CCC CX, XM and Xantia Rally 2013 - 6/7/8 September.

Want to share pics and writeups from any interesting car shows and events you may have attended? This is the place...
Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: CCC CX, XM and Xantia Rally 2013 - 6/7/8 September.

Post by Dieselman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Neil.

What would you prefer to have done with the time? I'm sure the organisers are open to ideas.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Duke wrote:Dad and I have been having a chat and come up with one possible suggestion - Fish and Chip van on both the Friday and Saturday Night
The Fish & Chip van was there on Saturday night - we walked past it on our way down to the pub.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

Duke

Re:

Post by Duke » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Dean wrote:Are there any local takeaways, any who deliver? that could be the ultimate solution in my view.
Certainly something else to look into Dean - keep the suggestions coming folks...!
Eddie nuff wrote:Franklin, I've read your first post. Your comments are noted.
Ok...
Eddie nuff wrote:The Fish & Chip van was there on Saturday night - we walked past it on our way down to the pub.
Unofficially Neil - we never asked the Fish and Chip Van to call around on Saturday as we had the pub in place for the Saturday...
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54 pm

The fish and chip van is to die for... the fish most certainly..

I was gonna go back for another fish and they shut up and went..

I walked past the Van again on Sat.. I was under the impression the evening meal was that.. A meal. Sadly im not a big fan of cold buffets..

I think the Chip van two nights is better idea... prehaps they should hang around incase theres any other greedy fatties like me wanting seconds.. ;)
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 pm

The chip van is a good one.
Last edited by russ92xmsed on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 pm

The onsite catering is a very difficult one to deal with. I am speaking with my volunteer hat on. As I have helped Derek in the kitchen on many occasions in the past with breakfasts. I wasn't there last year, but certainly remember getting up really early to help in the kitchen (not great when you have been to bed late and feel worse for wear). I have a food hygiene certificate, as had Rob Draper; so we were the only ones able to handle food in the kitchen. Since then Bill Cameron (who was helping Derek during the day) was put through a food hygiene course. Matthew has also touched on the other problem, which is Derek's pride in what he does. All of the equipment in the kitchen like the extra cooking rings, and hot cabinet for keeping food hot are his own, and he brings them with him each year; as well as buying the food for the event.

I helped in the kitchen in the years before the pub started to do the breakfasts and the numbers wanting food were great. I have a lot of respect for Derek who has put him self out a lot to organise the catering, and also to Bill, as they were in the kitchen all day, and were unable to go on the convoy run on Saturday, and were unable to even look around the cars in the rally field on Sunday. Bill came out with me into the cars to pick up some parts I had brought him at around half 2, and it was the first time he had been out in the rally field that day!

Speaking for myself; having been in the kitchen most of the morning on previous rallies; it was difficult, as I was missing so much of the rally, and had went to considerable effort and expense to attend it. Dom and I also gave Derek a hand on Sunday morning so he could have a rest.

The numbers attending the show, and unpredictable nature of the weather make it difficult to organise outside caterers to come in that the organisers don't have to pay. The Chip Van scenario is great; he is coming in on his round anyway.

I'm not able to offer any new suggestions, but I want to give you an idea of a small part of what goes on behind the scenes. The convoy run took some organising, as does putting out signs, and general site/hall tidy ups after the event. My suggestion years ago was that the pub should do the breakfasts; I enjoyed the breakfast in the pub both mornings. I also enjoyed the buffet; I was that hungry and was glad to get something to eat! I agree, that it was not the best value for money, but I really enjoyed the marquee, and sitting and relaxing chatting to friends around the table. A couple of bottles of wine on the table would have been a nice sweetener.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 pm

We need to find someone then who can cook, is a cook or chef, and is NOT at all interested in the cars.

Someone got a partner who can cook for example prehaps???

Others

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Good points made Robert.
citroenxm wrote:We need to find someone then who can cook, is a cook or chef, and is NOT at all interested in the cars.
Fil's mate Shaun has volunteered to complete a food hygiene course and is willing to help out next year - he also helped sell raffle tickets which was a great help.
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Thats great news..

Others

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am

Even though I wasn't there, I'd like to say that Robert here, could not be more right.

It's a hell of a job that nobody ever been in those shoes, can actually understand.
It can be a hell of a job, trust me. Just back home from one.

Unfortunately I am not volunteering next year! But I intend to show up in 2014, if my old Citroens last that long, but only just for the fun of it..! :)
But I react because I can understand all too well the amount of work and organising skills these things acquire.
And even knowing that off hand on a day to day basis, I know how easily you do NOT think about that, when you're at the receiving end of it all.