new xm questions

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
ex-em
Knows how to use the parking brake

new xm questions

Post by ex-em » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 pm

hi all

after considering the cx i have decided that i really want a citroen xm diesel automatic :D despite people telling me not to for the usual reasons, suspension etc :shock: i have a few questions if you be kind enough to help?

what sort of price would i need to be paying for a good one? not worried about mileage?
what do i need to look for when buying the xm?
i have been told that when i dont use it for a few days thats its best to set suspension to low?
is the ride as good as the cx?
wheres the best place to buy from?

thanks everyone

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: new xm questions

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi ex-em

Welcome to the club. Firstly you don't need to have any fears about the XM suspension, its pretty reliable and usually not expensive to fix - if you can do it yourself. I would worry far more about an automatic box as they have a much shorter life than the manual and the cost of repairing one will probably write the car off. If you don't do a high mileage and can get a fairly low mileage car it could last you for a few years providing it has had regular oil changes.

The 2.1 engine which is what the auto uses is pretty well bombproof, they do suffer from head gasket failure at around 150k, but once done will last at least the same again. From my point of view ebay is the best place to buy one if you are prepared to do some work on it, however much you pay it is bound to need some work, so better to by one cheap unless it has serious problems.

There are some ridiculously expensive ones around but you should get a reasonable one for about £500.00 but do make sure the gearbox does everything it should do properly. They are getting very thin on the ground now and the prices are starting to rise but on the plus side there seem to be more auto's than manuals for sale. I am always on the look out for manuals and havn't seen one to my liking for a long time.

Happy hunting

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

bobhalliday
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by bobhalliday » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi EX-XM.
Welcome to the club. :D

Here is a ridiculously expansive one :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/98-S-CITROEN-XM-V ... 2a0368b157

but you will find others on EBay and sometimes reported in here fairly cheaper, and as Peter says, go for one you can work on as they will ALL need work and you are always buying someones surrendered project! ;) .
I have a 1996 2.1 Diesel / Manual and I wouldn't swap it for the World! You don't have to lower the suspension it will lower itself when and if it fells like it when parked! The car is easy to work on? Well some bits are!! There are stories going about the difficult head job and the Auto box but if you are mechanically minded and can find the help files on the forum you will get by. I would advise maybe go for a Teve's ABS but ARE they more reliable? I have a Bendix and it is an ongoing problematic PITA! :)
Bob
1996 Admiral Blue XM from New RP6612 N***YBL
1992 Green XM estate as stand-by. RP5623
We are all Falkirk 'Bairns'

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

Gone, but never forgotten.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Ex Xm,

In perfect honesty the Auto box is a matter of our opionions!! Some have had early failure, others have had a massive milage from them. My Mate has a 2.1 TD Auto Exclusive and the car is now on 188k, the REAL key is VERY regular gear oil changes, probably every 3rd engine oil change..

The thing to look for is find a GOOD auto box that has smooth changes, then give it a fluid change..

Setting the car to low through long periods of inactivity is rubbish - XM's WILL settle down to the floor over time nautraully..!

The Models around 1993 to 1994/5 seem the best bet - Im baised towards the Late Series one cars of these years, firstly, as the syspension is rather faultless, obviously we DO NOT know exactly how much about XM's you know already..

With XM's the key is get one thats Mechanically CORRECT rather then spec, you can ALWAYS add leather and alloys if that tickles you at a later date. With a full set of "Proper XM" spheres the ride is NOT as soft as a CX, but is STILL DAMM GOOD when the electro valves ARE operating corectly, however these are useually a problem on later cars, Late M reg onwards with the revised Dash style, and tiny spoiler (On Hatches) and Air bag..

Having said what Ive said about auto box's, I dont think there a concern for worry, as theres a couple of people about now, I think even a member on here, who can fix auto boxes. I know there is an autobox fixer on http://www.frenchcarfourm.co.uk

Bosch equpit cars are best to go for - these available from around 1993 to 1997 ish...

Im sure there will be more along to give their opnions .

Place to buy - Mr Savoy Garage, has currently got 2 XM 2.1 TD Autos in, estates too!!

He knows his stuff TOO!!!

Very knowledageble, and what he says is what you get too! Click his Cars for Sale section

Regards
PAul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi EX EM

Im undecided as to how unreliable the HP18 auto box was, you do hear of failures buit then there was an awefull lot of cars made with them in so the law of averages would say you will hear of more auto box deaths than manuals, the trouble that most people have with this type of box fitted to the XM is that its hydr mechanical so under light throttling conditions it will always change up at a certain speed and on the overrun will change down at the same speeds too, it doesnt bother me at all as throttling harder gives delayed changes but dont be expecting an ECU controled box, nothing but the later 24v got that box, and they are a bit weak due to the box having to be removed from the car and stripped to change the filter and ZF making the box 'sealed for life' to attract the fleet buyer interested in low maintenance costs so many didnt get an oil change which is bad news, but thats only xantia and 24v xm that got that one.
As has been said by these good gents pick a smooth one and keep the oil clean and red with fresh D2 only and you will get little trouble at all.
Having said that though they will Not be as reliable or cheap as a manual its like asking a climate control system with air con to be as cheap to maintain and as reliable as just a standard manual control heater.

Hope your still awake, and good luck with your search.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory