The Citroën Classic Challenge 2012 event news

Want to share pics and writeups from any interesting car shows and events you may have attended? This is the place...
Citroenesque
Has changed a sphere or two

The Citroën Classic Challenge 2012 event news

Post by Citroenesque » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 am

As many will already know, there was an event last year, The BXagon Challenge which saw a bunch of BXers drive around the edge of France. We will have raised about £6,000 for Cancer Research UK (which wasn't bad considering half the planned number of teams took part). It is unlikely that those who took part will forget the event in a hurry, and it might be said that one of the highlights was a visit to Lohéac and Le Manoir de l'Automobile in Brittany.

I have briefly discussed with a few the idea of a Lohéac Raid and it seems something worth considering - maybe for Autumn this year. Check out http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/welcome/index.php

It wouldn't be for Charity but there'd be a voluntary contribution requested. I think the museum is one of the finest I've ever been to of it's kind. In many ways it's the best, because I like French cars!

A draft plan goes like this:
Rendezvous at the Ibis Hotel, Dinan ( http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-597 ... ndex.shtml ). Evening meal locally.
Morning: Breakfast, depart for the museum - allow an hour or so for that - meeting there at 10:30 am, giving two hours there before lunch in Lohéac - or nearby.
Afternoon: another hour and a half or so at the museum, it could still mean there'd be time for a drive to the PSA/Citroen factory outside Rennes (I could find out if there's a public area there - sometimes there's a mini-museum/press centre). But this isn't a major issue. There'll either be something there or there won't… we can decide once more is known.
Evening: Back to the hotel for another evening meal.

Next day, convoy to Le Mont St. Michel via Combourg (the scenic route) and then go our separate ways after that.

What are people's thoughts?

Phil
Last edited by Citroenesque on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Citroen ZX 1.9D Avantage 3 door, white 106k miles.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Raid into France

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:01 am

That looks like a really nice museum.

Have you been to the Collection Schlumpf at Mulhouse. Its massive, and not too far away from the the Musee Peugeot at Sohaux.

http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/

http://www.musee-peugeot.com/Front/index.aspx
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

Excellent - another reason for a trip to France: I must say, we drove Saverne to Pontarlier on the BXagon, (Day 2 stage) and it was really nice. There's a good breakers near there too.

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Bump...

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:05 am

This was last year's event, so it could be around the same time this year. Obviously I'll try to find out more; and what the theme might be this time...

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Mon May 10, 2010 11:35 am

Not getting a lot of interest in this - although some CCC members have expressed an interest. Let me know your thoughts as I am going anyway, I think. It's likely to be straddling the weekend 2/3 or possibly the 9/10th October. I need to establish when the autojumble's on but having looked into it, it's mainly a Renault affair so might actually be worth avoiding lol.

flez1966
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by flez1966 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:46 am

i'd need money for fuel and no doubt a passport...

I stil think a group of xm should attack that nurberg ring thing
Lez

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 am

In my experience the Nurburgring is the surest way to **** up your car. :roll: :D Not to mention yourself :(

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:35 pm

UPDATE

It seems lack of interest/free time (not to mention the sheer cost in cash and brownie points) has postponed this. I hope to announce an intended visit next Spring with all comers welcome and that will be specifically aimed at a visit to the museum in Loheac.

However, I have been asked by another CCC member if there's likely to be another BXagon-type event.

It depends on a lot of things, but in all probability, yes. It would take place in France (and there are a lot of Francophiles out there) with the aim being to string together some stages of largely non-autoroute touring. This time it would be an anti-clockwise affair and would require more of cars and drivers as I intend each stage to average more than the original*, with more camping (to reduce costs further). It is possibly earmarked for 2013.

*The BXagon Challenge 2009 had 11 stages (each averaging around 270 miles) with a midpoint stop over of one day. I think it could be reduced to 7 stages each of an average of 400 miles. That would make shared driving and some night driving part of the deal. More challenging, yes. Tougher on the cars? Yes. Worth doing in a 2CV? Not sure lol!

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 am

There have been some discussions about doing a 6-day event sometime in 2012. Watch this space.

In the meantime here are some pics from the BXagon 2009...

Citroen Rally - Return of the BXagon?