Trip to France for Centenary Business

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
ul9601
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: don't have any

Trip to France for Centenary Business

Post by ul9601 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:15 pm

So with this centenary business going on, I thought I'd also visit some other car museums and such.
The impression I got was they shut up shop at Citroen C42 and either in the process of moving the conservatoire or already moved it.
As most of you are in the UK (and some in France), I'm hoping some of you can possibly help me out with whether these places are open and any good and what not.

I'd like to visit:
Citroen C42 (think missed the boat on this one)
Conservatoire
L'Aventure Michelin
L'Aventure Peugeot
Manoir de l'Automobile
Musée des 24 Heures du Mans
Musée des Citroën - Citromuseum
Musee Matra (L'Espace Automobiles Matra)
Chateau de Savigny-les-Beaune
Cité de l'Automobile
Musée de la 2cv

Cheers
Sam a.k.a. sonoramicommando in FCF
'91 carb'd 2.0 manual

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Re: Trip to France for Centenary Business

Post by xantia_v6 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:43 am

Commenting on the ones that I know...

Conservatoire --- (visited 2017) A good collection of the first 40 years of Citroen cars, but a bit of an eclectic jumble for the newer stuff. Cars jammed together and sign-boarding rather hit-or-miss. It feels like a warehouse full of old cars rather than a curated museum.

L'Aventure Peugeot --- (visited 2016) All of the money not spent on the Conservatoire was apparently spent here. A good display of all Peugeot products, but a bit patchy 60s-on. Well displayed and worth a visit. You can also pre-book a tour of the adjoining factory (although it is not the most up-to-date facility)

Chateau de Savigny-les-Beaune --- (visited every year because it is only 8km from our place in France) Totally eclectic, a real experience, but don't expect too much of the car collection. The collection of quirky (European) motorcycles is superb, the fighter plane collection is impressive but sad.

Cité de l'Automobile (visited about 8 times, last in 2016) One of the best, particularly for Bugatti, and a very good general collection mainly spanning 1920s-1950s. Worth a detour.

Also worth visiting if you are going past....

Musée de l'automobile Henri Malartre (near Lyon, visited 2016) a quirky but very good collection, especially for French cars 1890 - 1920.

Musée Automobile Reims Champagne (Reims, last visited 2018) a good general collection of French cars, 1910-1980. Displays a bit tired, but possibly an XM in the collection!
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

ul9601
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: don't have any

Re: Trip to France for Centenary Business

Post by ul9601 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 am

Hey thanks much appreciated - now you mention it, I wonder if there is a museum dedicated for work done by Figoni et Falaschi...
Do you split your time between France and NZ - Summer all year around? :)
Sam a.k.a. sonoramicommando in FCF
'91 carb'd 2.0 manual