Burgandy series 2 XM Stolen...

Think you've spied another forum member's XM out on the roads? Ask in here!
andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Burgandy series 2 XM Stolen...

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 am

You not sorted that black LPG car yet Paul? ;)

Gypo's will be the culprit for spiriting the burgundy Xm into the ether as DM says.
It really pains me to say this but sadly it'll be already shreaded over a few acres of
Industrial Estate or already on the boat to China. The scumbags don't have to work
an honest days' living when you and I have stuff they steal in broad daylight without
any recourse to the law or the downside consequences. :evil: Bastards. :evil: :evil:

Anyhow, looking forwards and the new interesting slant taken in this thread
re: alternative replacement Citroens. In total honest truth I haven't had much
Bx'ing experience though do lave a late phase2 16V so cannot speak with much
authority on these - never really did a lot for me when the GS and Cx were as
easily available/affordable back then.

But wow, an Activa!

They're good they are! :D

Yes, OK, I do own several so am totally biased. Anyhow...

THEY'RE VERY RARE!! about 1100 of all versions ever registered as RHD, the s2 being
the hardest to find - 234 made it into the UK.

The Activa with hydractive and extras is a truly remarkable car and vastly underrated
and these are usually run into the ground without the correct level of understanding
and enthusiast ownership - most are likely treated as a trim level like an SRi etc :roll:
and the 'trick' suspension is lost on many 3rd and 4th owners who like the 2.0i turbo
engine and "suffer" the weird Citroen bits.

Check the front and rear rams for the ARCS aren't leaking although there are now
dodges and fixes to workaround these expensive failure parts. Speak to Jim at
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk

That all said, for heavens sake get a Cx quick before Clarkson runs them ALL off a cliff... :(

Yes, they can rust, so do Xm's contrary to common perception. But, what's a minor bit
of fraying about the edges when you're sat in one driving it!

I have to say, tonight I've driven a pair of my Xantiae (one an Activa, the other a TD estate),
an XM 2.1TD saloon and a CX GTi T2 and the Cx is the only one that totally captivates and
gives a mental high; I'm still buzzing. The others (barring the Activa) aren't remotely engaging
to drive and a bit stodgy and staid. It's in the steering and the brakes and the ride...

And the looks. The Xm is crisp and smart, yes, svelte too but the Cx is the prettier girlfriend
that gets ALL the looks and backwards glances. People stop and stare and ask questions about
mine - they ignore the Xm; many don't realise it's NOT a Xantia when I try to correct their
misconception. :roll:

Andrew

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 am

I have to admit and agree with Andrew - that people really do think the XM is a Xantia and do not give a second look... they have to look harder to see any difference's

Andrew, you failed to tell us about the awfully low MPG the Activa engine gives... ;) :D

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

oli_25_uk
Can find the S1 radio

Post by oli_25_uk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 am

messerschmitt owner wrote: Sorry to be mercenary here, but I'd be interested in the secondary screen and parcel shelf.

Campbell
Certainly I'll hold it for you and if mine doesn't turn up - and what ever i buy next doesn't need them, then I'll be happy to help.

No word from the police (other than a crime number) and won't get any agreement from insurance for anything until i have my 'phone interview with the fraud people! (ffs if i wanted to commit insurance fraud I think that I'd do it with something more inflated than my XM!) - All a pain in the ass because we've just moved and all the paperwork they need is still packed in boxes - that'll make this weekend fun!

Re alternatives - I think that the activa is really a pipe dream - but savoy garage do have a CX estate for sale - I am very tempted! But i do like the refinement of the XM and I think i'd miss that! I remember when I test drove a GSA a few years back, while it was instantly familiar from my years with a GSA Club (my second ever car), i'd forgotton how noisy they were... we are so pampered by our cars now!

Will have to think on... But thanks for the messages of support!

OLIx

spanners
Can find the S1 radio

Post by spanners » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Crap!!

That's a bit too close for comfort! :o

I'll certainly keep my eyes open but, have you tried popping down to Craddock Metals on Icknield Street in Beoley, I know they'll take cars without V5c...... As do EMR in Kingsbury. :(

As for the BX vs Xm debate, I have both and don't honestly think they're comparable as they were aimed at completely different ends of the market. For what it's worth, my BX is without doubt the best car I've ever owned, supremely comfortable, fast, quiet, economical etc etc. And, you can get bulkier stuff into the boot via the 3 inch wider tailgate opening! (I had cause to find this out hence I know such a trivial fact) The XM however is a great motorway cruiser, also comfortable, quiet, economical and so on but I like the "nippiness" of the BX TZD.

Just my 2p worth.
1995 XM 2.1 SX TD Saloon
1993 Discovery 200 TDi
1992 BX 17 TZD Saloon
1989 2CV6 Special
1988 road legal racing 2CV

www.international2cvfriends.com

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm

spanners wrote:The XM however is a great motorway cruiser, also comfortable, quiet, economical and so on but I like the "nippiness" of the BX TZD.
To be fair, TZD are great cars. I've driven BX from lowly 1.4 to 16-Valve but think the TZD is the best all rounder, they really do fly off the line without any effort at all.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm

We had a TZD for some years, when I changed it for a ZX my wife complained bitterly, she couldn't pull out onto the bypass and leave all the traffic behind :o

Nice as it was the XM is in a different league for doing long journeys, I have 'tried' a number of different cars but none has bettered it for comfort, space and economy, the BMW is far to small and hard - nice to drive though :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

gazzaxm
Can find the S1 radio

Post by gazzaxm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I am saddened to hear of your xm being stolen,it's a terrible thing to happen to anyone who holds affection for their car as many of us xm owners do.
I took interest in this thread because on another forum I visit the morris marina forum,someone,I think it was in the west Midlands had a marina estate stolen from their back yard or the rear of their house. The plod looked at local cameras and the car can be seen on the back of a white Mercedes transporter, I don't think the plod ever tracked it down hmm,but it was mentioned on there it was most likely gypo's .Think about it,pull up throw some straps under the car lift it with a hi ab ,straight down to a dodgy scrap dealer,very easy money,especially the weight of an xm.
I will be alarming my cars pretty soon.
Gary
1994 White 2.1td auto hatch RP 6436

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:38 pm

gazzaxm wrote:
I will be alarming my cars pretty soon.
Gary
Mine's already feeling pretty alarmed and has hidden in the garage...
Prev

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm

gazzaxm wrote:
I took interest in this thread because on another forum I visit the morris marina forum,someone,I think it was in the west Midlands had a marina estate stolen from their back yard or the rear of their house.
Gary
Maybe it was Top Gear stole it to drop a piano onto...
Prev

gazzaxm
Can find the S1 radio

Post by gazzaxm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Ha ha I am restoring a marina coupé it was a 1300 but will be turned into an 1800, mgb engine with overdrive gearbox and a dolomite sprint rear axle,I was joking with a mate a few days ago saying how I was thinking in a few years to revamp it with a vauxhall twin cam and all the rest of it,lowered roll cage with a small hand made piano set on the roof.
The piano episode angered the marina forum as you can imagine ,but that just outlines Clarkson is a rich jerk who pulls silly stunts like that to keep all the sheep happy and keeps the money rolling in.
Gary :D
1994 White 2.1td auto hatch RP 6436