Practical Classics photoshoot - XM required

Want to share pics and writeups from any interesting car shows and events you may have attended? This is the place...
dollywobbler
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: Practical Classics photoshoot - XM required

Post by dollywobbler » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 pm

xmexclusive wrote:
Getting the text perfectly right is not critical in my view and I see no need for us to proof read it.
Ideally we would just like their permission to post it on here at a reasonable time after the issue has sold out.
Anyone who buys in to an XM will most likely end up using this website, so we can sort them out then and sell them spares.

The much higher French XM prices are worth a mention as is that some of us import from Europe to get the right model or spare parts.

John
Thank you. I was getting worried for a moment. As a motoring writer myself, I know how hard it is to please everyone. Remember, Richard isn't going to be writing a be-all and end-all enthusiasts super guide. Joe Public isn't really fussed that a different type of bolt was fitted from chassis number XYZ459. Sure, it's important to get the facts right and that's what we writes strive to do. But there have to be limits to how much detail you can include at the same time. The point of these features is to try and get folk interested in the cars, while warning about some common points of concern. They're not designed to be ownership guides - that's kind of where enthusiast forums kick in. This place has been an absolute godsend for me, with my love of XMs seriously sparked by driving Will's 2.1 for Practical Classics almost two years ago! How time flies.
1986 2CV6 Dolly, 1980 Dyane
1995 XM S2 2.1TD SX Manual - RP6464
http://www.hubnut.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 pm

I could offer the Cobalt car as one to see a few problem areas on. One sill has now been patched, the front wheelarch double skinned outrigger, the rear subframe mounting area, the front inner wings, the head gasket done, and the sunroof leaked copiously, so no headlining at present...

Would that do... ? :D
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 am

On the face of it why present any car? All the info and piccies are on here (reproduced with the sites permission), so all the problem areas available in text and picture. Cars from S1, S1.5 and S2 can be shown and the author of the piece doesn't even have to get off his chair. A week or two's work - sorted. 8-)
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

dollywobbler
Has changed a sphere or two

Re:

Post by dollywobbler » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 am

Eddie nuff wrote:On the face of it why present any car? All the info and piccies are on here (reproduced with the sites permission), so all the problem areas available in text and picture. Cars from S1, S1.5 and S2 can be shown and the author of the piece doesn't even have to get off his chair. A week or two's work - sorted. 8-)
PC always includes a studio shoot of the car for a Buyer's Guide. A metallic red car would look lovely I think.
1986 2CV6 Dolly, 1980 Dyane
1995 XM S2 2.1TD SX Manual - RP6464
http://www.hubnut.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 am

xmexclusive wrote:I think the offer from Dieselman is ideal if he has the time and inclination.
Shoot location is fairly handy to him.
Will has a fairly unique experience of Mk 1 XM's.
He has used one from new as a working car then after a gap with other cars come back to XM's as near classics.
Taken on well used cars and put much work in to bring them up to a high standard.
I think that aligns very well with the magazine readers who might just be tempted to start looking for an XM.
This is all about giving XM's a bit of publicity and hopefully nudging nearer to classic status with an increase in value.

Getting the text perfectly right is not critical in my view and I see no need for us to proof read it.
Ideally we would just like their permission to post it on here at a reasonable time after the issue has sold out.
Anyone who buys in to an XM will most likely end up using this website, so we can sort them out then and sell them spares.

The much higher French XM prices are worth a mention as is that some of us import from Europe to get the right model or spare parts.

John
Completely agree John, I was actually thinking of Will's mandarin car when I first spoke to Vicky.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 pm

It would represent the XM perfectly. Following on from what Neil was saying, there are some great pics of grot spots on here that the guide could use.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm

It would be very good to have another article promoting the XM as an up and coming clanger, more gloss and nostalgia with less doom and gloom is key here, a little poetic licence wont do the XM's image any harm ;)

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Thats true. Of course go too mad on the bad points, it only harms values.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

VickyD
XM newbie

Post by VickyD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Folks
Firstly please can I congratulate you on the standard of your forum, it's been brilliant to see this discussion going on in a good natured, well mannered way - I think this same request has started fights with other forums! The car has been chosen for the photoshoot and I have emailed all the owners to let them know what's going on. I must stress that all the cars offered were suitable for a shoot but when we are given a choice we will have some disappointed owners. In this case the spec won out due to wheels and steering wheels (I don't even begin to understand the differences so you will be pleased to hear I don't write the articles!). The guide is due for the July issue of PC which usually comes out the end of May / beginning of June but I will let you know if things change.
Again thank you for all of your positive input, it's been great.
Cheers
Vicky

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Dean wrote:It would be very good to have another article promoting the XM as an up and coming clanger, more gloss and nostalgia with less doom and gloom is key here, a little poetic licence won't do the XM's image any harm ;). D
A good idea, Dean.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003