XM REPAIRS

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
InsidiousXM
XM newbie

XM REPAIRS

Post by InsidiousXM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi guys, Im new to the forum. Im a proud owner of a Citroen XM sx mk2 2.1td, free from a lovely chap where it was in a field for 5 odd years! Endorfin got it for me (cheers, I think?) I must admit, Im a complete novice and know nothing about cars!

Anyway, Ive taken the rad and intercooler out as there was a leak from a pipe spurting out LHM. the rad and the intercooler crumbled in my hands, so I know they need replacing. But the pipe thats leaking has a hole the size of an ant, I think it leads to the the ABS? its the silver motor next to the green sphere below the fuel filter.

Can this be repaired or should I replace the pipe? also theres another leak at the back, kerb side- spurting LHM, this is four small pipes running together througout. A pin hole just spraying a mist of LHM. can this be repaired or must the pipe be replaced? Does it come individually or do I have to replace the whole section?

Ill be a frequent visitor learning as mush as I can when I come across a problem that I have with the XM. I hope I can do it justice and get it back on the road....

Chris

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: XM REPAIRS

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Chris

Welcome to the club. I'm pleased to see you have the best model - as long as its manual :D I expect its stay in the field had taken its toll on the hydraulic pipework. Most repairs I have made by cutting out a section and replacing it, you used to be able to get a flaring tool, pipe and fittings from Plaiades but don't know if they are still doing them.

Don't know where you reside but if its in the south west I have a radiator and intercooler that I believe are OK. You will love it when itd done.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

InsidiousXM
XM newbie

Post by InsidiousXM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Yes its a Manual...That's reassuring news! I have a friend in the south that has a xm estate (endorfin) Im sure he'd be happy for fetch them for me for a couple of beers in return. I live in Leicestershire.

Im certainly interested in having them off you for a reasonable price. Replacing a section of piping does sound the best thing to do. But like I say Im a novice! as for the pin prick leak i have thats spraying lovely LHM over my drive, is there an easier option of repairing this then cutting it out?

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

That will be a high pressure pipe, I have tried soldering them to no avail, pressure to high. If its not rusted all the way round you could braze or silver solder it but the best solution is to replace it, or at least the rusty section.

If you are interested in the rad and intercooler let me know because they are also in a car in a field, the rad was new not to long before my wife wrapped the car round a bus shelter, I don't think it is damaged but I will need to check.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Chris,

I've been too busy to have a look for you the last few days but will try to pop round tomorrow and have a look. The pipes will need replacing, and depending on which ones are leaking I may have one, or we can get Martin at pleaides to make suitable ones up for you.

Fitting pipes to Citroens is easy apart from access, but having taken the rad and intercooler off you have got round that.

I do have a good rad and cooler if you want, but lets get the hydraulics sorted first.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

InsidiousXM
XM newbie

Post by InsidiousXM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Right, the rear pipe has a pin hole, tiny....that will need to be cut out i think and replaced. The front pipe that leads from the ABS to the front o/s brake its completly corroded and snapped. that is a small section that can be replaced completely. So, do I need to get them made up? Will, you wont have the pipe for the ABS to the front o/s brake I dont think but the rear pipe may be compatible?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:47 pm

I have replied to your mail.

I probably do have the front to rear pipe, work out which one and either I or you can take a look at what I have.

For the front pipe, depending on which one it is I may have a suitable bit of pipe, alternatively have one made up, but get a bag of new seals as well...although, they will evaporate before you get to use them unless locked down in a very tight tin... :lol:
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White