"How to do" files

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
DerekW
Knows how to use the parking brake

"How to do" files

Post by DerekW » Sun May 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Gang, regarding the possibility of resurrecting the XM Forum database. I was going through my hard drives today and found a number of "How to do" files that I'd downloaded. With apologies to the originators should I post them on our new site? I thought it might make a start.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

Dean
Global Moderator

Re: "How to do" files

Post by Dean » Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 am

Hi Derek

If you have the permision of the person who created the how to, ie one of the now moderators here or those who have given their permision in the permisions thread then yes copy away :D

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Mon May 04, 2009 2:04 pm

That'll be a no then.

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Derek,

Do you know who created the files in question?

Ciarán

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Mon May 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Ciaran,

I thought the "How to" section on the old forum was an excellent facility, the first place to go if you had a problem. Too much excellent stuff disappeared into limbo once it was written - I know it was accessible through the search engine but really - life's too short!

I was hoping that you might consider expanding this site to include something like this, and also maybe the same sort of major headings to focus attention on particular areas. I appreciate that you don't want to produce a carbon copy of the old site but I suggest there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The existence of those headings made ClubXM easier to deal with than, for example, the esteemed FCF.

Much of the info I have comes from when I purchased Noz's CD of the Series 2 manual (2005). He asked if I wanted anything else putting on the CD and I asked for the contents of the "How to" files. Most of the stuff bears his name but there is one exception, the writeup on window winders was produced by John (XMexclusive). I also have George's (Jorgy) excellent write up on hydraulic suspensions and my own poor effort on the washer tank repair.

Most of it has been saved in .pdf or .odt format and I had anticipated just transferring those files across. In my innocence I assumed that provided the originators' names appeared (plagiarism is not my bag) and as they had originally published the info for public consumption there would be no problem.

The list so far is:

S1 window winder to S2 - John Manning
ABS sensor - Norrie
Heater - Norrie
Locks - Norrie
Window repair - Norrie
Dot Matrix - Norrie
Suspension ECU repair - Norrie
Hydraulic suspension - Jorgy
Washer tank repair - DerekW

I'm sure there's much more hidden away - tidiness is not a strongpoint with me and my hard drives bear a marked resemblance to my study - and to my garage/workshop. I don't even know if it's possible to just transfer the files across to the forum. Despite having bought my first computer in 1985 I'm still a tyro.

What do you think? If it's going to cause complications I won't bother.

Derek

PS. Dean, how about re-posting your 4HP18 strip on the site? That should surely be in a permanent "How to" section?

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm

Derek

I will be re-posting it but it was only 30% complete when CXM went down, and am in the middle of stripping the Estate i got at the moment and although not iminant now, a house move could be taking place soon and i dont want to do it with an auto box in peices :shock: . so the box has been re-assembled and the project is on hold for the moment, it will happen though :D

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Derek,

We do have the 'Self Help files' section, which was intended to be this site's equivilant of that information from Club-XM.

With regard to the sections, the ones I originally created were just generic placeholders, they probably could do with being more specific, however I was wary about creating too many and causing a dilution of information.
If you have a more specific list of what sections you believe should exist, please do post them here and we can see what would be feasible. I do think it would be prudent if primarily John, Dean, Paul and Peter were involved in this, as they're the ones who are in charge of content catagorisation and management in those forums at the moment.

Ciarán

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Mon May 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Derek

Feel free to post anything writen by me, I've already given my consent in the relevant area here.

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 pm

I apologise for my ignorance Ciaran. I always click on "Citroen XM", it never entered my head to look in "Board index". Now I've done so I see you've already done everything I suggested.

Derek

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Mon May 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Derek,

No apology needed, I realise the layout of the sections may not be entirely logical at the moment! :)

Ciarán