Should I get an XM?

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: Should I get an XM?

Post by CitroJim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am

Tog, I'd also recommend very much to take an experienced XM owner with you when you look at any potential purchases. It really needs a knowledgeable eye to know all the potential trouble areas and spot a good 'un...

Mine occasionally passes through Wiltshire too :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

casalingua
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by casalingua » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:12 pm

I would say yes, go ahead. Three things are essential. Buy the best XM you can afford, get breakdown cover for emergencies and keep a grand or so in the bank at all times to cover sudden repairs. This last one is just a security blanket for peace of mind. I have kept a fighting fund for my 21 year old XM since 2007. I´ve never drained my "fighting fund". It means that whenever I do have some repairs the cost is, as it were, paid for advance. I find it reassuring. It´s no wierder an arrangement than spending £245 a month on a new car repayment plan. Well maintained, an XM is a perfectly serviceable car. Like any older car,things break. Just be prepared for the odd visit to the mechanic and you´ll be fine. The payoff is knowing you have a beautiful and comforable car unlike all but 172 others...171 others...170 others....169 others...
My 1990 petrol 2.0 manual gets 32 mpg on long runs and 22 mpg around town. If I drive like a granny I can get 34 mpg. When I drove at full speed on autobahns (aiming to keep to 100 mph as much as possible) I seemed to get about 25 mpg.

tog
XM newbie

Post by tog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi again, I thought I'd update the thread with progress.

Sadly, and I am more than a little ashamed to come on here and admit it, I chickened out. I still love the XM, and really would like one, but I've gone with what I know and bought another Saab 9000 Aero instead. If I got an XM, a V6 is what I would really want, but I can't afford the fuel to run one everyday. Rather than compromise with a four-cylinder XM, I went for a fast Swede instead (conversely, the V6 Saabs hold no appeal at all). Thanks for the advice, and I'm registered here now so shall still keep an eye on the classifieds.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Saab 9000 is a good choice, i liked my 2.3t very much, the trouble with being a bit of a petrol head is there is so much choice out there its hard to make up your mind one way or the other, My Activa was going to be a Fiat coupe turbo and nearly was, strange thing is the previous owner of my old activa replaced it with a...................Fiat coupe turbo :lol:

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory