CX vs XM?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Re: CX vs XM?

Post by White Exec » Thu May 25, 2017 12:01 pm

CX was something I missed out on. Went from lots of classic Rovers to BX (work that one out...) and then XM.

Meeting someone who ran a CX was a rare event, but I quickly decided that not only were the cars something rather special, but the owners were too. You didn't buy a CX by accident or default (like Ford or Vauxhall or Austin-Rover), but after a good bit of thought. Owners were discerning and informed, was my impression; they probably also enjoyed a good wine and good food.

Have read a good bit of Setright over the last few months - Bristol Cars & Engines, Drive On! and his last book, Long Lane With Turnings. He had considerable respect for Citroen engineering and innovation . . . and that included XM. James May writes an affectionate postscript in Long Lane, having worked with LJK at Car magazine years before. He recalls some lovely moments: apparently Setright's idea of 'taking exercise' was smoking his usual Sobranie while standing up . . .
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

marc61
Citrobics expert

Post by marc61 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Sorry but the CX wins by a country mile for me :shock:

I've almost lost count but have owned 7 or 8 CXs and the same number of XMs. Bought the first one in 1982 then spent the 1990s driving a GTi Turbo 1 then a Maikonics Turbo 2. Think they're the best CX model, prefer the T2 myself although the T1 seats were better and the steering wheel nicer (leather). I recall the horror amongst the Citroen enthusiasts at the end of the 80s, when the XM was launched, wedgy looking thing that it was. Quite a lot of people eventually acquired a taste for the XM in the 90s, but nothing like the following the CX had - there was a CCC rally about 25 years ago when over 200 CXs turned out.

Anyway I'm really glad to have driven both models, thank you Mr Citroen. The XM is much more modern, quiet, has an excellent hatchback, a very good ventilation system, it rusts less, is spacious, has a decent gearchange and is more economical. But the CX is a proper blank sheet of paper design developed prior to the Peugeot takeover. It has truly fantastic steering, is always rock steady, has better seats in my opinion and for a pre-hydractive Citroen it handles well. If breathed on the petrol turbo is one hell of a car, but it's just a shame that so few are left now. Hope that doesn't happen to the XM.

Cheers

Marc
1987 CX GTi Turbo 2, RHD, Maikonics, Quaife LSD, Cassis Nacre
1972 SM 2.7 carb, Star Garnet Metallic
1972 DS 21EFI, LHD, SM steering, hydractive, Gris Espadon
About 8 XMs, now all deceased

chris8189
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 7309

Post by chris8189 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Great thread, and some fantastic photos Matthew T! I'm certainly all things XM, but I'm also a prospective CX owner.

Chris

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
'98 'R' XM 2.0L SX Auto RP 7309

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat May 27, 2017 9:41 pm

I had forgotten the ventilation, Yes the CX was useless, insufficient ram effect because of the shape of the car. You could get a scoop to fit to the bonnet to improve it but I never saw one over here, I did see one in a French film though. The car did get warm eventually but you needed a good coat in the meantime. The XM had a brilliant heater.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset