New members & questions about autobox...

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: New members & questions about autobox...

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:02 pm

I think it does but with a different valve block setup, the tct version has a boost sensor for a start and different load shift points.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Oh Well, worth a thought!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 pm

It may not work as a whole but would be far more universally useful for parts

D

Addicted to Crackanory

ekjdm14
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 6470

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 am

Sounds promising if the box turns out to be dead, hoping it's just the regulator spring from research though but It's one for the potential shopping list :) not too far in mileage from us either as we're in the north west.

Hoping to get time to view the car this afternoon so will have a better idea of if we're bidding (sorely tempted even if theres a LOT of welding, always liked the XM albeit the TCT version not the N/A) 8-)

Cheers.
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:36 am

OK pending reply to ebay message, will be going to view the car shortly. Excited now! And my better half is on board with it now (she wasn't so much before, but after the insurance quote came at less than 1/4 of the premium for the ZX she was more keen lol) :)
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 am

Good luck with it, looks like its sold and i would guess at a snip, not many would be looking to take on a car with a sick gearbox metal moth. they are really cheap to insure now, ive got quotes for a shade over £100/year fully comp which is exellent.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 am

I pay 17 quid month for my v6 24v manual on classic policy. Which think is amazing for a 200bhp machine which can uurrmm shift!!

Others

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Yes indeed I can see the combined rust & gearbox issues putting off many since people tend to either be comfortable with metalwork or mechanical work but not usually the both, I'm a bit strange like that though so I don't mind either (prefer getting oily to getting a welding tan though haha).

Been to see the car & although theres a few cosmetic issues & some interior trim problems that didn't show in photos, and a small possible LHM leak around the O/S/F sphere or hose, although it could be spillage from sphere replacement as it looked an old spill. Still looks like we'll be having a bid anyway though.

I'm not sure whether it is the valve block/accumulator at fault or not now TBH as the car did in fact go into reverse, but with the lever in D so it could well be a selector problem after all. On the plus side, upshifts were smooth and the speedo did work, just over reading by a wide margin! Any suggestions what could cause the speedo to read 50mph when we were doing about 15-20?

All in all, there's moderate rot problems but ones that a good dose of time & welding wire will fix & the gearbox is either going to be an easy/cheap/free fix or a pain in the rear. Just got to see if we "win" the auction now... :/ :)
Last edited by ekjdm14 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Series 2 cars use speed sensor in place of cable. It will be the speed sensor on the gearbox.. a common issue with xantias aswell..

Mis adjusted selector cables also known too.. there is a double link IE The cable attaches to its ball joint swivel arm and this is then connected to the actual gear selector via a plastic link rob ball jointed both ends!!

Others

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Good to know, had a feeling it'd be electronic as the ZX N2 also is. Good to know it's such a simple fix though, lot of speed cameras around here haha.

Yes that'd be really nice to find it was just a badly adjusted cable, withholding judgement for now though. Just having a good search through the forums to see about fixing the heater direction flaps (stiff & out of sync with the dial) and water ingress to the tailgate (looks like it's not been leaking too long at least) and hoping we can get the thing on our driveway!

Will post back an update when we get home tomorrow anyway, thanks everyone & hope to be posting more regularly soon :)