Rare C6 sighting!

Think you've spied another forum member's XM out on the roads? Ask in here!
andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Rare C6 sighting!

Post by andmcit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 am

Peter.N. wrote:Did you notice the the XM listing has dissapeared from Autotrader. :o

Peter
Yes, that's because there currently aren't any for sale on AutoTrader!!

It will only pop up on the menu when there's one in the category - there isn't one for CX and usually there
aren't for DS and Sm but there's one of each at the moment - don't panic, there could be more coming
through though they're thinning out now.

Andrew

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 am

Peter.N. wrote:The problem with the HDi's is that you are unlikely to get to 100k miles without having to spend huge sums of money on them,

Peter
Can you proove that peter??? The HDi is no less reliable then a Petrol injection engine now, is what I beleve. Yes I utterly agree that mechanical injection is, however, SOOO dependable.. we have got used to it..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:44 am

Don't forget that the 2.7 HDi is being replaced by a 3.0 HDi.

240 BHP, and less C02 than the 2.7 HDi, so down into the same tax bracket as the 2.2 4cyl HDi.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 am

More details on the unit?? Where can I find it?

P

Others

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm

A 3.0 HDi sounds nice. Are they going to put it in the C6? I wonder what it's figures will be like.

I agree that the 2.7 is likely to have more expensive problems that the old XUDs or 2.5. However, my Indy does have a theory that it is down to the fuel. Mis-fuel them and you will have a big bill before it gets to decent mileage. Also use cheep fuel (quality, not necessarily price as the brands are often the same price as the supermarkets these days, or only a penny difference) and you will get the big bills before they get to decent mileage. Always use decent fuel and they will still go on like the simpler predecessors. This is the experience of my Indy anyway.

Of course, when buying a second hand car - say 7 years old - you have no way of knowing if it had that fatal single mis-fuelling incident, or what garages it has been filled up in over it's life.

Are the modern petrols as long lived as the XM petrol units, or do they also have similar expensive issues? I'm not even sure if PSA are using HPi's like some other makes? Does that make them as costly as the HDi's?
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm

I read about it on a French Citroen forum (Planete Citroen),

And having just checked Citroen.co.uk - this is what they have to say about it

FIRST DETAILS – CITROËN’S NEW 3.0HDi V6 DIESEL
MORE POWER, YET BETTER ECONOMY and LESS CO2

Citroën has released first details of an advanced 3.0HDi V6 240hp engine to be introduced to the C5 and C6 ranges later this summer. The unit is the most powerful production engine in the history of the Marque.

It delivers the neat trick of offering more power and improved performance, alongside better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions. The new engine improves fuel economy by 13-17% and reduces CO2 by 12-15%, compared to the current 2.7HDi V6 208hp unit.

With advanced new engine technology, the new V6 diesel incorporates the third generation of Citroën’s common-rail direct injection system and offers drivers a refined driving experience with its quiet operation and more efficient performance. Delivering an abundance of torque, the new V6 diesel provides exceptional driving pleasure for every-day motoring.

Fuel saving features in the new engine include a piloted alternator, which recovers energy during deceleration and braking. The engine also fully complies with future Euro V standards, ahead of the compulsory introduction to production vehicles in January 2011.

Mated to a six-speed automatic gearbox, the powerful and efficient unit means drivers can now benefit from up to 38mpg on the combined cycle. Highlighting Citroën’s continuing commitment to the environment, not only does this engine come with a Diesel Particulate Filter System (DPFS) for an ultra-clean exhaust, but CO2 emissions are also reduced to 195g/km.

The improved emissions also put both new C5 and C6 V6 diesel models into the lower Tax band J, creating a saving of £325 on cars registered in the 2010/11 RFL period.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm

rowanmoor wrote: Are the modern petrols as long lived as the XM petrol units, or do they also have similar expensive issues? I'm not even sure if PSA are using HPi's like some other makes? Does that make them as costly as the HDi's?
The C5 uses the HPi technology, from Series ones!! Im uncertain about later engines, but I expect they are!

The New V6 must have been designed and developed by PSA them selfs this time to have better BHP and better lower Co2 and better MPG!! Im sure Ford cant be that good!

I wonder if its BMW's input that has helped that along!

Paul

Others

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:18 pm

The quote below comes from an interesting diesel pump service website:
http://fp.remmington.plus.com/edc%20diesel%20pump.htm

"Early EDC pumps are known to fail from "cavitation" due to an ingress of excess water. Water separates out from the fuel over time in diesel filters, and if the filter housing is not drained down at the correct service intervals. The water will damage the pump beyond repair. Most car manufacturers are now fitting new type water level sensors to filter housings on new models. Supermarket fuel is jokingly called emulsion in the trade, due to its high water content. Its cheap for a reason! Some early VP44 pumps are known to fail due machining errors in the axle rota head, a few of these wreck the alloy pump body, rendering the pump unserviceable."

I stopped using supermarket diesel in my C4 2.0 HDI after reading the quote above and now only put in the well known brands, although any of the fuel supply companies can stuff up, eg putting the silicon based diesel lubricity additive into unleaded petrol which made the lamda sensors fail for all those unfortunate Tesco customers. Many Australian drivers suffered diesel pump failures when their government rushed through the ULSD legislation and the oil companies didn't adequately compensate with an additive to replace the lubrication properties of the removed sulphur compounds.

My understanding of Citroen HDI engine fuel systems is that they have to be worked on with almost surgical cleanliness standards because the merest trace of dirt getting into the fuel injectors etc means instant death and a huge bill to fix. HDI engines have relatively large sized fuel filters and the one on my C4 only needs changing every 37,500 miles, which in turn means that lines don't have to be opened up very often. I think It makes good sense to put the best quality fuel available in your HDI to help ensure a long life for the injection system.

Ken

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 pm

I couldn't agree more!!

WHY Put Water in at a supermarket, when these days, well, around here anyway, Tesco AND Total or Shell/Esso prices are EXACTLY the same!! No cheapness at all... So I steer well clear!!

Paul

Others

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:52 pm

I have had to put supermarket fuel in the 2.5 twice - both times Horsham seemed to run out of fuel and I didn't have enough to get me home from work. Tesco had some left with very long queues.

On both occasions I found the same effect. When in stop start traffic as I sometimes get at the top of the M23, I will leave it in 1st with no accelerator and the engine will happily pull along at the cars slowest speed of a few mph. However, after the Tesco fuel it will no longer do that and will stall! On both occasions a dose of injector cleaner to clear it out and all is fine after that.

That reinforced my prejudice against supermarket fuel.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green