Hello from Brazil!

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Slagtrooper
XM newbie

Hello from Brazil!

Post by Slagtrooper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:02 am

Hi!

I'm here for learning more about the Citroën hydropneumatic systems.
BX's and XM's are rare here and almost no one can deal with their maintenance. Most mechanics fear its suspension and many people like the cars but are frightened to have it, only because of its system.
I have a BX and i'm overhaulin' it myself and using it like a school for dealing with them. Active member of BX Club too. Learning by reading technical literature and forums almost everyday. Applying the knowledge on the BX.

I want to prove people here in BR that hydro cits can be good, reliable and beautiful cars. XM are rare here, about 550 units were sold in entire country. Most of them scrapped.

Regards,
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
Made in Uruguay

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Hello from Brazil!

Post by MTXM » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 am

Welcome to the Forum and how very interesting to hear about hydraulic Citroens in Brazil! Which models of the XM sold over there I wonder? With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Slagtrooper
XM newbie

Post by Slagtrooper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Hello, Matthew!

Diesel cars are prohibited here. Here we have only the petrol ones. MK1 and its facelifted version too, all of them imported.
2.0 Turbo, V6 12V and a few V6 24's. V6 12V are easier to find than the other two. XM Breaks are the rarest version (More like rare of the already rare XM's sold here).

Before may 1991, we had the car market closed, so we didn't had imported cars (Had, but with prohibitive prices).
When it opened, it was an explosion of imported cars, turning our models obsolete by 10 years easily...Until 1993 we were still doing the Chevrolet Opala Diplomata, a modern version of the old Rekord C, one of the few local luxury, expensive cars at that time:

Importation started in 1993 with 2.0 and V6 engines. Later came the Sensation Turbo CT and Exclusive V6 (with the Break together). After 1995, only the V6 12 valvers were imported until 2000. The remaining units are cheap because few mechanics can handle them. And that ones charge and arm and a leg for servicing without warranty of making it. Yes, imagine paying like 1000 euros with the chance of your car not rise...
Citroën BX GTi 1993
Made in Uruguay

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi. It's great to hear you are attempting to keep these technical cars on the road by gaining knowledge.

Ask any questions you need to about how the cars work and how to fix them when they don't, then maybe when I can get chance to visit Brazil, you can help in return.

The hydraulics are actually quite simple, the pump pushes fluid fluid in one end of the pipe and it comes out of the other into the suspension rams, brakes, steering as needed. It couldn't be simpler.

Hydro-pneumatic suspension systems are more reliable in adverse conditions, than regular metal springs and dampers.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Slagtrooper
XM newbie

Post by Slagtrooper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Dieselman!

Of course, a car "out of the box" like that deserves to be running again. Is a real pity seeing that "spaceship" scrapped and forgotten...

Is that its electronic part that is new to me. My actual knowledge i got from the BX's. They have a simpler, all mechanic system - Majority of its problems lies in the octopus low pressure returns. In XM i have to see its more common issues, if it have the rubber return lines like the BX or Xantia, these kind of things...Keeping in mind that new spare parts are minimum here, specially related at the hydraulic systems, notably the hoses, demanding some DIY kind of repairing (Like making low pressure return lines with silicon hoses, etc.).
Citroën BX GTi 1993
Made in Uruguay

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm

The low pressure returns on XM seem to last better then those on BX.
Not all XM have Hydractive suspension, some are just regular Hydro-pneumatic, like a BX. Even the Hydractive part of the suspension is relatively straightforward, once you understand it.
Prev

Slagtrooper
XM newbie

Post by Slagtrooper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 pm

So i think it will be easy, just have to compare the BX System and update myself with the new ones...Is like step by step to comprehend the hydroactive system.
I'm already searching for its haynes and parts catalogue...Helps a lot finding pieces and maybe equivalent parts, because of the natual scarcity of its parts (Even finding in a better price if the part is from a more popular car - Say "XM" here, they will certainly say that they don't have the part or charge random, abusive prices most of the time).
Citroën BX GTi 1993
Made in Uruguay

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Many engine and general chassis parts are the same as the Peugeot 605, obviously the hydraulics and body panels and trim are different.

The mechanicals are general Peugeot-Citroen stuff.
Prev

djg
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 7261

Post by djg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Haynes can be bought easily but it's not the best of manuals. If you have the BX manual, you will be disappointed with the XM one. Softcover both inside and outside, although it does deal with many general repair procedures, the special parts like the hydraulics are very shallow.

The parts database is freely available after registration at Citroën (http://service.citroen.com). We also have it in the form of old scanned microfilms but the new format is much nicer.

For a general description, I might be tempted to offer my own at http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/technical-guide [emoji5]
Bye,
Gábor

1996 XM 2.5 Turbo D VSX (LHD, Bleu Mauritius)
1986 BX 19 TRI Break (LHD, Rouge Vallelunga) deceased
1996 AX 14 D (LHD, Alaska White) in family

Slagtrooper
XM newbie

Post by Slagtrooper » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 am

Dieselman: I am in love with 90's PSA's because of its drivetrain's compatibility.
We don't have too much XM's, but Lagunas and Peugeots (specially pugs) are more common, so it doesn't have too much excuses for rolling problems...

djg: Gabor. First of all, you have no idea how your DIY site helps me everyday with my BX. It was your page that assured me that i can maintain it here in Brazil, demystifying its features...It really defined my decision to own it. Yes, your site made me buy a BX. Saying "thank you very much" is not enough for me to demonstrate how your site can help a guy in the other side of the ocean save a lonely GTI 8V that was lying in the street.
I'm already reading the XM sections, specially about the electrics and of course, its hydroactive system.

I'm using service too, because i can find some parts that aren't NFP, ring to a Citroën dealer and hope if they still have some parts in a dusty room around.

When i found the Haynes book, i found it perfect, until i understood why they call it "Haynes Book of Lies".

Regards,

Bruno
Last edited by Slagtrooper on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citroën BX GTi 1993
Made in Uruguay