Headlight dazzle - UN and RAC report

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Headlight dazzle - UN and RAC report

Post by White Exec » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Found this an interesting read, and echoes my own experience...
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/rac/pressr ... essrelease

Many post-halogen headlights seem to work more as floodlights than properly profiled and focussed beams, with little control of scatter, and sometimes a real difficulty in telling main from dip.

The tendency towards blue light only makes this worse, since blue (shorter wavelength) light scatters more than the (longer wavelength) red-yellow-green end of the spectrum. It's the reason why sunsets look red; the blue light from the sun is scattered into the atmosphere and space, leaving the red-end to punch through.

As John and others have often pointed out, unapproved HID/blue conversions can be amongst the worst for scatter and dazzle, especially in headlight units not designed for them.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

renault760
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Headlight dazzle - UN and RAC report

Post by renault760 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 pm

I think that modern headlamps tend to be too bright. Over the past few years I've had to do a lot of night driving for work and was always flashing on-coming cars thinking that they had full beam on only to get a massive blast of light back in reply. You would think that these drivers would get sick of getting flashed and perhaps start to wonder why.

I started wearing those supposedly "anti dazzle" glasses and have to say that I do think they helped.

Also, overly bright headlamps make it harder to see past them and to pick out other vehicles that may not have such bright lights.

Still, overly bright headlamps not such a problem for us XMers, eh?

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 am

I would concur, its sometimes difficult to distinguish dipped lights from main beam but I think a lot of the problem is misalignment although headlights in general seem to vary from car to car. I was looking at the approaching traffic on the M5 the other night and you often see rows of cars with an acceptable light pattern and then the odd one or two that blind you.

Relatively modern headlights are certainly brighter, I think my 406 head lights are the brightest I have ever had in 60+ years of motoring and they are very white indicating they have almost full battery voltage. The XM headlights were abysmal on dip.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Pshemsky
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Pshemsky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:18 am

It's not always related to new type of headlamps. I'm on the road (work) every night and quite often get dazzled by other vehicles, due to inappropriate installation of light bulb. So even on dipped mode the beam from headlight goes up towards the sky (unfortunately some lorry drivers have a problem with replacing and fitting a light bulb in right way too).
And from the other side. Just wondering how is possible that these 'yellowish bulbs' are legal to use ? I saw few vehicles with 'warm white' lights and must admit that impressed that they can drive in the night time with such a poor visibility :)
Regards
Prem

XM 2.5 TD (1996)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

+ Mitsubishi Grandis
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)

djg
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 7261

Post by djg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am

Probably no accounting for tastes [emoji9] but I had yellow bulbs in all my Citroëns, except for the Xm (and not just slightly yellowish tint but the real, strong one). And I really liked them. No complaints about poor visibility at all. I wouldn't hesitate for a single moment now if any of the major vendors provided their usual ultra bright bulbs we all use in yellow.
Bye,
Gábor

1996 XM 2.5 Turbo D VSX (LHD, Bleu Mauritius)
1986 BX 19 TRI Break (LHD, Rouge Vallelunga) deceased
1996 AX 14 D (LHD, Alaska White) in family

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Prem

Yellow and white are the permitted colours for headlights.
The requirement is that individual pairs of lights must be the same colour. not that they must be white.
The XM when introduced in May 1989 was supplied with yellow headlight bulbs.

In practice strong Blue light is more than twice as irritating to the eye as strong yellow light.
Yellowish light is far better than bright white in fog or mist.

As you point out bulb aim is critical to controlling dazzle.
Effects of dazzle are directly related to light intensity and volume of blue component in the light.
Bulbs we see as pure white contain a significant blue component.

Headlight intensity is a separate problem.
In the UK intensity was controlled by permitted bulb type and wattage.
Then HID bulbs came along with nearly five times the light intensity for the permitted wattage.
Even the low wattage version HID's give three times the light intensity.
There were steps in the UK to restrict the use of HID's but they obtained EU approval.
Retro fit HID's with Halogen reflectors are not legal for road use in the UK.
The market is flooded with retro kits and control of incorrect use virtually impossible.

From what I have seen recently the rapid advances with LED lighting will overtake both Halogen and HID.
The LED motorcycle headlamp bulb output already outstrips Halogen and matches HID.
Car LED bulbs are now reaching the market.
They are already available in both single and dual beam format.
I expect them to progress quickly to triple format (Main/Dip/DLR).
The dual beam format uses a single reflector with separately positioned light chips for Main and for Dip.
Power consumption of these LED bulbs is around one fifth that needed to run a Halogen bulb.

John

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:50 am

At the opposite end of the spectrum in my experience blue bulbs are useless.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Assich
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 5678

Post by Assich » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:54 am

Anyone swapped hid for led and can review the differences.
1992 build 2.0i Prestige Auto

Assich
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 5678

Post by Assich » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:55 am

Anyone swapped hid for led and can review the differences.
1992 build 2.0i Prestige Auto