do I keep my Xm2.1td alive?

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
louisgg
XM newbie

do I keep my Xm2.1td alive?

Post by louisgg » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 am

My '91 model XM has never let me down but the bodywork is rusty (non galvanised model). Thought I'd put the engine into another body. Does the engine fit Xantia models? (A friend has one sans motor) or should I hunt for another Xm? Thanks

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: do I keep my Xm2.1td alive?

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi louisgg

Pleased you have found us here.
All XM's are galvanised.
Rust is now sorting out quite a few XM's.
It is just that a galvanised body shell has different rust problems that as a result often stay hidden from the owner until the MOT failure.
The rusting is often less than on comperable age cars so sorting it is often an option.
Doubt that an Xantia body shell is going to be much different.
Engine conversions are currently likely to cost more than buying a replacement XM.
Getting the conversion 100% can also be a pain.
Most get close but not quite perfect.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

John

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Louisgg

Firstly, welcome to the club. I thought all XMs were galvanised? I know some of the early and later ones are suffering some rust. It really depends on how bad the body is, will it cost you more to have it repaired than to buy another car? In my opinion the 2.1 td manual is the best car of the lot, very efficient engine and excellent fuel consumption for its size.

Ther have been one or two cheap 2.1 XMs about lately but mostly not running, if you can transport one you can get a bargain. The engine will fit the Xantia, the main difference being that the Xantia has partial electronic engine management so I would consider fitting a purely mechanical engine a positive advantage.

There is another thread where a 2.1 estate is available for very little money but I don't know whether it is driveable or not, worth a look anyway.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Sorry John, you obviously type faster than me :oops:
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red