not an XM but.........

Think you've spied another forum member's XM out on the roads? Ask in here!
Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: not an XM but.........

Post by Peter.N. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:42 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:At least changing a head gasket on a CX is easy to do.
Oh it is, I had it down to a fine art, replaced some of the studs with bolts and I could have it off in about 20 mins, refitting took a little longer as you had to reset the tappets, but what a simple and brilliant engine, as far as I know the only OHV engine to use a cambelt.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Dean wrote:Good point :lol:

I would indeed love a CX turbo 2 but they are out of my price range for the time being, hoping to look round a few at cxm though.

D
I need to ride in the back of a Prestige...

If I was looking for a CX it would be either a DTR turbo2, a petrol GTI turbo2 or a Prestige..
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm

You would need a Prestige if you were ever going to sit in the back of it Will!

I haven't driven any other CXs that don't have the 2.0 Douvrin engine. Both mine have Douvrin's, and my pal's estate is a 2.0 Douvrin as well. Andrew will be able to give an opinion on all CX engines. But I can't fault these Douvrin engines in 2.0 form, 2.2 is meant to be better, more ponies, but no fuel consumption penalties, so perhaps better the 2.0. The 2.0 gives good performance, its nice and quiet, drives like a diesel, pulls well from low revs in high gears, its nice and economical. The last fill gave me 30mpg when commuting approx 70 miles a day, thats a bit of town work approx 10 miles, 30 miles of motorway at an indicated 75, and fast country roads the rest of the time.

I need to try the other variants, but I thought I would give my 2 pence worth, as most people, when they say they want a CX, either say Turbo D or GTi Turbo! Don't forget the little guys are also good.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Strangely I say a black CX estate on the M23 last night - it headed up towards Croydon on the A23. That's 2 in 2 weeks after years of not seeing one :shock:
Dean wrote:Is the XM still running well Rowan?
Alas, not really :(

It has had a very expensive year since you saw it. After the oil cooler went, it had a few further expensive bills (not related to the oil cooler) including the regular radiators replacement and the normal inaccessible rear hydraulic pipes. And there was the annoying (though cheep) breakdown when it popped a head plug. Then when it came to the MOT it needed welding in 3 places and still needs work on one sill which has a hole in the back.

The rust all appeared in less than a year - from nothing being noticeable under the car to holes in the front subframe, floorpan under both front footwells and sill.

It is still reliably handing my daily commute on the motorway at the moment though.

What with the leaking sunroof, various niggles and needing some new spheres on top of the battle with rust I am thinking I am going to need to replace it in the autumn/winter. I will see what the rust has come to and how it copes with the colder weather in the Autumn and decide then.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Re Cx's and engine variations

I've either driven or bought (or both :roll: ) every one of the possible Cx flavours over the years including
some odd fish like a 2.4 Carb, a 2.2D and the 2.0 Citroen original (pre Douvrin) and while probably more
commonly available, the 2.2 petrol.

As always, the right engine/trim level will largely be dependent on what you want from the car.
The base 2.0 is powerful enough in the saloon bodyshell but works a lot harder in the estate and
usually down to trim will have the most wallowy ride due to it's tyre and roll bars and very reminiscent
of the Prestige and Safari/Familiale for Ds like hovercraft ride. The 2.0 Douvrin will get a saloon bodyshell
over a ton and will give 40mpg if you use the econoscope. The 2.2 change over the 2.0 was purely the
stroke so if you're pulling a 2.0 apart stuff a new set of conrods in as the rest is exactly the same.
I have a real ambivalence to the Douvrin units mind; I've had issues with head gaskets, weak valves
and belt hassles and carb jets over the years I've owned them.

For me, one of the most impressive Cx engine/box combos is the 2.4 Gti manual 5 speeder - I guess this
is what got me hooked on the petrol turbos! :twisted: Whilst there's no argument the TD 2.5 and the Gti T2
are an astounding pair of engines and I have a particular admiration for the 'straight' 2.4/2.5i 4-pot. It's
virtually a brick outhouse (indestructible) unit and using chains is far more robust than rubber bands as
found on the TD.

The ultimate TD was probably the 2.5 with GEAR DRIVEN timing to the cam and diesel pump and I still have
one in the garage I was always planning on fitting a new crankcase and oil feed from to run a turbo - I'd say
these engines were massively over engineered and will forgive most things!! A 2.2 diesel head has easily
withstood running on a 2.5TD turbo bottom end/set up. 8-)

The 2.5 GTi T1 and T2 engines are amazing and have a massive wadge of torque though the rubbery
gearchange stops them being too sporty and the ratios don't help 0-60 sprints either - not something
you really need a Cx for anyway!! There's x2 upchanges needed just to get it to 60...

As far as Cx engine reliability goes, I'd say the diesels will always give headaches with the marginal
cooling system provided as standard and the fuel injected bigger lazier engines the best never wanting
anything more than oil changes; just that's a very silly place to stick the oil filter... :evil:

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Peter.N. wrote:Oh it is, I had it down to a fine art, replaced some of the studs with bolts and I could have it off in about 20 mins
By the sounds of things Peter I'd be surprised you didn't have all the fastenings replaced with wing headed quick release ones!
With a gasket every 15k over 163k that's nearly 11 gaskets!! Goddammit you must've worked it to a fine art although I totally
agree the car is worth it. Does that 10.8666666 mean the car was just about to fail it's HG again when you sold it!? :P

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:10 pm

:D No, I had quite recently replaced it. Apart from the H/G it was very reliable, it had done 114k when I bought it so was heading toward 300k when I sold it and was still going well. They didn't all suffer from this problem, I saw a turbo 2 which looked as though the head had never been off, it was apparantly due to some blocks having been made in India from scrap and they were pourous. I replaced the head twice and had the block surface machined, all to no avail, but it was such a fantastic car I was prepared to do it. I replaced it with my first XM in about '96.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset