New owner

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
DERV_Monkey
XM newbie

New owner

Post by DERV_Monkey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:18 am

Hi everybody, i'm new to XM ownership having just purchased a '92 2.1 SD in dark grey. I have had around 30 modern classics (albeit mostly German) in my time and have always promised myself that I would get an XM one day. The car is very different dynamically than anything I have ever owned but this particular example has an interesting quirk which I hope somebody can help me with. The steering seems to be intermittently notchy and stiff. Especially in the mornings it seems like I am trying to turn the wheel through thick treacle and the quicker I try and turn it the more difficult it is. Also the suspension does not seem to have that magic carpet ride that I have heard so much about not really being any more comfortable than my old E30 BMW. Can anybody shed any light on what might be the problem?
Thanks,

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: New owner

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 am

Welcome to the forum,

For your suspension, the spheres may be due a change. Around £20 a pop.

Steering could be a couple of things. Is the belt for the hydraulic pump tight enough, is the Hydraulic fluid reservoir at the correct level. It could also be a FDV valve (search for this on here) that may be playing up giving the symptoms you are experiencing.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Derv M

Welcome to our website.
All 3 hydraulic items on an XM are supplied by a single pump.
Brakes, Suspension and Power Steering.
If there are supply or pressure problems the the systems drop out in order of safety.
PS goes first and brakes last.
The hydraulic system is not always well maintained.
Before we get you delving into the system maintenance check out the pump operation.
Lack of pressure from belt slip is a common problem on 2.1 TD's and easily checked.
After that you check LHM fluid condition and amount.
Set suspension to high for LHM quantity check.
Do not drive in this setting.
LHM should be fresh and bright green in colour.
If a LHM sample looks yellow (aged) or black (contaminated) the system could do with a flush.
Report back for advice before you flush.

John

DERV_Monkey
XM newbie

Post by DERV_Monkey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

Hi, thanks for the speedy replies! Spheres were changed before my ownership, belt seems to be tight ie 3/4 turn at longest stretch. LHM is bright green and I put a litre in only for it to be expelled out when the car settled in Staples car park! (I assume by that it is at the right level but the sightglass is stuck at the top) Where does the FDV live?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Before going too far check the level by raising the car to it's highest then the orange mushroom should be between the level lines.
I suspect the notch steering is due to air ingress at the main suction hose connections, try twisting the hose on the spigots, if it moves at all it is loose and drawing in air.

I doubt it's the FDV as that diverts fluid between the steering or suspension and as the steering is low pressure it always receives enough pressure and flow.
The FDV (flow distribution valve) sits on the front of the engine next to the pressure regulator.

If the suspension is harsh, either the spheres are rubbish or the hydractive is stuck in hard mode. runt eh engine and bounce the car, then switch off, wait for 40 seconds and you should hear a clunk under the front floor, at which point he suspension will become hard.
You can also test this on the move, over 18mph, by switching between soft and hard mode.

Can you make Burghley House on Sunday, if so we can have a look.
Last edited by Dieselman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum

If your hydraulic pump has a 'V' belt drive it does have to be very tight, try turning the pump by hand or perhaps with some mechanical assistance, if it doesn't turn the engine its not tight enough. Most other XMs use a flat ribbed belt which doesn't suffer from this problem.

Were the centre spheres changed? These are responsible for the soft ride, doesn't matter how good the corner ones are if the centres are flat the ride will be hard.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 am

Welcome to our world.. dark grey. .? Interesting if its the same colour as my current project.

Why not add your location in a signiture so we know the area your in and if you close to anyone else who may be able to apply first hand help. ..

Steering can also be the lower uj joint just above the rack. . And is a slight pita to change but I've done a couple and is not too bad once you know the short cut. . But be sure everything else is all OK. There's no way of telling its the uj till you get it off. .
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

DERV_Monkey
XM newbie

Post by DERV_Monkey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks everybody, internet connection has been sporadic since we moved house last week so apologies for lack of response. The car seems to be behaving itself a bit more this week since it has been pressed into service for it's daily motorway commute. Steering is still pretty notchy and does seem to follow the thrum of the engine so would suggest loose belt. I'll have a look into it this weekend. The other thing is when I move the height lever to full up or down the rear is always the first to move, the front of the car takes quite a while to catch up especially on the upward rise and the hiss of the pump seems to go on for some time before cutting off (it never makes a clicking sound btw just a rhythmic hiss or no hiss!) Apologies for the uneducated questions, if it had a blue and white propeller on the bonnet it would be a different matter!

DERV_Monkey
XM newbie

Post by DERV_Monkey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 pm

I am based in Ferndown, Dorset btw

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Welcome :D

The front being the last to rise and lots of intermittent hissing sounds about normal to me.

Have a read of Areodynamica's thread about the FDV down in the hydraulics section to understand what the hissing is all about. It's the Flow Distribution Valve which proportions hydraulic pressure between the steering and suspension/brakes.

It's a good read and one of the many things top learn about the XM ;) :)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!