The Ambassadorial XM estate has another new owner… Hi!

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Ambassador JDStone
XM newbie
Orga / RP numbers: K475PGN Y3 2.0i Estate
That ex-ambassadorial one off YouTube

The Ambassadorial XM estate has another new owner… Hi!

Post by Ambassador JDStone » Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm

Hello from the newest owner of K475PGN!
IMG_4355.jpeg
It’s been fun to dig up history on Facebook, YouTube, tiktok and now this forum. I’ve not got the logbook back to see how many owners it’s had, but I’m thinking I might be number 9… maybe…
Thanks to this forum I’ve found out the car still has largely the same faults as it did a few years ago.
Even things said to have been fixed previously (Heater blower) aren’t working, so there’s still plenty to do despite the past 9 years of bills totalling to about £8000.
I’ll scour the forum with the search bar to see if I can find answers more easily than bothering everyone, but I’ll still be asking questions!
Oh and yes, I do plan on making YouTube videos with it :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: The Ambassadorial XM estate has another new owner… Hi!

Post by Dieselman » Tue May 14, 2024 6:50 am

Is that 9 owners since Goeff buys cars, or just in the last 12 months?

Good luck with fixing the car up. Feel free to ask for answers to issues.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Southerneruk
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 1992 TD Auto Estate Green

Post by Southerneruk » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 am

This that, a diesel auto estate

Ambassador JDStone
XM newbie

Post by Ambassador JDStone » Thu May 16, 2024 10:06 pm

It’s a petrol manual!
So, fun thing, the steering wheel started wobbling while manoeuvering and it’s developed a rattle. 99% sure the hydraulic pump is on its way out (largely because the pulley is wobbling too!). Not quite sure how I missed that when I went to view it and drove it 152 miles home…
The best thing however is that it just happens I already have a spare from a 92 XM diesel that’s been in a box for… 13 years? Oh and the rest of the suspension system too, because I had a dream of fitting it to something else which never came to fruition… So that’s fun.
Got the Haynes manual, got the part…
Any top tips before I undertake it?

Ambassador JDStone
XM newbie

Post by Ambassador JDStone » Thu May 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Oh and I got the logbook back. I really AM owner number 9. A rather good educated guess it turned out.
Quite enjoying ownership so far, plenty of small faults and the big one of (I think) the pump. Oh and rust on the crossmembers that I didn’t spot when I viewed it, but hey, it’s 32 years old, I’ll sort it. Probably.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri May 17, 2024 6:50 am

The pump is unusual, but rust more common.

The only thing to watch for with the pump is that the suction pipe unions are tight, otherwise it will suck in air, causing erratic pressure, which you already have due to the collapsed bearing.
Prev

Ambassador JDStone
XM newbie

Post by Ambassador JDStone » Fri May 31, 2024 9:13 pm

Right then, time to get on with the list! Even though I haven’t actually got my daily driver Punto on the road yet…
On the list of jobs to do:
  • Intermittent blower fan (work on all speeds perfectly fine when working)
    Clock is a blur, not fussed as I wear a watch :lol:

The aftermarket key fob locks all doors, but drivers door & boot lock spins and the passenger side is seized.
    Boot doesn’t lock at all (shhh don’t tell anyone) but when operating the fob the boot lock does a little nudge, it gives me hope I can get the boot panel off for some experimentation and have a locking boot!

Reverse lights don’t work, I think same for rear fog lights… again maybe boot interior panel off and wiggle things around?

Front indicator/dogs are smashed, but I’ve got some good used ones to fit. Not sure if mine actually have fog lights installed, but the new ones do, I wonder if I can wire them up!

Rear brakes miiiiight be sticking a smidge as when releasing the brakes from a standstill I hear and feel a very slight creak, but on the move seems fine.

