Rare C6 sighting!

Think you've spied another forum member's XM out on the roads? Ask in here!
Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Rare C6 sighting!

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Paul

I am basing my assumptions about HDi engines largely by the experiences of friends who have them and also by the postings on 'Honest John' . I have a friend with a 607 who has literaly spent thousands on it, and another with a Mondeo which went alright for 60k then the DMF failed, I have heard several similar local experiences. The only one I know of that has lasted well is our daughter in laws fathers 207 which is now approaching 200k, but even that stopped for no reason and had to be reprogrammed - I couldn't live with a car like that.

I would have thought that the petrol engines would have been more reliable, but I would be delighted to hear that they aren't :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:07 pm

I filled up at Tesco's in Horsham yesterday. :o :o

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:23 pm

I think the big + of a modern petrol over a derv for me at least is that it will not have the particulate filters and emu additives or whatever they are, the big attraction of a diesel was their resistance to water, economy and simplicity, lets face it there was once a time and saying that if you could get a derv to start you where almost certain it would keep going untill you got to your destination, unlike several petrol Fords ive had that used to splutter to the side of the road whenever they saw a puddle :roll:
Of course now its all changed and while the oil burner is finding new homes in sports cars and hot hatches with the aid of a clever mating of small turbos, superchargers and high pressure common rail injection systems to the same engine al a VAG, the Humble petrol isnt burdened with all of this stuff to do the same job, ok so you get the extra economy but with diesel usually more expensive than petrol (and dont be lulled into a false sense of security by recent prices) you will have to be going some to get your money back.

Now of course you have to understand everything you have just read above is all wrong because everyone wants a derv, because it looks good on paper and to the man who pays someone else to work on his car your going to get stiffed no matter who's car you bought derv or not, but to me taking the engine out of a C3 derv to change the glow plugs (you heard) is not at all good and when the long term financial burden of such a vehicle and its petrol sister is taken into account i know there just isnt enough +'s in the diesel's box to make it a sure fire money saver.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:09 pm

I want a derv - but only one made in the mid '90s. 8-)

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah!! Petrol v6's rule! :lol:

Actually, I really want an Aston 0ne-77, ummm, OK it's a V12 with 750bhp...

ThwartedEfforts
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by ThwartedEfforts » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 pm

I think I've said it probably a dozen times now in front of you guys but the C6 really isn't a very good car. It's big and different, that is all.

The 3.0 engine will make it better - the current diesels all feel underwhelming - though the 2.7 biturbo in my wife's C5 is satisfyingly brisk thanks to the fact it's in a smaller car. Not entirely sure I'd want to waste my money upgrading to the three litre though... wait six months for a dealer principal's punt about with £15,000 off the price.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi TE

You wouldnt rate it very highly against the XM then? thats dissapointing :(

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

ThwartedEfforts

Post by ThwartedEfforts » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Not in terms of old school Citroen comfort or value, no - plus the economy on the 2.7 diesel is simply appalling (esp. compared to its German counterparts, all of which are bigger capacity, bigger power yet lower emissions) and the VED band for the HDI is waaay up high at a cost of over £400 annually.

Think of that lads, the cost of the tax disc on your C6 could dwarf the cost of your entire XM! Madness.

If the C6 actually rode properly it might be worth a punt on an ex demo, but it doesn't and it isn't.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 pm

So you're not too impressed with the C6 then!? ;)

Now a V6 petrol 24v out of an Xm in a smaller lighter bodyshell Citroen could be a real wheeze... :lol: 8-)

Andrew

ThwartedEfforts

Post by ThwartedEfforts » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 am

No. Now that I have my CX back in perfect working order I'm reminded just how terribly modern cars ride. C6 included.