside, the type of new owner will also be important too -Ray wouldn't have sold it to me if I was going to modify it or wreck it- and I want to keep on the same lines.

The retro citroen market is quite rather crazy, and I think that the best thing to do would be to keep the car for a few more years until the fetch top dollar, but things are not always the way we want them. If I'd have family around or something on those lines I could store it there (I've even considered driving it down to Spain and leave it in my father in law's garage) but that would defeat the point of having such a nice, reliable, good-driving car.

Dean
Global Moderator

Re: Pricing of a car like KVG -not necessarily for sale!-

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

What someone is willing to pay, as time goes by engine seems to be less of a defining factor and more condition and availability.
Sometimes a car will go for big money even if it is a lowly 2.0 (which I still maintain is the best engine for an XM as they age) and sometimes they don't.
It also depends how many others are for sale and in what condition, there has been an XM shortage on the open market recently and if there is a couple of people who have been looking for a very tidy car and seen nothing and then you launch a super clean and honest car onto the market they may go crazy for it.

XM prices are on the up no doubt but the market is very fickle at the moment I think, they have only recently been viewed with rose tinted glasses and nostalgia within the motoring press and car enthusiasts, lets face it 5 years ago if you were to mention the XM on any wider motoring forum it would have been the Shitroen Peugeot thing that wasn't weird enough but at the same time too weird and just another 90's barge but now they are starting to be admired, dare I say desired.

Keep it, sell in 20 years, the advert should read "Barn find Citroen XM £15'000ono" :D

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Dean wrote:
Keep it, sell in 20 years, the advert should read "Barn find Citroen XM £15'000ono" :D

D
For this reason, I'm not going to wash mine ever and take a chance on driving with no MOT to ensure they have the appearance of being "lost" for a few decades.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

miq

Post by miq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:34 pm

lol trust me if I could do that I would. I need a barn....we all do!

kingp
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by kingp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:55 pm

When it last sold before you bought it I think the price was around £3-500... now Vince put a lot of work into it, but I think it was the final straw once the Windows had been smashed in and the little bits of the body work that needed a body shop were nagging him iirc. So if all that's been done a real world value would be whatever those bits cost to get done and it's original purchase price.

Being a lower spec model it's not lusted or valued as much as an sed/sei would be so affects price as well.
While prices are on the rise I think £1500 is top end currently unless it's like one of the very very few well cared and homed vehicles that command £2-3.5k

miq

Post by miq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Although I wouldn't take a 1.5k offer as an insult I don't think it's its top value either -perhaps the bottom one-.

IMHO these days pricing a "classic or retro" car is not simply "price of it when it before restoring a few years back + money spent on it", but the "current condition of the car multiplied by a factor that depends on the condition of the other ones around". Basic model or not the car is mint (all was sorted btw, and I could get the windscreen changed too but I find it unnecessary as the chip is the size of a £1 coin), and mechanically one wouldn't be able to tell whether it is 230 or 30k, plus it's got an outstanding history which makes it interesting. It has been (and is) extremely well looked after to the point where it's killing me to use it on a daily basis because I can't keep up with washing and waxing it every odd day!!

If it comes to it and the max offer is £1.5k as you suggest then I will argue with the wife and try and sell her jag even if I have to give that away for free lol.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Sorry i dont subscribe to a vehicle being worth its previous sale value + repair costs.
If that were true my XM would now be worth around £10k, its worth what someone wants to pay at the time of sale, of course what the car is worth to you and what the car is worth are two totally different things too, if i had to sell my car i would not be happy with any less than £8k as a minimum, before you all spit your tea all over the floor and fall down laughing (which you should) i must state that i do not think that is its market value, its not even close, just because ive spent a large amount on the car over 15 years of ownership and i think its worth that doesnt mean it is but to me i have invested a reasonable amount of money and more importantly a truely stupid amount of man hours on that car and that is the minimum value i would place on it personally.

Its all very subjective but i do think a feature on the car will increase value slightly and i dont think spec or engine is as much of an influence on value as condition is although a manual 2.1 would be a very desireable spec in comparison to a TCT, 2.5td of 2.0i.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

miq

Post by miq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Couldn't agree more Dean.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Thats two dreamers on the forum then :D .

I wonder what Personal Value Dieselman would place on his Manderin 2.1, not the figue that would be required to persuad him to hand the keys over in an out of the blue offer, im talking about the figure that you would feel happy letting the car go for if you found yourself in the position of having to sell it.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

miq

Post by miq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 pm

I think it works both ways, taking my integrale as an example a good one is worth let's say 20k. If you (like I've done with my delta) have spent more than that on it then you will never make your money back, but at the same time if you bought it for 5k a few years back and you spent another 5k on it sorting it this will equally be worth 20k, purely because the demand dictates so.

Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting mega money for the xm, but I think this particular one will end up going for a decent amount to the right person.