MOT abroad?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Pshemsky
Knows how to use the parking brake

MOT abroad?

Post by Pshemsky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Guys.
I read quite a few posts online about it but looks like almost every single person got different idea regarding law regulations. So, just wandering if there's any option (apart from bringing car on ramp) to obtain equivalent of certyficate or drive back to UK vehicle with expired MOT? Does insurance company will accept equivalent of MOT from other countries?
Looks like my XM have to stay few more months in garage, and now starting to worry that it won't be ready before mot expires :/
Thanks for any advice.
Regards
Prem

XM 2.5 TD (1996)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

+ Mitsubishi Grandis
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Re: MOT abroad?

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:39 am

If the car is out of the UK, then the UK authorities don't care. If bringing it back, it is a good idea to have an MOT test booked somewhere on your way home.

The authorities in other European countries probably don't care either, as long as you have insurance.

Insurance could be a problem, unless your insurance company is very understanding. I did once persuade a UK insurance company to renew my cover under similar circumstances after the car had been out of the UK for nearly a year, but it was not easy.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 am

In EU countries, a local MoT/inspection done in one country (done in an emergency when the normal certificate has expired) on a "foreign plated" car is possible (well, it is in Spain) but carries very limited legal weight (if any). What it does do, though, is show to the authorities and your insurance company that you have bothered to get it inspected, which is possibly better than not doing it at all.

Mike is right: you need to talk with your insurance company and see what they suggest. The biggest risk is driving without insurance; everything else is just a matter of risking a fine. Pre-booking a test for the home country is very sensible.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

Pshemsky
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Pshemsky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

Chris I wouldn't even try to get on road without insurance. I used my luck few years back when done 2k trip through Europe without any papers (left at home). Only realised when saw other car been pulled to the side in Germany. Well I used bit more luck when driving my XM for restoration jobs Poland few month ago. When I was back in UK, call my insurance company and ask for 'lay down' policy and been told that my classic car insurance cover is valid only within GB. Well, think that I need to start reading 'small print' in policy contracts.
ATM car got no insurance at all. Its just SORN and mot till 30/09 so I have two options:
1. Try to get a new cover - prefer classic car caver but don't think that I'll find one in right price which would cover mileage bigger than 5k per per.
2. Use my multi car policy - and swap it for my Xantia - than car will be covered for 60 days abroad cover (so at least insurance will be sorted). Before I made a call about 'Foreign MOT test' and insurance cover with it (probably only third part) I have a good read through policy booklet.
Thanks for information guys!
Regards
Prem

XM 2.5 TD (1996)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

+ Mitsubishi Grandis
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)