Fuel injection warning light comes on when accelerating hard or going over 60mph… apparently the car had a big injection fault and it’s been sorted but hasn’t been cleared from the ECU so light comes on anyway? That’s what I was told but I’d like more opinions on that!
There’s probably mor like gas struts and stuff…
The first “big job” will be the main hydraulic pump which is wobbly and gives notchy steering. I have a replacement refurbished pump from the same model year, 2.0i too. Owt I need to know when swapping the pump that the Haynes manual doesn’t tell me?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:18 am

Ambassador JDStone wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:13 pm
Right then, time to get on with the list! Even though I haven’t actually got my daily driver Punto on the road yet…
On the list of jobs to do:
  • Intermittent blower fan (work on all speeds perfectly fine when working)
    Clock is a blur, not fussed as I wear a watch :lol:

The aftermarket key fob locks all doors, but drivers door & boot lock spins and the passenger side is seized.
    Boot doesn’t lock at all (shhh don’t tell anyone) but when operating the fob the boot lock does a little nudge, it gives me hope I can get the boot panel off for some experimentation and have a locking boot!

Reverse lights don’t work, I think same for rear fog lights… again maybe boot interior panel off and wiggle things around?

Front indicator/dogs are smashed, but I’ve got some good used ones to fit. Not sure if mine actually have fog lights installed, but the new ones do, I wonder if I can wire them up!

Rear brakes miiiiight be sticking a smidge as when releasing the brakes from a standstill I hear and feel a very slight creak, but on the move seems fine.

Fuel injection warning light comes on when accelerating hard or going over 60mph… apparently the car had a big injection fault and it’s been sorted but hasn’t been cleared from the ECU so light comes on anyway? That’s what I was told but I’d like more opinions on that!
There’s probably mor like gas struts and stuff…
The first “big job” will be the main hydraulic pump which is wobbly and gives notchy steering. I have a replacement refurbished pump from the same model year, 2.0i too. Owt I need to know when swapping the pump that the Haynes manual doesn’t tell me?
Blower sounds like a power feed problem, check the lead onto the fan and fuse connection. It could be the dashboard panel, but for Max speed the fan is driven via a relay, whereas all other speeds it is driven by transistors, so the fault wouldn't appear to be the actual fan control.

Circuit diagrams... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10268
Call out if you need more specific information.

You have to push keys into Xm locks to make the lock engage with the inner unit, if the key isn't correct it just spins, likewise if the drive dogs are broken off.

Boot central locking motors can jam, often a good whack will free them off.

Reverse and rear fog lights is likely to be the wiring at the tailgate hinge is broken. Might also be the boot locking issue.

Rear brakes sticking is possible, but in my experience, it's more likely the doseur valve. Run some hydraflush through the system to clean out any sludge.

A base version won't have front fogs, making them work is possible. Not sure if wiring exists.

Efi issue, is obviously a current fault, check fault codes with a Blink Code reader. Battery disconnect will clear fault codes.
I suspect your car will have Bosch Motronic 3.1 Efi. The files are in the engine management thread... viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10588

Blink Code reader info... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7368
There is no such thing as a big fault, just a fault.

Hydraulic pump: Just swap it over, make sure the feed pipe is tight, open the 12mm regulator bleed bolt and run for 30s to purge air, then tighten bleed bolt and all should be fine.
Prev

Ambassador JDStone
XM newbie

Post by Ambassador JDStone » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:48 pm

I’ve been on pump duty today… it’s gone ok until the new pump seal wouldn’t go in (see images).
I got it from eBay, saw 6.35mm in the title and thought “marvellous!”, but… it fits on the pipe fine, just not in the hole.
Having looked again they say they had limited 9mm so to expect 11mm. Should I have specified 9mm outer diameter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Citjon
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 8032

Post by Citjon » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:44 pm

Have you still got the old seal? You could re-use that for now - if it doesn't leak at first try it will probably be OK. I know you're always supposed to replace the seals but unless they are obviously damaged they are usually fine in my experience.
98 XM 2.1 VSX auto RP8032 EHJ Crimson Pearl
72 D Super 5 Black
72 DS21 efi Bleu D'Orient