Looks like it is the end

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Woodie
Knows how to use the parking brake

Looks like it is the end

Post by Woodie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm

My lovely Xm died today, after having the auxiliary belt tensioners and idler pulleys replaced ready for a trip to Devon... The idler belt decides it would shred itself and wind around the pulley and crowd into the cam belt... I am totally gutted. She is a 2.1 turbo diesel exclusive mk2...

Myself having just been made redundant and disabled, i don't see it being economical to repair... My garage who did the f***ing auxiliary belts of course are dodging said issue...

That aside if i have to scrap her and its looking very likely there are some good parts on her and she drove like a dream.... Gutted
Richard

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Looks like it is the end

Post by citroenxm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Would it help if I told you new belt .. new crank pully and a few rocker fingers would see her right .

The 2.1s do not bend valves instead shear the rocker fingers.. the cam shaft and cam carrier needs to come off but it's not a head off job..be a shame for you to loose your car..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:14 pm

The job done by the garage will be covered by some sort of warranty/guarantee, for both parts fitted and the labour.
This will be for a specified period (maybe 12 months, maybe less), but there will be some period involved.
If the garage are not helpful, then your local Trading Standards should be approached.
Membership of AA/RAC/etc will include tech and legal advice too.

If the garage refitted previously used parts (eg a belt) without cautioning you about doing this, and you gave no specific instruction to them to re-use parts, then it was their judgement that the parts were suitable and serviceable. If they made a wrong call over this, they are at fault, and should rectify the damage.

You paid them to perform a job, and it is reasonable to expect the result to be of merchantable quality and serviceable, for a reasonable period of time.
Last edited by White Exec on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 pm

I wanted to point out that so many places are quick to say the valves will be bent.... Engine wrecked etc etc where in fact it wont be.. I've done a few 2.1s now.. but deafenatly not a head off job..

I agree on the garage. Unless they really oversaw the issue with the tensioner on the aux belt.. or with complete in competence didn't know what they were doing. It seems a bit obvious that if they have done work in that area then theres a failure soon after it seem fairly obvious where the blame should be..

Others

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:22 am

It does seem like an issue for Trading Standards to be notified about.
You may have legal cover with either your house or car insurance and the garage will have Public liability insurance.
It's hard to see how the garage are denying liability if the fault is a result of work they have performed.
I suspect the new belt was mis-aligned, so frayed.
Check the pulleys for alignment.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Woodie

Post by Woodie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks for the input guys.
I have a problem with this as in the garage have looked after myself and my wife is also disabled for many years now, i have never been able to fault their work and kept us running despite s having very limited finances, so they probably didn't replace the belt thinking they were helping us out. Taking legal action against them would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the times they helped me out.
This doesn't stop me being angry though i will admit, for the sake of a £20 belt. They have said they will look at the car when they can in a couple of weeks (They are insanely busy).
Now i have some questions if the car sinks down can it be raised without the engine running ?

Would anyone on here be interested in the car? ( Mathew knows it and has done work replacing all the spheres) it has been well looked after and never given me any problems till now, new Michelin pilots just fitted to the front...
Xm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:13 am

Yes you could raise it.. it will just be a matter of powering the HP pump.. I've done this before now but putting an m8 bolt on the pully centre and using a powerful drill with a 13mm socket on it to spin the pump but my god you dont realise how much power is needed when the regulator kicks in and out..

Others

Degens

Post by Degens » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Dear Woodie/Richard,

I am so sorry to read about your experience. I felt the same at some stage when they told me my beautiful P820 UNM was a write off. I had been at several garages for repair, but they were either unwilling to repair because it was 'an old car' and/or it was an amount that I did not have they asked for the repair. I was so pleased that 'citroenxm' has helped me out at the time and I still have the car, that passed the MOT this year again! The message by him here sounds rather positive, if someone can do it (I am just a biologist.... and not a handy man (I wish I was)) for you. I know how we all here love these cars and feel devastated when after all your care it falls apart due to an error. Perhaps talk with your garage and approach them positively thanking them for all the care for your car all these years, and asking if they perhaps could restore it to working order again. Maybe they are ok to do so, and otherwise, maybe, maybe you are as lucky as I was 5 years ago, and someone here is happy to come to your rescue. I hope it will all be well and wished I could do more.

Hans

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:23 pm

That is good advice as a first port of call.
After all the years you've been a customer, they should be doing the right thing, and returning the car to a working state.
Could be that they've also had time to think it over again.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

Woodie

Post by Woodie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 am

Degens wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:54 pm
Dear Woodie/Richard,

I am so sorry to read about your experience. I felt the same at some stage when they told me my beautiful P820 UNM was a write off. I had been at several garages for repair, but they were either unwilling to repair because it was 'an old car' and/or it was an amount that I did not have they asked for the repair. I was so pleased that 'citroenxm' has helped me out at the time and I still have the car, that passed the MOT this year again! The message by him here sounds rather positive, if someone can do it (I am just a biologist.... and not a handy man (I wish I was)) for you. I know how we all here love these cars and feel devastated when after all your care it falls apart due to an error. Perhaps talk with your garage and approach them positively thanking them for all the care for your car all these years, and asking if they perhaps could restore it to working order again. Maybe they are ok to do so, and otherwise, maybe, maybe you are as lucky as I was 5 years ago, and someone here is happy to come to your rescue. I hope it will all be well and wished I could do more.

Hans
Thank you Hans for your kind words, i am somewhat torn between repairing and the expense that will entail and scrapping, i shall have to think things over
Kind Regards Richard
Richard