newbie XM owner, L322VCV 2.1 TD

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

newbie XM owner, L322VCV 2.1 TD

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 am

Hello! You might have seen the update on L322VCV in the sales section.

So as you'll know it's a 2.1 TD auto. SD version so got some toys. It looked really nice in the eBay photos and I'd say it is as good as it was described, no better. It ran very strongly all the way to Glasgow and everything seems to work except the front suspension but ill post that in the right section (in case the xm mafia hear about it in the wrong section!) But the more pressing concern is that it wouldn't start this morning less than 24h after first seeing it! I hope its just duff plugs as it seemed to fire on one cylinder with diesely grey looking smoke out the exhaust, not enough battery juice to keep attempting though so not the best start... I hope this isn't the beginnings of a nightmare..

Despite this, I'm excited about xm ownership and the fuel consumption on the road back was very good for an auto.

Just a quick hello,

Graeme
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX 'Auld Katy' Mk1 'sinker'

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: newbie XM owner, L322VCV 2.1 TD

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Graeme

Congratulations on your purchase, your problem does sound like glow plugs. Check the voltage from the glow plugs to earth, if they are all working you should have 10-11 volts for about 15 seconds, if its reading higher than that one or more glow plugs have failed.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Let the trials commence!

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Congrats on your acquisition Graeme and a big welcome to the XM family... I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Welcome Greame,

As per my signiture, on FCF and here, Im here too as well as FCF, with more XMs in possesion then Xantias...

Ive a latest project, in the form of a K reg 2.1 SD Diesel MANUAL... Needs a few bits but Ill do it.

So you bought that fantasticly beautifull L reg SD.. I saw that, it was nice....

Per-see-what-sit with the car and you will enjoy. Took our Jim some time to get one, and even after he tried to sell it, he changed his mind!

Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO keen to get back in one this year, I WILL! But, which? H reg 2.1 SED Manual, or K reg 2.1 SD Manual....
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

citroenxm wrote:Welcome Greame,

As per my signiture, on FCF and here, Im here too as well as FCF, with more XMs in possesion then Xantias...

Ive a latest project, in the form of a K reg 2.1 SD Diesel MANUAL... Needs a few bits but Ill do it.

So you bought that fantasticly beautifull L reg SD.. I saw that, it was nice....

Per-see-what-sit with the car and you will enjoy. Took our Jim some time to get one, and even after he tried to sell it, he changed his mind!

Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO keen to get back in one this year, I WILL! But, which? H reg 2.1 SED Manual, or K reg 2.1 SD Manual....
I know exactly what you mean! I've driven it 270 miles in one day and now it's having a strop but I'm already addicted, I just love the second when the door just pops open and you slip into those seats.. mine might not be leather but dang, they're comfortable.. ideal for breakdowns actually.. It's a bit disappointing because I'd rather be investigating the problem with the front suspension and struggling with the few dashboard bulbs that are out but can't even think about those yet! At least the trusty Xantia is there to lend a hand - hope the jump leads can reach... the XM's nose is lonnnng

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm

What's up with the suspension ? s1.5 xm hydractive is a system of its own and 99.8% of the time always works..

ah ha dash bulbs.. you wait till you try removing the instrument housing! I bet you break something... :D :D

Others

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Front end is choppy in both normal and sport but it's not the crazy bouncing around you'd see from a flat sphere as it's not overly hard it is smooth until it takes a bump that's a little bigger and it sends the front end into hysterics though it does settle quickly. It may have a single half flat or almost fully flat sphere and this has a different effect on hydractive than standard suspension. I'm thinking one flat sphere out of 3 per axle would have a lesser impact than one out of 2 on standard so maybe a corner sphere has burst. The yellow 'sport' light comes on along with the display message but I notice the yellow light doesn't flash with ignition on and I read somewhere on here that's a sign of a problem (might have misinterpreted that mind)

Dash bulbs and breaking bits.. ok, it's a challenge, I'm gonna not break anything... There must be a way!! How do you get to the heater control bulbs?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Lever out the rotary controls greame and behind there are some screws... remove them and take the front off...bulbs before your eyes..Im certain they pull out the holders as normal..

Others

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 pm

I'll definitely be doing that as soon as it's running!