Greetings from East Sussex

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
josh2109
Can find the S1 radio
Orga / RP numbers: RP6590 1995 2.1td SX Auto

Greetings from East Sussex

Post by josh2109 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:25 pm

Hi folks,

On Saturday I collected my first XM.

There's probably a joke in there about Land Rovers, Citroens, and complex suspension systems.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the car, it's spent about 8 years off the road so it's going to be a little project to recommission it. I'm sure it will be worth it though!

Cheers,
Josh
RP6590 1995 2.1td SX Auto

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Greetings from East Sussex

Post by Dieselman » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:24 am

josh2109 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:25 pm

There's probably a joke in there about Land Rovers, Citroens, and complex suspension systems.

There probably is, but more importantly I hope those gates at the end of your drive are electric operation, they must be awfully heavy to push.

The sign is a sign...only go forwards.

Which version Xm is it?
You may want to put your car on the register in the members car area and/or put basic details in your signature, to help when you have queries. The Rp number is key.

Citroen fluid suspension appears more complicated than Land-Rover air suspension, but in reality it's not and it's a lot more reliable and technically proficient.
Due to not being fixed gas volume, air suspension can't provide ultra large range, infinitely variable rate, springs, nor springs that switch in and out of operation depending on whether hard, or soft mode are required.
All air, or metal, sprung cars that offer dual modes just stiffen the dampers for hard mode, whereas Hydractive switches springs in, or out of operation as well as varying the number of dampers working and either allowing fluid cross-flow, or no flow allowed.

It's good to see another Xm being put back into service.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

josh2109
Can find the S1 radio
Orga / RP numbers: RP6590 1995 2.1td SX Auto

Post by josh2109 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:18 am

Thank you for the warm welcome!

The Landy doesn't set a very high bar in terms of reliability to be fair! I have a few BX's so this isn't my first foray into hydropneumatics but the XM is definitely the next step up.

The car I've taken on is an M reg 2.1 turbo diesel auto in SX trim; I think it is possibly a known car on the forum as I'm sure the chap I bought it from was a member. The car is M935DGC. Is the RP number the same as the build date code on the suspension turret of BX's, and is it in the same place on the XM?

The first issue I need to solve is difficulty starting, which I think is potentially down to an issue with the glow plug system and/or the fuel pump fitted to the car (I'm told it's for a manual car). I have a spare engine and auto box complete with fuel pump so I'll get that swapped in at some point if needed, but simplest solutions first and all that so I'll start with the glow plugs.

Once it starts reliably then I can continue fault finding, at the very least it needs a new accumulator sphere, some investigation as to why the headlights don't appear to work, and the brakes will need servicing.

I'll start a project thread once I've given it a wash and taken some better photos :)
RP6590 1995 2.1td SX Auto

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:29 am

Poor starting on a Td that's been standing is possibly glow plugs, but more likely an air leak into the fuel system. Check all the hose connections and the fuel filter.
The glow plugs will draw about 12 amps each, so you could check the total current draw if you have a suitable meter, or can make up a voltage drop shunt to meter across.

Headlamps is most likely to be the relay behind the headlamp. See Gabor's wiring diagrams. download/file.php?id=9711

I can't see that car in the register, so it's not known as such.
The Rp number should be on the left front door shut A post.

For Hydractive operation see the Citroen technical manual in the linked thread.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10291

Fault codes can be read using a Blink Code reader connected to the 30 pin socket under the steering column.

The Bx is a good car, but the Xm is a significant step up in all respects.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:37 pm

Being an M reg it will be an ATE type with bosch mechanical fuel system and most likely the unreliable fuel heater unit on the side the the head at the gearbox end still in circuit. They go pourus and allow air in and fuel drain back. Remove it from the fuel line circuit if its still on the line. Follow the fuel pipe back from the fuel filter and if the feed pipe from the top of the fuel filter goes to the head and back out then remove the two pipes and join them.

Bosch fuel pumps are possibly the most reliable pump fuel system you can get. The difference between a manual and auto pump is nothing but a bracket with a wheel on it for the kickdown cable to be attached to the throttle arm from the opposite side to the throttle cable.

I use my 2.1 td auto exclusive with the kickdown cable disconnected which I find perfectly adequate, gives a much improved mpg ... the auto seems to make the engine hold revs unesseaeraly ... a character of the zf4 hp18 auto box.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive