Hello all...Someone please temper my XM lust!

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Rommel
Has changed a sphere or two

Hello all...Someone please temper my XM lust!

Post by Rommel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello everyone.

As you can see from my join date I've been interested in XMs for some time.
I was in fact lurking around way before my join date!

The idea of a hydropneumatic Citroen has always been an automotive glint in my eye.
Recently I've been thinking that it really is time to scratch that itch and who knows, perhaps fall in love! :D
With the joke that is the UK road surface quality wearing increasingly thin, a smooth ride is more important than ever (I'm also getting older and don't have time for rock-hard rides anymore).

I can see that XMs are starting to rise in value, I fear that soon they may be out of my price range to consider as a tryout.
Xantias were on my list too. Having looked at one in a scrapyard it may be too small for my needs, and let's face it, it doesn't have the je ne sais quois of the XM.

I am mechanically resolute (though that doesn't make me talented at all :mrgreen: ), I'd be quite happy trying to do my own maintainence up to a point. Have done jobs like fuel pumps, starter motors, suspension swaps, entire interior swaps on my previous cars.

So here are my questions that I'd love some opinions on:

How good at maintainence do you have to be to own an XM?

Is the ride all it's cracked up to be?

Is an S2 a more sensible proposition than an S1?

Lastly, will a TCT bankrupt me at the petrol pump? (a 2.1TD auto might be just a bit too slow for me, ha ha!)
Rohan
ES9 V6
Previous:
2.1TD Exclusive Orga 6668
2.5TD VSX Estate

ragger
Citrobics expert

Re: Hello all...Someone please temper my XM lust!

Post by ragger » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 pm

There are many more people on this forum who are better qualified than me to offer you advice and answer your questions, but I shall have my three pennorth anyway.

I have owned and enjoyed three XMs and I am currently looking to buy the best one I can afford, even though I have a Saab 9-5 that is brilliant in many respects. That is how big old Citroens get you.

My first was a 16 valve petrol: not many toys but in hindsight adequate performance and economy and very comfortable. I swapped a Renault 5 Monaco to get it, because I decided I was too big and old for the 5.

My second was a 2.5 TD Estate that was cosmetically challenged but had loads of "oomph" and good economy. Being a 2.5 it was a manual, which is ok but I think they are better suited to auto cruising. The foot operated parking brake can be a bit of a pain to get used to in the manual.

My last XM was a 12 valve V6 which was thirsty but powerful and luxurious. I parted with it after a few months because it needed work doing to it that I didn't have the skills to carry out and as a consequence, I lost quite a lot of money on the deal. Yet here I am looking for another one.

I wish you good luck. If you live in the Cambridgeshire area you seem to have a distinct advantage in terms of availability because there are very few up here in the north-east.

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 am

ALL need carefull checking for rust, Series 2 cars MORE then S1 cars. S1.5 cars have the most reliable and most likely to work suspension without any mods, though mods are easy to do on the S2 suspension...

TCT's are quite heavy on juice with a keen right foot but are the most common engines. 2.5's are very good but also like the fuel a bit more then 2.1's. The best bet IF you can find one is a 2.1 with manual box though the gear change is NOT the best in the world, but the manual box really makes a difference to the engine character.

S2 2.0i 16v engines are a good petrol Gem.. they are reasonable on fuel (35mpg) and perform quite well.. again most with auto box's..

This Estate 16v Manual wont go far wrong for you, and the seller is known to me ..

Or this Auto Hatch but we have no idea if its Turbo or 16v.

Series one cars are getting rarer to find now, as most are with owners who want to keep them.

The only other question is do you want a Project to do up, or an already running car.?
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 am

Best advice is buy the best you can afford.

TCT is fine, but too hard on juice for the performance given. The 2.0 16V is a nice compromise.

The 2.5 TD is the way forward if you want a manual diesel. The 2.1 auto is fine, but not the quickest, but more readily available than 2.1 manuals.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:17 am

I have been running them for over 15 years and my car of choice is the 2.1 manual estate, the performance is pretty good, certainly adequate for me, with tremendous low down torque and the fuel consumption can exceed 50 mpg if you have that sort of restraint, the only real downside is that they are getting very scarce, I still have one on the road but have had to replace the other one with a C5 :oops: which I think is probably the only other practical car with a decent ride.

If you are not going to do a high mileage the 2.5 td might be the car for you, there seem to be more available but they are neither as easy or cheap to maintain as the 2.1. Unless your name is John :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm not going to help here...

If you fancy a TCT get over to look at this one, the seller is genuine and a member on here, and I think this represents pretty reasonable value if it's as described and a series 2 is what you want.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3856
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

citroenxm wrote:Or this Auto Hatch but we have no idea if its Turbo or 16v.
That shows up as 150bhp so a TurboCT as the 16v is 135bhp.
I'd rate the 16v petrol 2.0i engine mind and it is good on fuel.

It's interesting to note that the first thing most people who buy a s2 Xm do
is go out searching to buy a s1 steering wheel and wheeltrims. Why fight it,
buy a s1 in the first place!! lol

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Actually, one more thing I'd say from personal pain and experience;
don't go buying an auto unless you're completely certain the relevant
fettling and paranoia have been applied to it's maintenance as they
do go 'pop' and are damned expensive.

After half deciding on a s1 or s2 if buying a manual the mpg and performance
is usually appreciably better so it then depends if you're after petrol or diesel.
So. I'd say 2.5 for a diesel (but only as a s2), 2.1 manual if s1 and then a 2.0i s2
16v or s1 TCT 2.0i or a V6 (if you're lucky to fine one!). Then of course there's the
decision if you're after an estate or a saloon as s2 manual estates don't exist
any longer as PeterN has been looking for one for years now! ;)

Or you chuck all the above out and buy what you can find at the condition that
works for you as Robert says and who knows what you'll end up with; a s1 2.1TD
manual estate, a s2 2.0i TCT auto saloon (a usual 'find' on ebay) or a s2 2.5TD saloon!!

Keep an eye on the Sales and Wants whilst lurking as most things get flagged up
there quite quickly. Happy searching...

Rommel
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by Rommel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Thank you all for your welcomes and advice.

I have been studying the "XM mystery" for some time.

I suppose it is coming to the point of taking the best examples rather than your ultimate preferred variant.

I'd love a 2.5TD despite the worries of the cost of parts. And I see they are gaining in popularity on here.
A 2.1 TD would be ok as a manual. I think I might die waiting for the auto to get going :lol:

TCTs, yeah I wouldn't mind but economy really sems poor.
V6 I'd love but I bet i couldn't afford to feed its drink habit.

There is in fact what i think is a 1995 TCT Exclusive in black that lives a quarter of a mile from here, it pulled out of a fairly well-concealed driveway in front of me a few months back and I nearly crashed. To be honest that was probably as much to do with my shock at seeing an XM in the flesh as to the close proximity!

Since my interest took hold I've only ever seen that one and a white one on the other side of the A77 (I live in Glasgow).

Many years ago (mid-90s) I used to visit a studio off Argyll Street through an archway, which I now know to be the home of the late Graham Harper's Garage. I used to love peering at all the CX, GS, Visas etc that used to be strewn all over the courtyard at that time.

It's time for a Citroen!
Rohan
ES9 V6
Previous:
2.1TD Exclusive Orga 6668
2.5TD VSX Estate

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 pm

If you suffer from addiction, don't think about buying an old Citroen. Mine went from one to three, then back to two...but a third (not an XM) may be on the horizon if I really feel like a full on project car.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White