Should I get an XM?

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
tog
XM newbie

Should I get an XM?

Post by tog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:35 am

Obviously the answer is yes, but hear me out. I'd want a hatch not estate, petrol not diesel, probably manual but not essential. However I would be putting about 15-20k miles a year on it. Am I bonkers? Would it break down with clichéd unreliability? Or should I have more faith?! I like the idea of an XM, but am I brave enough? A friend of mine owned a Citroen main dealership for decades before retiring about ten years ago, but when I asked him he said that, hand on heart, he couldn't recommend an XM to me, which wasn't encouraging!

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Re: Should I get an XM?

Post by Jan-hendrik » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Would it break down? That depends on the car you acquire. The other questions only you can answer.
Your friend lived his dealer life in an era past. Didn't he say what he could recommend? A 2CV maybe? :lol:
Remember the youngest XM you may find today is more than 10 years old, but a well maintained model with less than 60k miles could give you another 10 years of driving pleasure. Members of a Dutch XM forum proudly tell of the mileages they have chalked up: 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k kilometres. Hydraulic Citroens are not for everyone, but neither are Volkwagens or Toyotas. Follow your heart, give the XM a chance, but choose one with the help of an expert. Buy one from a reputable dealer.
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 pm

If its your first foray into a XM, you would be a brave man to do that kind of mileage in one. I'd go for a diesel as well over a petrol on those mileage indications. Better economy.

They can be very reliable if you get the right one, and look after it. You get what you pay for in a lot of ways.

All cars are going to give some sort of trouble, or want money spending on them.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I would agree. I have run XMs for over 15 years and well over 300,000 miles, they are more complicated than the average car of the time but once sorted they can be very reliable. The 2.1 diesel engine is almost indestructable as is the manual gearbox. Doing that sort of mileage I wouldn't go for a petrol or auto unless you have very deep pockets, 50+ mpg is attainable from the manual 2.1 if driven carefully.

If you are a DIYer you will get all the information to maintain it on here, if not you will need a mechanic who knows and understands them.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

tog
XM newbie

Post by tog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, I shall bear them in mind. I know a diesel would be more economical, but I just can't bring myself to do it. A petrol V6 is what I really want, but some semblance of economy is required sadly.
Jan-hendrik wrote: Your friend lived his dealer life in an era past. Didn't he say what he could recommend? A 2CV maybe? :lol:
Well he did sell the XM new so should know a bit about them. He said if I had to have a Citroen from that era go for a Xantia.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Yeah, well. My xantia has broken down more than once all right and my XM hasn't yet. Not all the maintenance you may do, can prevent every break down. The 2.0 16valve has a xantia engine and that in itself, is capable of doing very high mileage without breaking down. Easy to maintain as well. And no you're no bonkers, just go and get a good one.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

tog wrote:He said if I had to have a Citroen from that era go for a Xantia.
He might have a point there. There are two sorts of V6 XMs, the earlier ones with the PRV engine and either manual or hydro-mechanical auto and the later ones with the ES9 Engine and auto-adaptive gearbox and this is virtually a straight lift from a V6 Xantia. the later ES9 ones are very good but vanishingly rare - with good and careful maintenance they'll meet your needs with surprisingly good economy.

So will a Xantia but it'll need just the same sort of care and maintenance and as they age their need for maintenance increases to be the same as an XM.

Any ES9 V6 whether it be an XM or a Xantia has a timebomb ticking away in the form of the gearbox. All will die expensively at anything between 145,000 and 170,000 miles. This is guaranteed. Everything else lasts well and a gearbox rebuild will see the car good for another 100,000 miles at least... The engines are bombproof..

Plenty of people are still using Xantias as daily drivers and covering high mileages although more often in the diesels.

An XM will do the same if you find a good one and look after it with care. A good one will be a good bit more expensive to buy than a Xantia but worth it - the XM is intrinsically the better car for comfort in my opinion and better for long journeys.

Just be aware of the V6 timebomb...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I've had a V6, a 2.5 diesel, a 2.0 16 valve petrol and currently run a 2.1 diesel auto. Once you have had one you will either be smitten or decide they are not for you, irrespective of the engine/version. If I wanted a manual it would be the 2.5 for me, the performance is excellent and the economy good.

I think the way to secure reliability is to be prepared to pay for a good car to begin with and then be prepared to spend initially to ensure that it all starts off right; at least that's what I am hoping, as that is what I have done with my current 2.1. I decided to go for one that has already done a lot of miles with a comprehensive history in the hands of only two owners rather than one that has done fewer miles but been through several sets of hands.

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 pm

If I was to start driving a XM again tomorrow, I would go for a 2.5TD. But thats just me, I have owned them all except V6 petrols.

That said, a 2.1 is fine if you aren't a speed demon, and want even better fuel economy (Check out sales and wants, I am trying to help a guy local to me sell a 2.1 TD Manual Hatchback).
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by messerschmitt owner » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:21 pm

My 2.0tct is averaging 24mpg. My 2.1td is averaging 41mpg. I drive the diesel like I stole it and the petrol like an old granny in comparison. 20000 miles a year I'd use the 2.1. Oops I do. The petrol has done 6000 miles since June, the diesel has done 10,000 miles in that time.
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr