New member with a 1995 2.1 Auto

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
XMBloke
Has changed a sphere or two

New member with a 1995 2.1 Auto

Post by XMBloke » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi all, found this forum after searching for intermittent starting problems on 2.1 XM. I'm on my second XM and absolutely love owning and driving these cars as there's nothing else out there that looks or handles like them. It turns heads and stands out in a sea of anomymous modern Euro-boxes.
Sold my first one back in 2004 and regretted it, so eventually after a brief Xantia ownership (which wasn't good) I found another XM on Ebay. Apart from a few light scuffs and scratches, it drives well at 165,000 on the clock but it has got a history file as thick as a bible. Only gripe is an intermittent failure to start due to engine not turning over at all. I believe this is due to worn out ignition switch?
Anyway, I'm glad to report autobox still works and changes smoothly (thanks to regular ATF changes by previous owner) and in mixed driving (mostly motorways for daily commute to work) I'm getting a real world 39.7 MPG at 70...ish. Did crack 41.6mpg during summer - which for a 1.6 ton car with a slush-box is pretty damn good in my book.
Only thing I really dislike about the XM is the terrible dipped beam headlights. I've seen glow-worms give off more light. I'm not a fan of the round twin conversions so may look into fitting LED's to boost dipped beam without making it illegal.
1995 XM 2.1 auto hatchback RP 6717. Sold on for spares or repair.
1992 Rover 216 GTi twincam 16v 130 bhp. Unbreakable mechanicals, bodywork - less so.

2015 - Still waiting for the hover conversion kit but do wear two neckties at same time.

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: New member with a 1995 2.1 Auto

Post by MTXM » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum and I for one thoroughly endorse your remarks about the attractions of the XM, hence my collection of six cars!! It is good to hear the auto-box has been well looked after and fuel consumption is reasonable. In relation to the headlights, there are Xenon HID bulb kits that can be fairly easily obtained and fitted to significantly boost output which are quite popular and others can give further advice I am sure. With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, for your starting problem check and clean all relay contacts in the engine bay above the n/s headlamp, wont hurt to do the ones on the other side too while your at it.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:09 pm

I second the relay being a likely candidate for your starting issue.
For the headlamps, remove them, strip them down and wash them out. you will be surprised at the difference it makes.

If when looking at the headlamps on dip beam you see the plastic lens itself illuminated, then the lamps need washing out.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 am

Welcome :D

I'm a bit of a late convert to XM Ownership but love mine to bits...

I still love the Xantias though and as you can see I have more of them than XMs :lol:

What went wrong with your Xantia ownership?
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am

Found them a bit less comfy then the XM... Theres NO beating XM seats...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

citroenxm wrote:Theres NO beating XM seats...
I absolutely and utterly agree there Paul... I get very comfy in mine :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Welcome, I have a 2.1 auto from 1992 vintage. love it.

Jim and Paul...you don't need to convince me!!! Soooooo comfy!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

XMBloke

Post by XMBloke » Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Apologies for delay in replying etc. Been busy setting up a videography business.
To date - the XM is running well, still averaging 39.2 mpg mostly on motorways. Still haven't got round to sorting the intermittent starting problem although I did strip and test the starter-motor which had very little carbon dust inside it and the voltage/resistance checks were all textbook. I will upload a video on stripping these starter motors soon as I can. The intermittent starting problem is so rare that it can go for months before it shows up. I will have a look at the relays under the slam panel this weekend when it stops raining.
At the moment I'm trying to source new sidelights and front foglight/indicator units as a stone has shattered the glass on the front nearside fog and both sidelights have gone a bit milky in sunlight. A recent article in a classic car magazine shows how to restore plastic light units. After much searching of usual online parts retailers including Valeo (they haven't replied to any of my emails) I'm under impression that car manufacturers are deliberately restricting parts for older cars just so we're forced into buying new Euroboxes - which is unacceptable since the XM is a bonafide classic car with a huge cult following. One thing's for sure - I saw a Polish Ebay retailer selling a sidelight for £927 so I hope it's a typo. My car didn't even cost that!
Had to seal up the sunroof due to water leaks despite cleaning the roof seal. I guess its compressed over many years of use.
Regarding my Xantia ownership - after a whole day replacing the engine (the old one snapped its cambelt while still 10,000 miles to go before due for change) it turned out the new 'low mileage' engine I bought off Ebay was a complete dog. I'd replaced crank and cam seals, clutch, timing belt, tensioners and guides and fitted it. Then after a few months use I noticed loads of oil in the intercooler and then one day in work I went to start it after a long nightshift and the crank pulley woodruff key shattered allowing the crank toothed pulley to run out of synch thus lunching the engine. These crank toothed pulleys are held in place with a small woodruff key and not with a mated flat or positive lock device apart from the crank bolt. Belt was still intact. Gutted, although if I ever fit a replacement engine again, I'll insist on seeing it run first in the original car. I don't mind the Xantia but at just over six feet tall, I appreciate the extra legroom and area around foot pedals that the XM has. Plus they look a bit 'sci-fi' - which makes it cool in my book.
1992 Rover 216 GTi twincam 16v 130 bhp. Unbreakable mechanicals, bodywork - less so.

2015 - Still waiting for the hover conversion kit but do wear two neckties at same time.

XMBloke

Post by XMBloke » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

MTXM wrote:Welcome to the Forum and I for one thoroughly endorse your remarks about the attractions of the XM, hence my collection of six cars!! It is good to hear the auto-box has been well looked after and fuel consumption is reasonable. In relation to the headlights, there are Xenon HID bulb kits that can be fairly easily obtained and fitted to significantly boost output which are quite popular and others can give further advice I am sure. With regards, Matthew T.
Six cars - epic!