Purchase in an American XM desert - am I brave enough?

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Purchase in an American XM desert - am I brave enough?

Post by Dieselman » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:35 am

The first and last days with an Xm are opposite ends of the emotional spectrum: First days are full of exitement and trepidation, but then like moss, the Xm grows on you.
Last days generally don't happen, but if they do it's best to avoid sharp knives, ropes, alcohol, or drugs, for a while...
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Isn't the xm prv version even fire and the older delorean, volvo, peugeot 505s and 504s and renault 30 installs odd fire..?

Either way.. its a prv as used in the delorean but produced more power in the xm at 175bhp rather then deloreans strangled 145bhp was it with all the emissions rubbish on it.. but even at 175bhp they are still a low power producing engine ..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

antonioconceicao
Can find the S1 radio

Post by antonioconceicao » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:51 pm

Congrats!

Make sure you drive up to Saratoga NY this year , that way we have 2 XM on the field ;)

Great event

Antonio
Pip wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:20 pm
Well - I greatly appreciate the additional comments. They were helpful during discussions. And now the car is in my garage!

I've not had too much time to experience the magic carpet ride, but even at low speeds, it is clearly unique to every other car I've driven. Even speed bumps and driveway entrances feel smoother.

Interestingly, this particular one is the smoothest shifting manual transmission I've had the pressure of piloting as well. That was unexpected and really quite the surprise. What a delight.

I hope that I don't need too much help from this fantastic community, but it is very reassuring to know of the generosity of the knowledge base available on this forum.

Dieselman, I really do appreciate the thoughts and feedback from "some bloke on the internet." Thank you so very much.

Best to my new French car family!

-Pip
1992 Citroen XM 2.0l Inj
Vin VF7Y3AC0007AC9679
Virginia USA

CarlBr
XM newbie

Post by CarlBr » Mon May 15, 2023 10:31 pm

Hi All,
Well turns out there are 2 guys in the Atlanta area interested in XM's. I am an Australian living there (I'm currently in Oz), who has owned many Cits in Australia, and want to 'feel the love' now in the USA.
The same dealer as above has a 1990 burgundy 2.0L manual for sale, from Spain, I suspect they came to the US at the same time. Pip, did you see it?
I am happy it is 2.0L, and manual, it has A/C which is needed here, there is a 16,000km XM for sale up north, no A/C, no way!
I understand there were quality issues with earlier cars, the ask is $12,750, high I know for Euro pricing, but, here not there as discussed above. I do not know what the price for the V6 was.
Any comments, advice, observations would be greatly appreciated. I have asked the dealer for under body photos, and when the cam belt was done / what service history it has.
Thank you

https://www.unitedimportscars.com/vehic ... 2a6b6e4a62

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue May 16, 2023 7:11 am

For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag, regarding desireability.
Good points:
Mandarin-Nacre pearlescent paint, which is one of the best colours for a series 1 Xm.
Judging by the front jacking points still being there the car has no rust.
Low mileage, generally very good condition.
Automatic heating control and A/c, so basically, climate control. I prefer the rotary dials to the push-button control, so positive here.

The Rp number is 4923, so a production date of 2nd May 1990, which makes it a reasonably early Xm, which adds to desireability as they are the original design concept, with items such as the rotary lights switch.

The items that would make the car less desireable to me...
It's a basic spec car, no electric seats, low spec seat material, no height adjustable rear head rests, no electric mirrors, no front foglamps, no steering wheel radio controls, no inner rear window, possibly the door armrests don't open for storage and they and the centre armrest are in plastic, not velour.
This car isn't fitted with the optional Hydractive suspension, so will ride like any standard Hydropneumatic citroen. Hydractive gives very a high level of ride comfort, but then switches to give sports car handling. Imho, This is the unique feature of an Xm, over other cars

The 2.0i engine is ok, just about powerful enough with average refinement, frugal if not driven hard.
The Be3 gearbox is not as slick, or robust as the Me5T of more powerful versions, but again is fine. Again, in my opinion the manual is the better option out of manual, or auto. The auto blunts the performance of the 2.0i quite a bit.

As far as reliablilty goes, there is nothing wrong with an early Xm. The stories that circulate are mainly myths and quite a lot of lies. The people circulating these know why they are doing it and now we know too. It's nothing to do with the car

The actual issues with early Xm that I am aware of are:
The Bosch fuel injection system was supplied with a plastic pulsation damper, which could overheat and leak fuel. There were some fires. That car appears to have the later metal damper fitted, which I think was standard fitment by the date that car was built.
The front height corrector rod bushing was a bit too tight on the shaft, so could cause binding and irregular height selection. Again, i think that car will not be affected as it is after the change to the bushing, which would have worn to tolerance by now anyway.
The multipole earthing points behind the headlamps could have poor connection, mainly causing issues with the Hydractive system going into hard mode. That car doesn't have hydractive, so no issue, but making good the Gnd terminals fixes any issues anyway. I personally prefer the multipole Gnd terminals and never experienced any issues.

For me, the Xm was meant to be a car bristling with technology, toys, buttons and hydractive suspension.
You may not be interested by the technology add-ons and may prefer a less complex classic car.

