Captain Slow want's an XM

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Captain Slow
Knows how to use the parking brake

Captain Slow want's an XM

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:14 am

Hi

I'm Simon, been around Citroen forums for some time. I used to own an Activa, I have a BX estate that currently resides in a barn, and I have had a Xsara VTS. Currently I own a 156 GTA, but I now fancy a luxo barge again. I also have my first child on the way in December so need something a bit more sensible....like an XM :lol:

I have always promised myself a V6 XM, and I'd like the 24v version.

I don't do sensible very well.

I have only seen one for sale at the moment, and although it looks nice, it seems a bit pricey to me, although in excellent condition (apologies to the forum member who owns it)

Do any of you know of any others for sale?
Last edited by Captain Slow on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Captain Slow want's an XM

Post by andmcit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 am

Crumbs you're joking Simon! Series 1 24v v6's are rarer than honest politicians...

You certainly won't be slow driving one should you find one somewhere but it's
very likely you'll have to buy one in from the continent as LHD!!

Try getting yourself a Xant v6 24v as these are potent reliable and more prevalent
than any other v6 options available! Or bite the bullet with David's Xm 24v!!

Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 am

andmcit wrote:Try getting yourself a Xant v6 24v as these are potent reliable and more prevalent
than any other v6 options available! Or bite the bullet with David's Xm 24v!!
But I've had a Xantia, and it's not an XM.

It seems I have underestimated the price of the 24v then... :(

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 am

I know what you mean :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Captain Slow

Less than 1% of the remaining XM's in the UK are Mk1 V6's.
The known ones are usually well prized, nurtured and seldom sold.
I guess I have seen 3 recorded as changing hands in the last 5 years.
There have been a couple of barn finds in the same time and both have raised over £1000.
This despite the questionable completeness and dubious condition.
There were no RHD Mk2 manual V6's manufactured for the UK.
The RHD Mk2 V6 auto version was produced from 1997 and there have been quite a few turn up in the last few years.
A few have been of good provenance and commanded £2000 plus.
The remainder have had significant problems (usually gearbox) and typically sell for £600 plus.
To me supply is now drying up and again probably started from lest than 1% of all UK XM's.
European prices tend to be just a little higher (until you add in the get it back here cost).
It is just that the EU supply gives far more to select from.

I think you need to be very sure that no other XM will suit and that you particularly want a V6-24v.

John

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 am

Whilst I totally agree a Xantia isn't an Xm, the difference is there's
around 350 V6 Xantiae versus around 50 or so 24v s1 XM when new!
heaven knows how many there are left now but not many so one for sale
can be any price really irrespective of what the market wants to pay.

I believe Paul (citroenxm) still has a V6 auto saloon with lpg available
for sale although that's a 12v'er. Depends if you're after a manual car.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Well yes I do have an XM needing a home.. :P

She is a V6 SEi Auto 12v on LPG. Its a 1992 K reg S1.5 but needs a fair bit dooing though I have EVERYTHING to do it here to go with it.

Let me sell you the XM V6.. :lol: .. In green, later S1.5 all body colour panels, fully loaded with EW, PAS, ESR, Full Leather interior, electric arm rest, wood trim, Cruise control, ABS - has issues, heated seats rears work, fronts dont, Air con upgraded to R134a later system...

Now, the work.. Still starts and drives, but the engine is getting tired. It was on 180k when I fitted it due to the original auto box snatching. My guess its passed 200k. Auobox still perfect though. I have to go with her a replacment 80k engine and autobox (cant proove the milage, but I KNOW it has about 80k), needs bonnect and drivers wing replacment, have both in colour, front bumper brakets rebuilding, and no doubt some spheres fitting. One strut top is good, the other could do with replacment, should have one for her. Exhaust is OK, but a little bit rusty IIRC shes not blowing much if at all. And unfortunally one again the rear section of the passenger side sill needs welding again. Original "24v S1" Sport type alloys included too.

The LPG is a single point setup, but works. Infact with the current engine works better on Gas then petrol. Works, and when I had her on the road would give me an equivilent 40mpg. From the V6 it was just perfect. Its a big 80ltr tank in the boot takes about half the boot up, leaves half for shopping bags. All here, just needs the effort, all available for £500 quid.... A BARGAIN. I should do her up myself, but ill never get round to dooing it. Shes been waiting 3 years now.

The ABS is a pain, however, the light shows on the dash and the message shows out of use, but strangley it still works, and I prooved this to myself one day!!

I have a V6 24v S1 Manual XM for play time now, also an S1 early SED 2.1 Diesel Manual. Ive got another one comming end of next month to satisfy my colour choice too. So really, theres no rom for her with me anymore. If I did do her up, Id sell her for double the £500 Im sure due to the LPG.

But thats it, and for anyone else who is reading this. She is here... waiting for new care.

Ive just done 5x more welding on my 24v XM then what this 12v auto needs.

Cheers.
Thanks for reading.... if you got this far before getting board.. :lol:
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Duke
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Duke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Simon.

Indeed, the Series 1 24v is a very rare beast and come up rarely.

They're worth the wait though... :o :shock: :D :D

...and don't forget that with the LHD Cars you get the benefit of Diravi Steering. Must admit it's quite bizarre experiencing it on an XM...
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid an auto doesn't do it for me, nor lpg, but thank you for the offer.

The 2ltr turbo found in the Activa is a nice engine I found, but how does it cope with the larger XM? I suppose it could work as a compromise...

Duke
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Duke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Unfortunately if you don't like Auto's then you've eradicated most of the available S1 V6s - Manual cars are few and far between with little 24Ver's left, and most 12V'ers being Autos...

:idea: IIRC there was a S1 V6 12v Manual advertised in the CCC's Citroenian Magazine a few months back actually...
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN