The Citroën Classic Challenge 2012 event news

Want to share pics and writeups from any interesting car shows and events you may have attended? This is the place...
Citroenesque
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: Raid into France

Post by Citroenesque » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:10 pm

PS Sorry for the picture heavy aspect of the previous post: these are only 640 pixels wide so hopefully it won't have been too inconvenient, chaps!

Much has been talked about a follow-up to the BXagon Challenge; much of it by me and some of the other participants. I know I could be accused as having some sort of big ego issues in wanting to be the organiser of such a thing but the calling is there and I feel I need to at least have a go at doing another event. So bear with me.

First, successful though the BXagon was (well, we all returned in one piece and we did raise a few grand for a worthy cause whilst still having a good time), it was flawed. The concept was too big for most and indeed the amount of commitment in money and time was just too great. (Having said that, it will remain in the memories of the participants for a long time and I believe that some who opted out before the start probably regret it now having seen the pics and read the anecdotes!).

So how can we make another event as good, but more accessible, challenging and less costly for all involved?

Here's an idea:
Rather than do 3,000 miles over 12 days, I'm considering 1,000 miles in five to seven days. ('Why' I here you ask 'is it not 1/3 or the time if it's only 1/3 of the distance?'… there's a reason, read on…).

It's open to anyone with a Citroën.

The route will expressly avoid the autoroutes (and other major carriageways where possible). There will be challenges, observation and navigation tasks, riddles and other little bits of fun to complete).

The halfway point needs to be something a bit special like joining up with a French Citroën Club somewhere.

Accommodation was a killer last time and few of us (being honest) found that aspect satisfactory: and for those of us who stayed in hotels it was bloody expensive too. So I suggest holding this event at a time when camping will be available. It will also help to build the camaraderie if can all gather around of an evening and chat about the day's events - and those to come.

It might be nice if we could meet up for lunch now and then along the route as well as just rendezvous in the evenings. It also means we are possibly more likely to drive around in convoy 'batches'.

I will be suggesting some alternative routes and dates over the next few days, so if you're interested, watch this space (PM any suggestions to me and I'll try to incorporate them).

Finally (for now) the 'big question'….

How much will it cost my team and how will the Charity benefit?

My initial thoughts are each team should pay entry of say, £200. The lion's share of that goes directly to the Charity via JustGiving (because GiftAid meant that CRUK received more than £900 extra last time). Off the top of my head, maybe £25 of that will go to administration (communications and printing) and the purchase of stickers, although more might be needed if we need 'props' for our tasks (TBC).

So, in addition to the entry fee (which could be in part collected as donations from friends, neighbours, colleagues and family as well as sponsorship from a company(?) there would be the cost of travel to the port, the Channel crossing itself - free if you have sufficient Tesco vouchers, food and camping and other (either optional or necessary Hotel stop over), fuel and insurance(s). I would estimate allowing c.£500 for a six-day event per team... Possibly less - it depends on a few factors like exchange rate and fuel prices. That means if we planned it for, say May/June 2012 that'd mean putting less than a tenner in a pot per week from next month…

Ah well that's all for now folks...
Phil Chidlow
1995 Citroen ZX 1.9D Avantage 3 door, white 106k miles.

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by messerschmitt owner » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 pm

think I'd be up for that - could we arrange a day in a French scrapyard? 2012 is a long way away though - wouldn't 2011 be better - there's still nine months to organise something.

Tesco vouchers are great for the tunnel - but it may be worth trying to get a decent ferry deal, especially if ten or twenty cars are going!

Tell you what, I'm daft enough to want to help organise a trip.

A week is long enough for a trip - and France is the preferred holiday destination at the moment.

supermarket diesel in france is €1.12.9 at the moment - which is cheaper than their veg oil ...
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 pm

The reason I am suggesting 2012 is that, difficult to believe it may be, eight or nine months is not enough notice for many. It puts a financial burden on some if the funds need to be raised quick-ish and also some have will have already committed to a summer holiday. In my experience plotting this in advance by such a margin means brownie point cost is minimised (if you are married with kids you'll know what I mean!). I can't do next year at that time, but although that's clearly not a reason to postpone it, if I can't do it, I can't organise it lol! It also gives us time to co-ordinate with the CCC as a whole and establish some link up with a French club. Not only that if we can 'piggy-back' an event such as those held at Magny-cours/Lurcy-Levis etc. then that would add to the appeal.

2011 needs to have a precursor event - maybe a dry run by a volunteer team - to set the tasks and riddles etc. It'd be great to do some sort of landmark treasure hunt maybe. But as well as that, a quick run to the museum at Loheac is still on the cards (but that's a club jolly; no pretences about it benefiting a charity!).

Oh, and a scrapyard visit is essential!

Phil

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Oh, and also it's the 30th Anniversary of the BX, (and 25 years of the AX, 20 years (I think) of the ZX too)

messerschmitt owner

Post by messerschmitt owner » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Citroenesque wrote:Oh, and also it's the 30th Anniversary of the BX, (and 25 years of the AX, 20 years (I think) of the ZX too)
I've a daughter and wife, hence the suggestion of summer holidays so I could bring the little monster with me.

My summer holiday was to be in Cork next year - but I can cope with a week elsewhere too - however, I don't see my wife joining on this one, but doubt she'd be bothered if I was away a week avec ou sans notre fille.

Anyway, happy to volunteer to help and plan to come in 2012 (not April 2012 though as there are Titanic anniversaries I shall be going to)
Image[/url]

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

PM me your details and we can have a phone conversation/exchange of e-mails if you want to help organise. :D As I said, we might need someone to trail-blaze and/or help concoct the challenges.

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 pm

There have been interesting exchanges on the BXC forum and FCF (less so on the CCC Forum as it's always very quiet there)...

If you are interested in participating, give 'em a read.

But to cut to the chase:

So, on to an idea for the route. Many have expressed an urge to visit somewhere a bit mountainous. Of course the options are limited given our time/distance constraints, but the Jura Mountains seem a good bet...

Citroën Challenge 2012. Option 1

Draft route: Map at the ready…

Start point Calais.
Day ONE
Calais to Nancy
via Cambrai and Verdun. This takes the cars through some lovely countryside as well as allowing a 'themed' WW1 quiz trail for instance. Avesnes-sur-Helpe, possibly, for lunch/picnic. 325 miles.

Day TWO
Nancy to Solothurn, Switzerland
via Mulhouse (lots of options for visits around here, plus a rather good breakers yard near there) and up into the Jura Mountain region. 200 miles.

Day THREE
Solothurn to Villefranche-s-Saône
via Neuchâtel (Hilly bits and lakes). 205 miles.

Day FOUR (Option A)
This is if we have been able to arrange a rendezvous with a French club at Nevers/Lurcy-Levis/Magny-Cours.
Villefranche-s-Saône to Nevers a short-ish run to ensure we get a reasonable amount of time at the destination. 135 miles.

OR

Day FOUR (Option B)
Villefranche-s-Saône to Nevers
via Vichy and Montluçon (lots of opportunity for navigation riddles/quiz). 220 miles.

Day FIVE
Nevers to Epernay
via Auxerre (possibly). An evening meet and event (tasting?) in the heart of Champagne country. 190 miles.

Day SIX
Epernay to Calais
via Eperleques/St. Omer (possibly). 215 miles.

Total mileage: 1,270 to 1,355

IMPORTANT: If the basic IDEA of the above meets with general approval and I get the impression that we will get some teams participating, I will look into camping and other accommodation options. It could be that we need to substantially shift a way-point or two to allow for camping over, but I need to start somewhere.

OK, that's the first. I like it because it includes - at a scrape - some impressive mountain scenery, a big lake, some historical landmarks and the odd automotive attraction, as well as the opportunity for a central France get-together with a domestic Club. There's a pretty good variety of scenery and cultural regions and a reasonable variety in roads, although with the first stage we need to acknowledge that in order to thrust deep into the territory, we must make use of a motorway or two.