As far as I can see, there's no reason you shouldn't buy that car, but it might not fulfil your dreams of an Xm.

Antonio purchased a 2.0i and seems happy with it, so maybe ask his opinion. His is the next trim level up and does have hydractive suspension.
See his thread.
viewtopic.php?t=10452
Prev

CarlBr
XM newbie

Post by CarlBr » Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 am

Hi Dieselman
Thanks so much for the detailed reply and running your eye over it, you seem to pick up a lot I miss. I know it is a basic one, but as per the title it is a Citroen desert we live in..... My driving is 90% freeway, so loping along is nice, not much hard driving.
Was Hydractive option or year dependent?
I like the round dials / knobs too, reminiscent of the BX I had.
I like the colour a lot.

I found 2 x XM's for sale in Portugal today too, a 92 one with 137,000KM / 84,000 miles for E4,900,
https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C157956 ... ation_card

the other a 91 with 50,000 KM / 30,000 miles for E6500.
https://www.custojusto.pt/braga/veiculo ... n-39052809

They are both 2L, both manual, both leather, both same colour, so steering wheel buttons, one centre dials, the other buttons. They would be cheaper I think by the time imported, (though hard to know cost to get transported to RORO ship Belgium or Germany etc vs local container..... maybe I should buy both to save in a 40ft container!!) but there is the hassle, risk and unknowns to save perhaps..... maybe... $2000 for the 91, and $3500 for the higher km 92. I guess on mileage alone the Burgundy one sits in the middle of them price wise.
The high km / 92 has been resprayed which perhaps speaks to an outside life (or cheap labour). I can't tell id it has A/C.
Beyond leather my untrained eye cant tell if they are any better. I can't se Hydractive badging.

Does your eye detect one as being more desirable than the other two, assuming body / interior conditions are similar?

I note Antonio imported from Portugal, he may have an opinion about the process, and contacts.

Both have been for sale for a while so that may mean a lower price is achievable.

Once again, thanks for your time, expertise and generosity Dieselman.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 am

Hydractive was a factory option for all Xm. All UK supplied Xm had it as standard.
It could be retro fitted, but you would need the doner and recipient standing next to each other, to ensure you had all the parts required.

Hydractive Xm have the Auto/Sport slider switch to the left of the gear lever and you can see the front suspension strut tops are fed with 10mm pipes, as opposed to 3.5mm ones on a standard Hydropneumatic car.

The colour of both you list is Mercury and they both have A/c...the drier is fitted to the battery box.

I'm surprised the 1992 car has been resprayed, but it's most likely to be for sun damage to the lacquer. Note the rear light bar is sun bleached.
The engine bay on the early car appears in better condition, as you would expect with a lower mileage car.

There is no technical reason why a post 1992 Xm is better than a Pre 1992 and I'm a sucker for the original design, so out of those two the early car would be my choice.
I would look to buy exactly the Xm you want as supply is now becoming limited and Stateside you could be waiting a very long time for one to come available.

Video of 2.0i auto on test showing the effect of hydractive suspension.

It would be worth you spending some time reviewing the videos in the thread on here, as they show how the system performs and some good and poor examples of xm.
The motoring press rated the Hydractive Xm as "The comfiest car in the World." A title yet to be surpassed by Citroen.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8329
Prev

CarlBr
XM newbie

Post by CarlBr » Thu May 18, 2023 6:26 am

Hi again, Dieselman
Yes, I saw the A/C dryer afterwards.... silly me. I can't imagine a XM being owned in Portugal without A/C anyway!
I think based on your description of the Hydractive controls it looks like both Portugal cars have it, but not the USA one. The USA guy said that $12,750 is 'reasonable' pricewise (so not much wriggle room on the price) as that is similar to what he got for the last 2....... hmmmm not sure that his one for sale is an 'apples to apples' comparison to a 96 V6 VSX etc..... but probably expected from an 'opportunistic' importer, rather than an enthusiast.

I have sent out for shipping quotes, and I will go from there. The 91 is my favourite, I like the older steering wheel and dials,lower km, looks more loved, but the 92 seller is fluent in English, a car buff, and very helpful, offered to liase with a shipping company etc. I wish he was the seller of the 91!
Your point about the engine bays is well made.... the 91 has no corrosion, clean, garage kept I expect, the USA is clean too, the 92 looks every bit of a 133,000km car.
I enjoyed the video, and some others too. Love the Pommy sense of 'umour'

You are quite right..... buy the car you want, not what others want / think.

Thanks again for your insights, they have been very valuable to me.

Carl

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu May 18, 2023 6:42 am

Isn't the seller of the 1992 car a dealer? The advert says Private, but the images appear to be a trader.

Don't worry about the language barrier..Portugese can't be that hard to learn...
Prev

CarlBr
XM newbie

Post by CarlBr » Thu May 18, 2023 8:06 am

He is a dealer, but 'part time' I think. He is happy to source cars for a fee, The 91 guy it is like pulling teeth, all Google Translate. See how we go, fun is in the journey as much as the arrival!!