Whoops, I seem to have become an XM owner

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Whoops, I seem to have become an XM owner

Post by cxprestigeauto » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:34 pm

:shock: This was definitely NOT a planned purchase, in fact I had specifically said I wasn't going to buy a new car but fate has dealt me a cruel blow. There I was minding my own business and gently hoarding my meagre redundancy cheque when along comes this emerald green XM 2.1 VSX automatic estate on an R plate with 40K (yes you did read it right, 40K) on the clock. Being sold by the widow of a CCC member, she was keen for a quick sale and one look at the full history (from original bill of sale onward including all MoTs and services) plus a very satisfactory test drive and the deal was done. Did I mention it was taxed and tested until January 2012? There is also an unused towbar and boot liner. Unfortunately there is no aircon but the electric sunroof works well so I am getting used to lots of wind noise in exchange for cool air :roll:
Aside from needing a good valet and a couple of seat switches the car is in great shape as you would expect from the mileage. It has lots of minor paintwork scratches but I am hoping a clay bar and polish will lose most of those. There are also some small but annoying dents in the bonnet where it looks like sockets have been dropped on it! Not sure whether to get a 'dentmaster' type repair done or just leave with them, I suspect the later! Predictably the 'chrome' strips are cloudy and the edge of the screen shows delamination but these seem almost obligatory for any XM. The grey velour interior is in good shape but the dot matrix display is predictably patchy. The only broken cover is the security key pad which I am trying to disconnect/bypass as it is driving me nuts :evil:
Not sure whether she is a 'keeper' but I am enjoying the comfort and laid back motoring.
Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Whoops, I seem to have become an XM owner

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 am

YAY! Welcome Rob.... Nice to see you here, and finally lured into XM owner ship!

I may be wrong but I dont think the key pad is a baypassable thing... but you could try the when engine running unplug it trick!! but DO remember the Code for when you plug the keypad back in!

The other thing to check despite the low miles are the strut tops UNDER the wheel arch, this is the important area, not how they look on top under the bonnet.. if they are bad you'll see the rubber being pushed out downwards...

Really good to see you here, but shame Ill miss you this year at CXM!! I hope you will still be in XM owner ship next year!

Regards
Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by cxprestigeauto » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 am

Cheers Paul,

While I am no expert on these beasts (or much else for that matter!) I did peer under the arches to check the dreaded strut tops and all seems well.

Still struggling on with the keypad. Mr Smart suggested disconnection with the engine running...........

Rob

Duke
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Duke » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 am

Well I never Rob - I wasn't expecting that! :shock:

Happy XMing! You sure you don't want to show it off to us at the National this weekend!?? :D ;)

Any pics?
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 am

Welcome to the dark side Rob.

Hopefully the Xm ownership experience will be a good one, and it won't take long for it to work its way under your skin.

Keypads are a pain. I remove from cars if I can.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by cxprestigeauto » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 am

Pictures later in the week after I have give the old gal a wash and polish! The very grubby interior came up well for a quick valet so I am hoping for similar miracles with the paint. Still can't quite work out how this leviathan came to arrive on my drive! I am having a real heart/head issue with this car as she is nowhere near a 'classic' and I have no need of a car this size, on the other hand I am really enjoying the drive and she is just so comfortable!
There is also the rather significant issue of tying up my rather fixed amount of capital in a 13 year old car that I don't need :cry:

Rob (confused) Draper

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am

cxprestigeauto wrote: Still struggling on with the keypad. Mr Smart suggested disconnection with the engine running...........

Rob
lol so did I.... :D

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 pm

There is also the rather significant issue of tying up my rather fixed amount of capital in a 13 year old car that I don't need
Better than money in the bank! And its a modern classic! :D :D
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by cxprestigeauto » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:40 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:
There is also the rather significant issue of tying up my rather fixed amount of capital in a 13 year old car that I don't need
Better than money in the bank! And its a modern classic! :D :D
Strange but my wife seems to hold a different view.............. :D

I almost tried to fill the tank from empty but bottled it at 50+ litres............. :shock:

The little trip computer is telling me that the old gal is doing 35mpg. Any thoughts?

Rob

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:46 pm

cxprestigeauto wrote: The little trip computer is telling me that the old gal is doing 35mpg. Any thoughts?

Rob
That's not too bad for local work in an Auto. You will be pleasantly surprised what it can do on a long run.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White