Anyway. Thoughts?

Phil

messerschmitt owner

Post by messerschmitt owner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 am

Phil

I think that’s a great route and it was very similar to one we had thought of for this year’s French holiday. I understand the mountain aspect, but also the time constraints for many of us. I am keen to go and help and this route has the best of both worlds. I do have a French campsite book at home so can start checking possible campsites en route. That will be the real determiner of daily start/stop points. 200 miles a day is as much as we want to do – that’s still a four hour drive with no stops - and in real terms on D routes will be five-six hours. While our cars are capable of long distances comfortably, a holiday where all one does is drive, eat and sleep is a bit naff. I would have thought we all want some time to relax, to see a sight or two, to have time to pitch a tent in late afternoon, before dinner, and not at nine o’clock in the dark. Pitching a tent takes 20 mins a night, and I’d rather have the luxury of doing it at a sensible time and that precludes too much driving.

I’d also have thought that for those of us who are likely to imbibe a little of the local liquor, that having to start at the crack of dawn will not give time for us to recover from the night before and I, for one, would like the luxury of being able to have a drink without having to start driving while still close to the drink drive limit.

What I’m saying is 200 miles a day is realistic, it gives time to see the scenery, time to do some shopping (for we have to eat), time to see some sights and time for a good chat. Using the motorhome for exactly this type of driving holiday has given me a feel for what is right. France is a beautiful country, much like the UK, with great contrasts in landscape and roads and it is easy to get carried away by wanting to keep on driving. Driving huge distances is tiring, you get no opportunity to see anything apart from the road itself. That’s no fun.

Am I being too miserable, I hope not – I’m just basing my observations on doing similar holidays and similar trips on an almost weekly basis. A smidgin over 200 miles a day is manageable and gives time to see some of the real France. Any more is just a rather long drive in a foreign country with very short stops and evenings when all one will want to do is pitch tent and go to bed.

Putting it into context, here are some 200 mile journeys (give or take).

Gloucester – Preston
Stirling to Morecambe
Bristol to Harwich
Birmingham to Dover
Exeter to Birmingham
Glasgow to Dingwall
Edinburgh to Sheffield
Belfast to Cork

Campbell
Image[/url]

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 am

OK, done my calculations etc.

Here is the announcement you've all been waiting for ... :lol: :roll:

Entry fee: Per CAR (team) will be just £50* Every team gets one main and two secondary sticker and a certificate at the end. *This assumes upwards of 10 participants. If less there will be a surcharge of a few quid.

Profits will be paid to Cancer Research UK via JustGiving (which will enable GiftAid to be included, adding 28%). Based on my sums with 30 teams that could amount to over £1,300.

T-Shirts and/or polo-shirts will be available at cost, plus £5 to CRUK, plus p&p.

Route plan and so on will be made available via e-mail. So: if you want to go on the list - REMEMBER it's limited to 30 places - e-mail me at yo.phil@btopenworld.com

Names I already have on my list are: From the BXC...
Me
Phil Boxall (Kermit)
Tim Leech (Roverman)
Ian Seabrook (Dollywobbler)
Andy (Arctic-steel)
Campbell (Messerschmitt)
Mark (mds141)
Mike E - but please confirm you'll also do the non-Alps version if that wins the poll, Mike
Todd (part of the route)

And possibilities:
Ray Fenwick
Mat Fenwick (although I assume you will, Mat?)
Wooscary
JayW

Anyone I've missed?

From the CCC:

Trainman possibly?

From the Club-XM:

nobody yet. (apart from Campbell, above)
But Robert is an obvious 'must-have' Wink

From the FCF:

Kev (Red_Dwarfers) - a possibility...

Early days, I know but it'd be good to build a 'core' of definites'...

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 am

Hi all, contact me with route preferences too if you like. I will make a final decision based on feedback at the end of the week.

It's either

The red route (Route A - Jura mountains etc. including a foray into central France) see below

or

The blue route (Route B - the Alps - including longer stages and possible an extra day). see below