C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
citroenxm
Global Moderator
Posts: 8444
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am
Location: North Wales - FAR far far away!!! :-p

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by citroenxm » Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 am

Jaki1122 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:28 am
citroenxm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am
You might change your mind once you learn about all the expensive fails it suffers from..

Wiper motors (yes two) aren't cheap
Steering racks.. aren't cheap
Heater control panels
Window regulators cables
Air con condensers..
Front Bottom Bush's are a nice dinner for it too
Nice try :D but as much as I love a somewhat needy car (as long as its worth it for some reason), still it doesn't do it for me. C6 and the other C5 are ok, in fact, I almost bought a C5 before getting the XM and probably I'll end up getting a C6 when the prices get a bit lower (at which point my XM will be used only for events, special ocasions and fully restored outside and inside).
It isn't a nice try .. it's what all the owners complain about on C5 owners UK on Facebook. I've not made it up. Those are the failure items. All big money.. wiper motors.. 280 EACH. To me that's a joke.. when the mk.1 units don't even fail..
1990 H reg V6 24v Manual .. in progress.. on SORN
Projects:
92 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
Others
07 c5 2.2 hdi 173bhp manual

Dieselman
Global Moderator
Posts: 11283
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by Dieselman » Tue May 26, 2020 6:41 am

My understanding of the issue with the 2.2hdi, is that they suffer with coked up intakes due to excessive Egr.
Blocked Dpf can be cleaned out to be as new.
If any errors show for the Dpf, its worth checking the differential sensor pipes aren't perished and cracked.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Jaki1122
Knows how to use the parking brake
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 1:36 am
Orga / RP numbers: 5909

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by Jaki1122 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:24 am

citroenxm wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 am
Jaki1122 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:28 am
citroenxm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am
You might change your mind once you learn about all the expensive fails it suffers from..

Wiper motors (yes two) aren't cheap
Steering racks.. aren't cheap
Heater control panels
Window regulators cables
Air con condensers..
Front Bottom Bush's are a nice dinner for it too
Nice try :D but as much as I love a somewhat needy car (as long as its worth it for some reason), still it doesn't do it for me. C6 and the other C5 are ok, in fact, I almost bought a C5 before getting the XM and probably I'll end up getting a C6 when the prices get a bit lower (at which point my XM will be used only for events, special ocasions and fully restored outside and inside).
It isn't a nice try .. it's what all the owners complain about on C5 owners UK on Facebook. I've not made it up. Those are the failure items. All big money.. wiper motors.. 280 EACH. To me that's a joke.. when the mk.1 units don't even fail..
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding here. I didn't wanted to offend you, nor to say you made it up or anything. I thought you were saying all those faults were from the 1st gen C5 and I actually like somewhat needy cars (because I enjoy working on them), so I thought your point was 1st gen is more needy, so is more like the XM so is more attractive. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:

citroenxm
Global Moderator
Posts: 8444
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am
Location: North Wales - FAR far far away!!! :-p

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by citroenxm » Wed May 27, 2020 5:56 am

Jaki1122 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:24 am
citroenxm wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 am
Jaki1122 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:28 am
citroenxm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am
You might change your mind once you learn about all the expensive fails it suffers from..

Wiper motors (yes two) aren't cheap
Steering racks.. aren't cheap
Heater control panels
Window regulators cables
Air con condensers..
Front Bottom Bush's are a nice dinner for it too
Nice try :D but as much as I love a somewhat needy car (as long as its worth it for some reason), still it doesn't do it for me. C6 and the other C5 are ok, in fact, I almost bought a C5 before getting the XM and probably I'll end up getting a C6 when the prices get a bit lower (at which point my XM will be used only for events, special ocasions and fully restored outside and inside).
It isn't a nice try .. it's what all the owners complain about on C5 owners UK on Facebook. I've not made it up. Those are the failure items. All big money.. wiper motors.. 280 EACH. To me that's a joke.. when the mk.1 units don't even fail..
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding here. I didn't wanted to offend you, nor to say you made it up or anything. I thought you were saying all those faults were from the 1st gen C5 and I actually like somewhat needy cars (because I enjoy working on them), so I thought your point was 1st gen is more needy, so is more like the XM so is more attractive. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:
No. Amazingly those faults are for the mk.3 (2008 onwards) if you like X7 modelled to be like a German car.. so to have these issues they are expensive issues like German cars...
1990 H reg V6 24v Manual .. in progress.. on SORN
Projects:
92 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
Others
07 c5 2.2 hdi 173bhp manual

User avatar
White Exec
Citroen God!
Posts: 5702
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by White Exec » Wed May 27, 2020 6:50 am

The lengthy string of faults and unreliable components listed relates chiefly to C5 III (X7), and have been written about on FCF for some time now. Repeately leaking steering racks (an unprotected and rust-prone steering pinion shaft) and failing front suspension struts (on the hydropneumatic models) are among the more expensive issues, along with flooding of the electric hydraulic pump by a leaking reservoir above it. The electrics/electronics are considerably more complex and sensitive than XM, and present a real challenge to DIY owners trying to fix and maintain.

Consensus seems to be that C5 I is a much more reliable beast, with C5 II offering essentially a facelift and re-style. The Insignia-based C5 III is a different car altogether. Personally, I would not want to own one, based on what I continue to read.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
2003 RAV4 D4D 2.0 5dr LHD Silver WORKHORSE
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998-2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001-2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator
Posts: 8444
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am
Location: North Wales - FAR far far away!!! :-p

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by citroenxm » Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 am

White Exec wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:50 am
The lengthy string of faults and unreliable components listed relates chiefly to C5 III (X7), and have been written about on FCF for some time now. Repeately leaking steering racks (an unprotected and rust-prone steering pinion shaft) and failing front suspension struts (on the hydropneumatic models) are among the more expensive issues, along with flooding of the electric hydraulic pump by a leaking reservoir above it. The electrics/electronics are considerably more complex and sensitive than XM, and present a real challenge to DIY owners trying to fix and maintain.

Consensus seems to be that C5 I is a much more reliable beast, with C5 II offering essentially a facelift and re-style. The Insignia-based C5 III is a different car altogether. Personally, I would not want to own one, based on what I continue to read.
Lol. Isn't that roughly what I said just above Chris.. that's a good wider explanation.. but for me there is just toooooo much that goes wrong for a newer car..
1990 H reg V6 24v Manual .. in progress.. on SORN
Projects:
92 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
Others
07 c5 2.2 hdi 173bhp manual

User avatar
White Exec
Citroen God!
Posts: 5702
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by White Exec » Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 am

citroenxm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am
You might change your mind once you learn about all the expensive fails it suffers from..

Wiper motors (yes two) aren't cheap
Steering racks.. aren't cheap
Heater control panels
Window regulators cables
Air con condensers..
Front Bottom Bush's are a nice dinner for it too
I thought you were commenting about the Mk1 that James has just bought.
Agreed, the demon is the X7.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
2003 RAV4 D4D 2.0 5dr LHD Silver WORKHORSE
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998-2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001-2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator
Posts: 8444
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am
Location: North Wales - FAR far far away!!! :-p

Re: C5 Mk1 estate - bargain!

Post by citroenxm » Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 am

Nooo Chris.. because the previous comment to mine said the X7 was a nicer car..

I'm a big mk.1 fan..
1990 H reg V6 24v Manual .. in progress.. on SORN
Projects:
92 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
Others
07 c5 2.2 hdi 173bhp manual

Post Reply