My car floats on flourescent green!

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Garlic_Barge
Can find the S1 radio

My car floats on flourescent green!

Post by Garlic_Barge » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Evening chaps,

After getting married on saturday, my beautiful new wife Michelle drove me 200 miles to go and see an XM! It was a bit tatty, but the colour was right, it was the correct spec for me, 80K miles, and a full and comprehensive service history. There were a few faults, one being a pretty useless accumulator sphere, but all the rest seemed in very good condition, that and the fact the gear linkage has more play in it than the whole ann summers catalogue! :lol:

Either way I put on my best haggling face with a view to getting enough off the asking price to make it worth my while, fortunately the current owner (throughly decent chap) folded like a house of cards when faced with a gentle breeze.

The car drove back fautlessly, managed around 45mpg and was jolly floaty indeed!

Today I decided to start by changing the fluid in the reservior, took the cap off expecting black filters and brown fluid, only to be greeted with off white and bright green! Happy days! 8-) I treated her to some citerobics and then started with the big clean!
It was obvious it had been used as a loved form of transport, rather than a loved posession, to the interior needed a through clean, and the outside the same. The paint was covered in a vast swathe of halos, hologramming, and multiple scratches. I have made a start and given the paint as much love as I can with my facilities, so a wash, clay bar, wash and then a coat of hard wax was in order. All of the plastics were a mess as was the rubber, first up I decided to try something new on the rubber as it was covered in lots of little brown spots. I took a piece of 800 grit wet and dry, and went to work!

here you can see the brown spots -

And a before and after -

I then took one of my favorite detailing products, value boiled linseed oil, and started to condition the plastics and rubber, and what a difference! The chrome / plastic trim instantly came up like new, as did all the freshly abraded rubber.

Side trim 50 / 50 -

Screen cowl -

The leather was conditioned, wipers replaced, floors hoovered, and glass rainxed.

So without further ado, here she is -

I have yet to sort the occasional juddery steering, and perpetual ticking (about every 5 - 10 seconds!). I am blindly hoping the regular citerobics, a new accumulator, and in a while some fresh LHM, will alleviate these issues. The gear linkage will just be a case of sorting out some replacement parts, then some gas in the AC and I will be pretty happy!

Cheers,

J

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: My car floats on flourescent green!

Post by citroenxm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Welcome to the mad house..

Your Air Con will be the older R12 Setup, and you may get a lot of Oooerr you cant get that Gas anymore....

A straight 2.oi Injection? 45mpg is pretty good for any of the Petrol engines, did you do 40 mph all the way home... :lol:

She looks very tidy indeed and a nice buy... youll find lots of help on here when ever you need.

Are you a Valiter by trade? Your clean up tips look stunning!! Very nice indeed!

Regards
Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:58 pm

rather than wet and dry try some thinners on the rubber bits to remove the lichen, then as you suggest although im an autoglymaholic :lol:

Stunning looking car 40mpg is certainly achievable in these, i know ive done it with ease on long haul motorway stuff and mines Auto.
Good luck with the car, ive seen it advertised and it looks really nice, in fact im sure it used to belong to someone here.........

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Nice work and a lovely, rare color.

What did you do to the rear lighting clusters?

cheers
G
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

Garlic_Barge
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Garlic_Barge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 am

Morning guys,

It was a steady 65-70mph on the way home, but maintaing a steady speed is a vital part in achieving good fuel consumption, I am a Calibration Engineer by trade and in this day and age fuel consumption testing comes as part and tedious parcel with that!

Hmmm, R12 you say? I have just done a quick search and it would appear that I can get R49 put in its place without and detrimental effects, sounds good to me!

I did not think of thinners to put on the rubber, my wife has lots of acetone (she is a beauty therapist), that would probably work too.

As for the rear clusters, not a whole lot really, bit of a light polish with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then a coat of DoDo wax 8-)

I would love to get a single spoke Ph1 steering wheel for it, will it be a straight swap as i'm not using the stereo controls? And has anyone got one!? :P

Thanks for the kind words,

J

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 am

Ah right... Well as for a steering wheel the answers i can give you are yes a straight swap they use the same connector. And yes ive got one or two or possibly three in the shed... :D :D

paul

Others

Garlic_Barge
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Garlic_Barge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am

Excellent! You don't happen to have some side lights too do you?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 am

Only for me too keep for myself.. :D :D ...... They are 21 quid new on ebay...

Paul

Others

Garlic_Barge
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Garlic_Barge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 am

haha, oh well, always worth a try!

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 am

Very impressive work indeed and it's good to see another series one rescued and cherished. The colour looks like meteor grey or perhaps more likely anthracite, which I have on my contemporary 2.0sei turbo (photo attached). Regards, Matthew T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!