Citroen XM V6 Dyno run

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
marc61
Citrobics expert

Re: Citroen XM V6 Dyno run

Post by marc61 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:21 pm

citroenxm wrote:Citroen did the same with the Cx.. the series one T1 cx gti turbo was 167bhp stock... they used those figures right to the end.. where s2 t2 gti cx got a bigger turbo plus an intercooler but were only ever quoted 167bhp where infact they were closer to 200 bhp .. i beleve 198bhp or so....
Now I hear mention of something called a CX, I must respond....... :D

The CX T1 engine had a much lower compression ratio (7.75:1) than the T2 (8.5:1) because they fitted an intercooler to the T2, but the turbo's themselves had the same A/R ratio (0.42 for the compressor wheel, 0.48 for the turbine) and were set to run at the same boost pressure at maximum torque engine speed (8psi). A T1 turbo can be fitted to a T2 car and vice versa provided the compressor housings are swapped, because the air outlet mouth of the casting and hose diameter was different on the T2.

The T1 was thirstier and more sluggish low down. Whether the T2 actually made more peak power I'm not sure and I've never read that Citroen claimed a higher bhp value for it, but it certainly felt faster off boost and the fuel consumption was significantly better. If the boost was turned up more than a little bit the knock sensor would abruptly cause the computer to retard the ignition as soon as you put your foot down, not nice. But with the Maikonics conversion the T1 could run 13psi (230hp) and the T2 15psi (250hp). I had it done to the T2 I had in 1994 and if memory serves me right it was the 44th CX that Maikonics had converted.

They mapped it to 35psi as standard, so mega power could be made by those who were nuts enough and rich enough to go beyond the 250hp level. Back then there were a few people who fitted water cooled ball bearing turbo's, T3/T4 hybrids, cams, RS500 intercoolers etc and made a lot more power. The most famous being CGAT. I recall in the mid 90s Maikonics used to take customers for a ride in a heavily modified T1, that was making well in excess of 350 bhp - blisteringly quick, total scenery distortion whilst the Diravi held it straight and no torque steer!

Anyway thought I'd write this down in case it's of interest.

Cheers

Marc
1987 CX GTi Turbo 2, RHD, Maikonics, Quaife LSD, Cassis Nacre
1972 SM 2.7 carb, Star Garnet Metallic
1972 DS 21EFI, LHD, SM steering, hydractive, Gris Espadon
About 8 XMs, now all deceased