XMs - Year & Spec Question...

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
chillmax
Knows how to use the parking brake

XMs - Year & Spec Question...

Post by chillmax » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi All

A quickie, XM is a P-reg/ 97, looks like a final spec model, Monte Carlo Alloys etc, if it's a V6 will it be a 24v or could it be a standard?

Cheers - Justin

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Re: XMs - Year & Spec Question...

Post by citroenmad » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Monte carlo alloys? Which are those?

Probably a 24v i would think, i thought all V6 S2 Xms were?
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Justin

As I understand it all RHD Mk2 V6 XM's Citroen imported into the UK were Autos.
A "P" reg V6 needs checking out for engine/box type.
1997 model year was the change over year from V6-12v engine/4HP18 autobox to V6-24v new engine/4HP20 autobox.
Most of these V6's were built to order so very limited numbers and usually very short time between build and registration.

John

chillmax

Post by chillmax » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Chaps

Thanks for those replies - interesting!!

Not all S2 V6's were 24v, Tony & I owned a nice M reg in the 12v, but this change over year is a tricky one, I have a funny sinking feeling this one isn't. Only thing giving me hope is that it was a Citroen Directors car, so I would have thought he was trying out their new flagship with the rocket boosters ;-) The 12v V6 is nice, but I do remember shouting sometimes "Come On Come On" :D

DId the 12v have the sport gearbox & snow buttons or was this just on the 24, I presume these options were possible due to the ZF4HP20 rather than the engine?

I'm lead to believe that 'Monte Carlo' is the name for the standard alloys on all late Exclusives, sometimes they seem to be referred to as 'Spider Web'.

i'll be disappointed if it's a12v, but the miles are so low, I don't think I can say no ;-)

I'll let you all know.

JJ

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by robertmnorton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi jj,from what i can work out the SKZ (ZPJ4 24 valve 90deg) was introduced in '91 and have "24v" embossed on the valve covers.The PRV (12v) engine was a maserati V8 (when Cit briefly owned them) with 2 cylinders lopped off and was fitted to the SM, along with various Renault and Volvlo applications,not forgetting the Delorean and Alpine GTA.The SKZ was a development from this until a completely new alloy 60deg ESJ engine was developed.I can't upload the file for the SKZ as the it is too large,but check the "private cars 2001" link,there is a lot of data here.
Robertm.

ps,have you tried putting your VIN number in the citroen service site and selecting characteristics,this will give you the full spec for the car.
Last edited by robertmnorton on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:35 pm

robertmnorton wrote:Hi jj,from what i can work out the SKZ (ZPJ4 24 valve 90deg) was introduced in '91 and have "24v" embossed on the valve covers.The PRV (12v) engine was a maserati V8 (when Cit briefly owned them) with 2 cylinders lopped off and was fitted to the SM, along with various Renault and Volvlo applications,not forgetting the Delorean and Alfa GTA.The SKZ was a development from this until a completely new alloy 60deg ESJ engine was developed.I can't upload the file for the SKZ as the it is too large,but check the "private cars 2001" link,there is a lot of data here.
Robertm
I'm afraid that the PRV V6 was not fitted to the SM, and does not have Maserati origins.

The SM V6 was indeed in essence a Maserati V8 with two cylinders lopped off, however the PRV V6 was designed from scratch in the early 70s after Volvo joined the Peugeot/Renault engine co-operative (Citroen was not Peugeot owned at this point). The original design was for a V8 (hence the unfortunate 90 degree format) however following the 1973 energy crisis it was decided a V6 would be the way forward, and as with the SM two cylinders were deleted.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

robertmnorton

Post by robertmnorton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Jonathan,i have to admit to acquiring conflicting information from several books and was surely confused, i thought originally, as you say, that the PRV was a new design fostered by Peugeot,Renault and Volvo.Somewhere, something i have read threw me.Will have to find it all again.Thanks.
Robertm

XMX

Post by XMX » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:10 pm

citroenmad wrote:Monte carlo alloys? Which are those ?
Hi Chris,
The Monte Carlo alloys are as fitted to this 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive recently sold on CAR and CLASSIC.
But as this should be a post June1998/99 manufactured (RP7847 >) XM there actually called 'Ville De Monte Carlo' due to the thinner section thro' the wheel rim/hub and the shorter 42mm stud/bolts (So if your fitting 'Monte Carlo' or 'Etoile' alloys off another XM which don't come with the original stud/bolts make sure you source the correct ones) refer to pages 9,10 &11 (Thumbnails 11,12 &13 respectively) of THIS pdf file :!:

I hope this may be of help to you to decipher the correct name for the sometimes called 'Spider/Spider Web' and 'Wobbly web/Jelly fish' alloys ;)
An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

chillmax

Post by chillmax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:25 am

Just to round this one off, it's a .........................

12v!

Oh well, you can't have everything, and I do find the trade off for the 24v speed, is the annoying ZF4HP20, with in my experience the 12v & ZF4HP18 being very gentle & refined in it's speed output.

Cheers All - Justin