Flat battery

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
correze xm
XM newbie

Flat battery

Post by correze xm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi,I'm in France and can't remember how to restart an xm suffering from a flat battery. I know I have to reset codes etc but without the aid of a manual or a local english speaking Citroen garage I'm a bit stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Flat battery

Post by Peter.N. » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi

Welcome to the club. It might help if we knew what model it was.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 am

Theres NOT much of a complex procedure what so ever! Petrol or DERV

you MUST have the ECU code, if the keypad is fitted in the car next to the electric mirror switchs in the centre console. Its then a simple fact of puttting the battery on, entering the ECU code and IF the red light goes green start and drive away!

If both red and green lights show, theres a loss of communication between the ECU and keypad.

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

correze xm
XM newbie

Post by correze xm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks Paul & Peter, It's a 20 CT Turbo. I'm trying to help the owner, a scatty old lady, currently going through a divorce, who's not prepared to speak to her husband who also happens to have the owners manual / codes etc.!!! Difficult to say the least. I used to sell new XMs so can remember certain things but where can I find the ECU code or are you refering to the owners unique code which we obviosly have. I'm pretty sure there was a way of resetting the owners code but cannot remember how to do it. I know if she could get it to the local Citroen dealer they could sort it out very quickly but she has been quoted 200 quid just to get it to them. Oh and by the way, she dosen't have any money either! Any suggestions apart from moving back to the UK??

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Correze xm

Paul is right nothing special about start-up after a battery change.
That is if you have the currently correct owners code.
It is just possible that the code has recently been changed by a.n.other to immobilise the car.
If the known code does not work and give a green light then do not keep trying codes.
3 wrong ones in succession cause a fixed time lock out.
It may just be that without use a bit of oxidation on the wiring contacts has stopped the keypad talking to the ECU.
If you supply the model year or ORGA I can supply a photo copy of the pages from the correct version of the owners manual.

John

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

correze xm wrote:Thanks Paul & Peter, It's a 20 CT Turbo. I'm trying to help the owner, a scatty old lady, currently going through a divorce, who's not prepared to speak to her husband who also happens to have the owners manual / codes etc.!!! Difficult to say the least. I used to sell new XMs so can remember certain things but where can I find the ECU code or are you refering to the owners unique code which we obviosly have. I'm pretty sure there was a way of resetting the owners code but cannot remember how to do it. I know if she could get it to the local Citroen dealer they could sort it out very quickly but she has been quoted 200 quid just to get it to them. Oh and by the way, she dosen't have any money either! Any suggestions apart from moving back to the UK??
Yes, I mean the unique owners code... The procedure for code resetting is not bad either, you put in the exsisting code then you press one of the lettered buttons, C or D or simillar but IM NOT Sure which one it is, you then enter your new code..

Someone with a handbook to hand should be able to confirm the procedure, Ive not got a handbook handy wre I am at the moment..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

correze xm
XM newbie

Post by correze xm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry not to have responded before but I've been unable to access the site. I've tried what you've suggested and unfortunately both lights stay on after entering the code. The engine will turn over but without any spark at the plug so obviously the immobiliser is working. I guess it's a question of cleaning the contacts as you've mentioned. I'm also assuming that you cannot change the code unless the green light comes on.
Thanks for your help so far.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

For the system to be in working order only the RED light should be light when the ignition is switched on.
The system has to be in this state before it will accept a code entry.
If both RED and GREEN lights are light together the system is in fault mode and the car immobilised.
The handbook is no help in this case, it simply advises a dealer visit.
As suggested above check the keypad to ECU wiring and clean the contacts first.
You are correct that you need the green light on to change the owners code.

John

correze xm
XM newbie

Post by correze xm » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for all your help, however I'm still struggling. I've tried all that has been suggested but to no avail and the code is definitely correct. The latest info I've been given is to leave the ignition on for two hours, then lock the car and leave for another ten minutes and then try the normal starting procedure. I've tried this once with a less than fully charged battery and again the red light stays on with the green and after three attempts locks itself out. I'm going to try the same procedure again in the morning with a fully charged battery and am keeping my fingers crossed. If this doesn't work I'm at a loss to know where to go, any suggestions?

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Poor battery charge state is known to cause immobiliser malfunction.
If you still get both red and green lights on with a fully charged battery light this will confirm that there is an immobiliser fault.
In good order the keypad should show just a single red light to indicate the immobiliser is engaged.
It has to be in this state for it to respond to the correct security code, dissable the immobiliser then showing the single green light.
If the red and green lights are showing a fault then the only options are, defective keypad, defective ECU or wiring fault on the interconnecting wiring.
If you have not already done so check the condition of the ECU plug contacts. Just undoing and reconnecting the plug might remake a poor contact.
After that swap Keypad and ECU with known good components is the cheapest and quickest check.
Citroen practice in these cases is ECU replacement with new.
Typically costs more than the car is worth over here.
The ignition on time out advice you have been given is standard practice for a keypad locked by wrong key entry.
It is unlikely to clear a defective system.
The lock-out time varies from 1 min to multiples of 1 hr depending on the age of the XM.

John