New XM owner with a few questions

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Tsuku
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 6303

New XM owner with a few questions

Post by Tsuku » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 am

Hi all,

New member here with a recently purchased XM 2.0 TCT Berline S1 (built 02/94). I have a few questions, perhaps you could point me in the right direction? Off the top of my head:

1. Speedometer is really twitchy below 70 km/h, past that it settles down. Perhaps the speedo cable is at fault?
2. The infamous on board computer display seems to have taken a hit as there's a bright spot in the middle. Can it be repaired? Pic here: http://pihled.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Autot/XM+9 ... /_full.jpg.
3. Seeing that service.citroen.com doesn't show too many parts to our cars, what are some alternatives for looking up oem part numbers?
4. I just ordered a full set of suspension spheres. Besides those and the LHM fluid, what else should I replace to get the best possible ride quality or just because it's inexpensive and easy while I'm at it? At the moment it doesn't feel too uncomfortable (coming from a stiff German sports car), but there really isn't any difference between the sport and default modes.
5. How many engine mounts are there? There seems to be a fair bit of play in the drive train, especially when I lift off at boost. The round engine mount bushing seen in the engine bay doesn't look perished and the engine doesn't move much when revving at standstill.
6. The engine oil level needle doesn't move at startup. The scale lights up, but the needle just stays still. Is it a common fault?

Pics of the car here: http://pihled.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Autot/XM+94/Eka+pesu/

Thanks!

Edvin

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: New XM owner with a few questions

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Edvin

Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with all you problems as my experience has only been with 2.1 diesels. First your display, it appears that the liquid crystal display itself has failed so I'm afraid you will have to replace it but if you enquire on the forum someone might have one.

The suspension spheres are usually all that's needed unless the hydractive system is not working, being a Mk1 you should be able to feel the difference when you switch in and out of sport mode.

Not to sure about the engine mounts but if its the same as the diesel there is one below the engine on the o/s and another on top of the engine and one opposite the gearbox on the n/s.

The oil level sensor not working could just be that the wire has become disconnected at the engine.

The speedometer being a Mk1 will have a cable so that will in all probability be the trouble.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:09 pm

1994 should be Hydractive 2 ecu system.. Having a H4 printed on the suspension ecu will tell you.

If after fitting all 6 spheres she is still firm then you will need to look at diode modifications on the ecu unit which controls the electro valves situated on the front and rear centre sphere units.

You can also audibly check the electro valve operation. Start the car get it to height. Stop it take the key out open drivers door or any door and listen for a click and a high pitch buzz... That will be the electro valves operating.. Meaning there should be no need for a diode modification...

Three engine mounts.. One at the gear box end.. One at the top over the cam belt and a lower one below the drivers side drive shaft.

Citroen wont sell much stuff for the xm anymore. We need to rely more on non oe and used market for stuff..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Tsuku

Post by Tsuku » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:19 am

Peter.N. wrote:Hi Edvin

Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with all you problems as my experience has only been with 2.1 diesels. First your display, it appears that the liquid crystal display itself has failed so I'm afraid you will have to replace it but if you enquire on the forum someone might have one.

The suspension spheres are usually all that's needed unless the hydractive system is not working, being a Mk1 you should be able to feel the difference when you switch in and out of sport mode.

Not to sure about the engine mounts but if its the same as the diesel there is one below the engine on the o/s and another on top of the engine and one opposite the gearbox on the n/s.

The oil level sensor not working could just be that the wire has become disconnected at the engine.

The speedometer being a Mk1 will have a cable so that will in all probability be the trouble.

Peter
Thank you Peter for your reply! I will check into those.
citroenxm wrote:1994 should be Hydractive 2 ecu system.. Having a H4 printed on the suspension ecu will tell you.

If after fitting all 6 spheres she is still firm then you will need to look at diode modifications on the ecu unit which controls the electro valves situated on the front and rear centre sphere units.

You can also audibly check the electro valve operation. Start the car get it to height. Stop it take the key out open drivers door or any door and listen for a click and a high pitch buzz... That will be the electro valves operating.. Meaning there should be no need for a diode modification...

Three engine mounts.. One at the gear box end.. One at the top over the cam belt and a lower one below the drivers side drive shaft.

Citroen wont sell much stuff for the xm anymore. We need to rely more on non oe and used market for stuff..
Ok, I thought Hydractive 2 didn't come until the S2 model or at 07/94? Mine's 02/94. I'll check the hydractive ecu to make sure. Thanks for your very informative reply!

Tsuku

Post by Tsuku » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 am

A few more issues have arisen:

7. The 2.0 turbo engine is slightly twitchy when driving at constant speed and throttle. On wide open throttle it's even worse, really choppy acceleration. It also lights up the Check Engine Light for a short while after giving it some beans. I started by replacing the spark plugs and ignition leads, but they didn't help. What's next? Have also bought a new ignition coil, but have yet to fit it.

