Considering buying an XM

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: Considering buying an XM

Post by CitroJim » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 am

Paul, you make a good point about buying from a forum/club member.. All the best cars I've ever had have come via the forums.

Thing is, we'll be honest and chances are the car on offer has all its history laid bare in the pages of the forums. There are no secrets!

Here's an example.

Unknowingly, I bought my first Xantia from a forum member. He never let on and when I dug deep in the forum I found the entire history of my car, good and bad. Also why he was selling. Turned out a problem on the car had him and the forum stumped. I sorted it very quickly...

So yes, buy from a forum member. And that's not another sales pitch from me - simply good advice...

I'd happily buy a car from anyone on here and I mean that.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

badbob
XM newbie

Post by badbob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks guys - I'm not looking to buy yet as my current insurance doesn't run out until October, so I'll be looking in Sept/Oct.

What I really wanted was a run down of the options I should think about - which are the models to go for etc, so a v6 sounds like the one. Is there much difference between the earlier and later v6?

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Great stuff Bob. If mine's still available then you may like to take a look. No harm in having a prior look as it then may give you an idea of what the late V6 is all about.
badbob wrote: Is there much difference between the earlier and later v6?
I'll let others who know far more than I speak on that as my experience of XMs are limited to the ES9 V6 and a little TCT Auto...

The major difference between the early and late V6 is the engine and gearbox. The earlier ones have the 3.0l PRV V6 with the ZF 4HP18 hydro-auto or 5 speed manual box. The PRV is a 90 degree V6 and sounds ace.

The ES9 uses the 3.0l ES9J4 V6 which was, at the time of introduction, a brand-new engine and very modern with quad cams and 24 valves. It's very smooth and quiet being a 60 degree engine with an offset-crankpin crank.

All RHD ES9 V6s were married to the then new ZF 4HP20 timebomb autobox. There was no RHD manuals but manual versions were available in LHD.

The 4HP20 is an excellent box, being an early auto-adaptive electronic affair. I call them a timebomb because they have a finite life before requiring an overhaul - more can be found in other areas of this forum.

However, the overhaul is not hard and most you'll find will have been done by now. Certainly look for evidence!

Basically, the mechanicals are the same as the Xantia V6 and Pug 406 V6 but the XM drives totally differently. Drive the V6 Xantia and V6 XM back-to-back and you'd never believe both are hydraulic Citroens that share the same mechanicals :)

The ES9 engine is a tough unit that gives little trouble if the cooling system is looked after. Cambelts look an awful job but are in fact deceptively easy if you use the later C5 tensioner.

Be aware exhaust systems are dealer or custom only and cost the earth. Against that, they are made of thick stuff and can often be repaired.

The V6 rads die alarmingly regularly but they are available and not too expensive.

Otherwise, what applies to any S2 XM applies to the ES9.

If you live fairly near then you can look at mine at any mutually good time.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Rommel
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by Rommel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm

badbob I'm perhaps flying in the face of the (knowledgeable) opinion here, but as a former Saab driver (slightly tweaked 9000 Aero), I think the XM that would give you the closest behavioural experience comparable to your Saab would be a 2.0 TCT (petrol turbo in case you aren't familiar with the model), remapped and with a few tweaks. It seems that you are wanting to avoid any modifications at all though...so it may be a moot point.

Having said that I have no experience of driving an ES9J V6 so maybe it will give you what you need- the torque curve looks very flat so it suggests an effortless powerful drive! You'll never get Saab-like levels of torque from it as you are perhaps used to but I'm sure it would be more than adequate..... a different animal.
Rohan
ES9 V6
Previous:
2.1TD Exclusive Orga 6668
2.5TD VSX Estate

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:10 am

No no no.. dont get a tct ;) get an esj v6 24v .. the tct is old fashioned 8v rubbish.. and the couple ive had I thought very thirsty and a little noisy.

the v6 now though is very smooth 196bhp and because its an auto adaptive box theres little no to power loss through the box and revs and pulls right up to its red line and goes fairly well and if driven lightly can see 35-38mpg. I never saw that with a tct..

esj v6 only available in mark two xm from 1997 P reg onwards.. and the only engine to get the auto adaptive. All other autos used the older hp18 slightly power sapping 4 speeder but are slightly easyer to maintain.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

badbob
XM newbie

Post by badbob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 pm

Apologies for the late reply, I got married at the start of July so just getting my life back!

My Saab is going for sale next week, so hopefully I should placing an ad for an XM fairly soon. Looking at the adverts that are out there it could take some time to get the right V6...

Thanks for the advice.

Bertie-Bassett
Location: May I just say? That's a smashing blouse you have on.

Post by Bertie-Bassett » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:59 pm

citroenxm wrote:No no no.. dont get a tct ;) get an esj v6 24v .. the tct is old fashioned 8v rubbish.. and the couple ive had I thought very thirsty and a little noisy.
Don't know what you where driving :?: but mines never broken down or missed a beat in nearly 5 years.starts first time every time to. It's not noisy and I get about 35 mpg. I'm also led to believe it's bullet proof. As Ray Calvert says.
citroen xm 1994.

Bet your all wearing smashing blouses.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Ive had a tct or two in the past.. why have 4 cylinders and 35mpg when you can have 6 cylinders smoother power delivery 48bhp more power and the same mpg.. quieter engine.. smoother running.. i know which id have
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Bertie-Bassett

Post by Bertie-Bassett » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 pm

citroenxm wrote:Ive had a tct or two in the past.. why have 4 cylinders and 35mpg when you can have 6 cylinders smoother power delivery 48bhp more power and the same mpg.. quieter engine.. smoother running.. i know which id have
Rays reckons v6s are a can of worms. Also thirsty buggers. Enjoy. :lol:
citroen xm 1994.

Bertie-Bassett

Post by Bertie-Bassett » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:20 pm

There's also a v6 that's been sitting in the back of citraulix back yard in Bradford the past three years, rotting away.
citroen xm 1994.