Just joined - XM Estate

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
The_Wombat
XM newbie

Just joined - XM Estate

Post by The_Wombat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:06 am

Happy Easter

Just joined as recently bought an XM estate which I was hoping to get back on the road.

Sadly it’s too far gone with underbody corrosion. I have some interest in the whole car but am also looking at another next week so may well keep this one as a donor or sell spares.

Will feed messages and photos to this forum as progress is made and use the wealth of knowledge that is available here.
Land Rover 101 FC Ambulance
Guilty of owning multiple Freelanders
Discovery 3 workhorse
Range Rover Sport 3.6TD
Alfa GTV Cup
Alfa 75 V6 Cloverleaf
Alfa 916 Spider

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Just joined - XM Estate

Post by citroenxm » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:01 am

Hey Neil.. welcome aboard..

I'm also sorry to learn of the cars full extent. It really didn't look that bad to me..

Wheres the potential donar car located.?
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:04 am

Isn't the already existing estate the doner, with the yet to be looked at one the potential "on the road Xm"?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:12 am

Good point depends what engine is in the donar though. Id rip out any 2.0 petrol and put in a 2.1td .. but thats what I meant the second car is a donar reciver..

Others

m0rda
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 7133
1996 3.0 V6 VSX, hatchback, auto, Diravi

Post by m0rda » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:44 am

Hello,
Great to meet you!
Hope your project would be successful.
XM is a great vehicle and owning it is a great fun!
m0rda
1996 XM 3.0 V6 VSX Auto RP7133

The_Wombat
XM newbie

Post by The_Wombat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Sorry if that caused confusion!!

Other Citroen to look at and possibly purchase this week is a 2.0 turbo petrol. It has been on FB market place for a while. Pictures look nice but needs a good check underneath. Changing to diesel is entirely feasible. I knoiw a little more about the diesel turbo than I do about the petrol turbo so any comments or advice welcome. I will start a thread under the right heading.

The donor is the one I bought with a few underbody rust issues. Always a risk and I was really hopeful to save it but there is no strength left in the car. Everything from front bumper hangers to rear sub-frame mounts has gone. I once had a Reliant Scimitar where the chassis went the same way. It looked solid and could withstand a poke and prod, but it was all rust, no metal left at all and if you kept poking and prodding, it just flaked away.

With that in mind, the donor is very complete and drives (2.1 diesel turbo auto). Everything is there, and it has some nice bits on it like series 1 alloy wheels and a leather interior. I have in mind if the silver one works out to build the estate I want out of the two and put any remaining spares up for sale if there is a demand or keep them for future use.

I have always wanted an XM estate since I first saw them on the road, and have had a CX, a GS Estate and a Xantia in the past. Lots of mechanical experience as well (welding and painting are not my forte but everything else is fair game) so hopefully I can figure this out!!

This is the donor. I do have it up for sale as a whole car at present (it is on eBay) but next steps depend on seeing the silver one.

Land Rover 101 FC Ambulance
Guilty of owning multiple Freelanders
Discovery 3 workhorse
Range Rover Sport 3.6TD
Alfa GTV Cup
Alfa 75 V6 Cloverleaf
Alfa 916 Spider

Degens

Post by Degens » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:49 pm

Hi Wombat, I am a bit curious what the registration of the estate is that you bought and appeared poor.

I had two, a green one R574 TJR. Sadly, I thought it was a good car; all the gadgets worked, but passed MOT with advisories related to corrosion. I then had it in SORN (not because it was broken, but because I had 3 XMs and could only drive 2 ;-). We then decided to sell one (a silver estate), and that was the M487LUW in 2015. The silver one passed all MOTs and only expired in 2021 according to the MOT history.

The one we thought was the better one (the green estate R574 TJR) was then MOT-ed me expecting to pass gloriously.... but the advisories appeared to have become irreparable (at least for the money I had available); lessen for me: repair advisories! It caused us to also sell that one, and I notice it is never MOT-ed since I did MOT it.... It was a good looking and nicely driving car, but fits your description of bottom being in a very poor state. Just curious.

In the mean time we looked for a replacement and got L912 BLJ, and that served as well. Dieselman has seen it several times on shows.

Incidentally, our blue XM (P820 UNM has been a year, yes a year!! in the garage, but will be on the road again next week!!! Yay!!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:59 pm

Hi hans. The estates an R reg one.. and letters KTV

I was aware your blue car was at a garage, and actually via the help of someone else diagnosed the running issue for the garage.. hopefully catch up properly this year at a rally..

Others

Degens

Post by Degens » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:01 am

yes, I hope to attend rally's again. It has been busy at work, so not sure what rallys we will attend, but it is definitely the plan!!!