8. Sometimes when the car has been in it's lowest position it displays the HYDRAULIC PRESSURE warning and won't rise up for a minute or so. Eventually it passes. Which suspension component is to blame?

9. My door locks are in poor shape. I only have a traditional key for the car. Should it have a remote control key as standard? Can I buy a new remote key somewhere and reprogram it to work with the car? The left side door lock won't turn unless I push the key in hard. On the right side the key just spins freely. Can the door lock cylinders be rescued by taking them apart and cleaning them?

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:42 am

Can't help you with the engine, the last petrol engine I ran had a carburettor and a distributor!

The slow to rise hydraulic pressure could be a number of things, on the 2.1 it was usually the 'V' belt that drives the hydraulic pump slipping but I suspect yours has a multi rib type in which case its unlikely. Cleaning the filters in the reservoir will usually help as will changing the LHM.

Your remote locking problem depends on what type you have, the early ones were infra red and the later RF, yours could be either. I have only had experience with the later type. On mine the receiver failed which is under the glove box but yours maybe completely different. citroenxm will probably know.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am

It is not uncommon for a Low Hydraulic Pressure warning to occur when raising the car from Low, especially if it has sat on Low for some time.
Slightly raising the engine revs can zap the warning a bit quicker sometimes. Warning shouldn't really show for more than about 30 secs maximum (at normal idle) before extinguishing. Message may be accompanied by "Loss of Brake Pressure" warning as well; same applies.

Peter is right to check the condition of the LHM fluid (should be bright green and clean), and the two filters in the LHM reservoir, as well as any V-belt you might have.

If fluid is at all dirty, or its history is not known, then it's a good idea to drain it, and run the car on Hydraurincage fluid for 1000-3000 miles. Do a search on here ("Hydraurincage") for advice on getting and using it.

Always check level of LHM with suspension on Highest; yellow plastic disc should be between the two red lines.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am

Stuck or sticky waste gate... On the turbo .. Or the electro valve that controls the waste gate may be playing up.. Its attached to the back of the engine bay in the middle has a plug and vaccum pipes on it..

You can get the ecu codes read to see what fault is comming up..

Are you in the uk?
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Tsuku

Post by Tsuku » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 am

Peter.N. wrote:Can't help you with the engine, the last petrol engine I ran had a carburettor and a distributor!

The slow to rise hydraulic pressure could be a number of things, on the 2.1 it was usually the 'V' belt that drives the hydraulic pump slipping but I suspect yours has a multi rib type in which case its unlikely. Cleaning the filters in the reservoir will usually help as will changing the LHM.

Your remote locking problem depends on what type you have, the early ones were infra red and the later RF, yours could be either. I have only had experience with the later type. On mine the receiver failed which is under the glove box but yours maybe completely different. citroenxm will probably know.

Peter
Thanks. Yes, I plan to at least renew the LHM, maybe run some cleaner in the system.

Apparently both the remote key and receiver need to be changed as a pair on my car and the price tag was quite hefty. I therefore ordered a Chinese universal remote locking unit and key fobs off eBay.
White Exec wrote:It is not uncommon for a Low Hydraulic Pressure warning to occur when raising the car from Low, especially if it has sat on Low for some time.
Slightly raising the engine revs can zap the warning a bit quicker sometimes. Warning shouldn't really show for more than about 30 secs maximum (at normal idle) before extinguishing. Message may be accompanied by "Loss of Brake Pressure" warning as well; same applies.

Peter is right to check the condition of the LHM fluid (should be bright green and clean), and the two filters in the LHM reservoir, as well as any V-belt you might have.

If fluid is at all dirty, or its history is not known, then it's a good idea to drain it, and run the car on Hydraurincage fluid for 1000-3000 miles. Do a search on here ("Hydraurincage") for advice on getting and using it.

Always check level of LHM with suspension on Highest; yellow plastic disc should be between the two red lines.
I'm relieved to hear that the warning is not uncommon. Yes, I have checked the level in top position and it was ok. Thanks for your help!

citroenxm wrote:Stuck or sticky waste gate... On the turbo .. Or the electro valve that controls the waste gate may be playing up.. Its attached to the back of the engine bay in the middle has a plug and vaccum pipes on it..

You can get the ecu codes read to see what fault is comming up..

Are you in the uk?
Thank you for these tips! I'm in Finland. I'm guessing there isn't a regular OBD plug on the car? Do I need a special cable and software to read the codes?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am

Most questions have been answered, but being a 1994 build your car should have Hydractive 2, also the LCD display just needs a new green glass insert, so even a non working display should give a fix.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White