New XM owner (perhaps) - Any advice welcomed

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
oli
XM newbie

New XM owner (perhaps) - Any advice welcomed

Post by oli » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi
I have always wanted an XM ever since i first saw one

There is a 'N' registered 2.5 diesel VSX estate for sale locally that looks pretty good to my fairly inexpert eyes
No obvious damage apart from a few minor dinks, no 'budget' tyres (actually *very* good tread goodyears), no tacky bling

140,000 miles 2 former keepers, full service history

Its in an auction, entered by an individual (not direct from a trade-in) and I wont be able to drive it but should be able to check the paperwork and see it start and drive through the sale ring. Most cars at this auction are pretty rough and there for a good reason but I have seen (and bought) some good ones over the years

I know (from this site!) that the 2.1 diesel is preferred - what is the problem with the 2.5?
Also, I think (from memory) that the vsx is more 'interesting' in terms of being hydra-active and electronically controlled

I have had (wifes got it now) a xantia with the regular suspension (all mechanical and not too scary to work on) so am fairly happy with most things

What should I look out for?
Is the 2.5 horrible? Or just un-loved and why?

I am aware of some strut-top issues - is there an easy way to spot them

I will be able to crawl around the outside of the car with a torch in the car park, and probably briefly peek under the bonnet when it starts - but that is likely to be it

Your help and comments would be very welcome

oli
XM newbie

Re: New XM owner (perhaps) - Any advice welcomed

Post by oli » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Forgot to mention it has a tow hitch with a caravan type elctrical connection

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Oli

Welcome, will post a full reply later.
No one should buy 2.5 XM's.
It keeps the prices of them down for me.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm

All xm's have hydractive suspension, not like xants where lower spec ones only got the old rolly bx setup.
2.5's are not unloved and if i was looking at burning from the black pump i would have one but the cooling system can be the achilies heel of the car, it has two rads, one big, one small, and two stats, like any car on the market overheating due to water loss will kill the head gasket stone dead so make sure the coolant is clean with plenty of antifreeze, make sure there is no crusty deposits around either of the rads although the little one is tricky to see.
The big, BIG thing to check for is rust, sills, especialy at the front of the cills in the front wheel arch. Rear, rear subframe mounts and the chassis rails (box sections in the floor pan), have a good feel for delaminated or bubbling underseal.
Other than that no trouble at all really.

Oh welcome to the forum and good luck with the potential new toy.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:29 pm

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Oli

Welcome, will post a full reply later.
No one should buy 2.5 XM's.
It keeps the prices of them down for me.

John
Oh yes sorry i forgot, Oli dont buy 2.5's, rubbish cars, stick to the 2.1 much much better engine, the 2.5 is just an old pug van engine, nasty little thing ;) .

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Oli

All UK XM 2.5 Estates were VSX but a few came with extras (alloys, leather trim, aircon).
The UK XM cars were VSX or Exclusive.
The XM range was (Top) Exclusive, VSX (Mid) & SX (Base).
From the above you will realise that Citroen considered the 2.5TD engine too good to waste on base spec cars.
I have owned and used nearly every type of XM including 2.1's.
I keep them as working cars, so none of this polished XM only out for shows lark.
After a while I just reduced to some 2.5's and V6 autos.
For me they were the only XM's that drove in the way I wanted them too and were generally reliable.
I found both types were fairly equal as the 2.5 has a counter balanced engine making it as smooth as the V6.
It was the extra 200 plus miles per tank full that I got out of the 2.5's that finally made me get rid of the V6's.

For many XM enthusiasts there is a significant anti factor because 2.5's are not considered proper XM's.
The down is not on the engine so much as the vehicle interior which is the revamped Mk2 big Xantia like dash and trim.

Reading the threads on here you will find a few XM diehards who get 2.5's and quickly become converts.
Most of them daily users who I suspect want to get to work on time with a reasonable weekly fuel bill.

As to assessing condition:
My first concern would be body shell,
I would check the inner cills/outer floor pan for rust and distortion.
With a car the check would be wheel to wheel each side.
With an estate I would check further right back to rear bumper.
Because of the galvanised body shell rust is more difficult to spot and assess.
Those in real trouble will be showing at this age.
There are details on here about strut head checking.
Rust and tearing of the structural rubber are the items to look for.
Not the great problem it was now we have a reasonable price refurbishment source on tap.
Those are all general XM problems.
My next concerns with a 2.5 would be clutch condition, engine belts and radiators.
Average clutch life is 175k to 250k but is expensive for parts and labour if you cannot do it yourself.
Belt condition is best dealt with by changing them anyway. Spare engines are hard to find and expensive.
Radiators (there are 2) do not seem to last well, expensive £120 & £80 apiece.

That sums it up.
A reasonable condition 2.5 XM is a good prospect , just needs careful planned maintenance.
Can be a bit expensive when work or parts are needed.
Typical values: Scrap £200, Running shortish MOT £400, Reasonably good condition long MOT £700. Exceptional condition £1500.
Buying at auction with limited inspection may reduce those values a bit and also prevent it being considered as exceptional.

Best of luck in what you decide and the auction if you bid.

John

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm

I have driven 2.1s and 2.5s and while the 2.5 ubdoubtedly has a more powerful, smoother engine and a much lighter clutch, the 2.1 is an easier and cheaper car to maintain and the engine is bomb proof. If you are not going to do a lot of miles a 2.5 should be fine but I was doing about 25,000 a year so needed something that was relatively cheap to maintain.

The same thing applies in a different way to the C5, the 2.2 engine is wonderfully smooth but the 2.0L is simpler, cheaper to repair and better on fuel. I know I have both ;)

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

oli
XM newbie

Post by oli » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm

THANKYOU

Thanks for all the answers and especially to xmexclusive for such a detailed reply
But really thanks to everyone

I will have a really good poke about tomorrow and see what turns up

Fantastic forum

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 pm

I feel any 'anti 2.5' vibes are because of the additional complexities and more limited availability of spares
for the 2.5 rather than it being a "my s1 is better than your s2" feeling - I love how my 2.5 drives like a
petrol and am quite happy to live with the s2 bodyshell with it being the only offering for the 2.5 despite
my having a real passion for the looks and general 'feel' I get with the early s1 or midlife "1.5".

Despite just yesterday experiencing a gear selection failure on my black 2.5 Exclusive saloon, I cannot sing
the praises of this engine higher and am already misssing the daily drive of it despite having other interesting
options to drive like V6 and Activa Xantiae, an Xm s1.5 TCT and a CX GTi Turbo2.

The big car feel with it's quite belligerent, potent cross country abilities which the car offers with such
ease, combined with it's amazing looks and practical towing and carrying abilities make mine totally
indespensible and very addictive. Best of all, the 2.5 only came as a manual and despite the current issue
with mine, in it's current unusable state I wouldn't swap it for a working auto 2.1TD that I could probably
borrow off my father if I really needed a long run in a TD XM - the gearbox is hopeless and out of sync
with the daily irritation of speed cameras and almost universal self imposed lower speed limits well under
the actual prevailing limit by the world at large trying to eke out 200mpg from their plastic japcrap teatrays...

oli
XM newbie

Post by oli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 am

I have very sadly decided that I will have to wait to get an XM although I am so tempted

I have put details here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4100
In case anyone else is interested in the car - i hope it finds a good home

Thanks