Rare C6 sighting!

Think you've spied another forum member's XM out on the roads? Ask in here!
robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: Rare C6 sighting!

Post by robertmnorton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi all, that was also my understanding Andrew,and somewhere a remark that Audi and MB,also had a slice of the PSA diesel pie.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Fair comment Paul, you're correct!! That's if you can believe everything from Wikipedia mind...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17
wikipedia wrote:2.7 V6

The 2.7L DOHC 24 valves biturbo V6 DT17 is also produced by the Ford/PSA joint venture, and is the only diesel engine used in PSA passenger vehicles that was not designed or built by them. This particular engine was designed by Ford at their Dunton and Whitley research centres, and is built in Dagenham, England.

Ford AJD-V6/PSA DT17
Lion Diesel Engine Family Manufacturer Ford of Europe
Production 2004–present
Class DOHC Diesel
Engine(s) 2.7 L (2720 cc/165 in³) V6
3.6 (3600 cc/220 in³) L V8

The Lion engine family was developed and manufactured at Ford's Dagenham Diesel Centre for use in PSA Peugeot Citroën vehicles (as DT17 as part of joint venture begun in 1999), Jaguar Cars (as the AJD-V6), and Land Rover vehicles. The engines share the same bore/stroke ratio, with the V6 displacing 2.7L and the V8 displacing 3.6L. The V6 was launched in 2004, with the 3.6L having just launched in 2006. The V6 engine meets the Euro IV emissions standards.
Contents

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:44 pm

That diesel V8 sounds handy too! Wonder if they could make a new C5/C6 HDi V8 with ARCS Activa suspension...

Andrew

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm

citroenxm wrote:Mind you, the petrols are probably autos so theres no need to worry about gear changing! Oh and the ROAD TAX is cheaper too, although, the 2.7 HDi is not th echeapest, seeing as it is REALLY mostly a Ford design AND is built at the Ford factory... Sorry, but its true, Peugeot designed AND make ALL the Four Cylinder HDi's, and its Ford who wholely made the 2.7...
The 2.7 C6 is a 6 speed auto the same as the petrol, I believe. They are both in the same tax bracket, but the petrol has higher emmisions - it's just the 2.7 is not low enough to take it out of the £400 tax bracket.

I heard that the Ford/PSA alliance on the HDI was because Ford could not get one to work themselves, so they got PSA in for design it for them to market as their own design/build. That is hearsay, but it does explain the alliance and quality of the engines from Ford before and after.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by robertmnorton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:49 pm

So,does that mean that cit do not actually build the engine themselves?It's only badged and bought in?
robertm

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 pm

NO NO!!

PSA MAKE the 4 cylinders!!!!

Ford cant make a decent DERV, so they asked PSA to help..

Its not Audi and MB who have a share, its BMW who now share with PSA...!!

Audi's are VW engines, PSA's top rival...

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 pm

andmcit wrote: I don't care - I still like petrol engined cars - the more cc the better too. Wait until you get behind
that v6 engine Paul!

Andrew
I already have sampled big V's.... XM 12V and dont forget, I got a S1 24v Manual XM here!

If its petrol, its gotta be auto to take care of the gear changes, in a derv you dont need to change gear! (XUD td excepted because of the petrol character!)

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 pm

That's exactly my point though! I know you've driven the Xm V6's - try the 60 degree v in a smaller and
slightly lighter bodyshell! I'm still not sure whether it'd be better with a manual though as it would
certainly be a more engaging drive although the clever autobox does a very good job of pampering the
driving experience like a good Chauffeur!

Anyhow, 1st 3rd 5th is the order of the day with any of the torquey manual
petrol v6's without the hassles and expense of a suicidal autobox! ;)

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm

That's because they have the exact same top speed as the 2.7HDi, are half a second slower getting to 60 than the 2.7HDi, and are about 10mpg thirstier to do it. I can quite understand that people would rather the HDi than the petrol. You know you want a Diesel really... :P
Hi Rowan

Yes i know the derv is slightly quicker, and slightly more economical but it needs 2 turbo's to do it and its a HDI which i consider a downside, yes PSA dervs have always been, in my opinion at least, the best you can get and i know this new one although assembled by Ford is a pretty impressive unit but by the time i get one i dont want 2 aging blowers under the bonnet or the exhaust trickery and pita problems that go with a modern derv, i want a nice basic N/A V6 plodding away, they will be THE model to have too by the time it gets to the age of the XM, lets face it, your not going to give a damn if your playtime car does an measly extra 10mpg but you will care about all the extra technology ready to go wrong on the HDI, i dont care what anyone says i will not be swayed on this, they dont make modern dervs like the good old XUD's anymore.
So yes you could, if i done big miallage you would have a good chance of getting me to have a 2.5TD but nothing will get me in the drivers seat of a HDI :D i will now take shelter :lol:

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am

The problem with the HDi's is that you are unlikely to get to 100k miles without having to spend huge sums of money on them, so although I wouldn't consider running a petrol engine myself, I would think that if you can afford that sort of car a petrol one may well work out cheaper in the long run.

Did you notice the the XM listing has dissapeared from Autotrader. :o

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset