hello from france

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself / your cars. Also have a look for any frequently asked questions and information.
ekjdm14
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 6470

Re: hello from france

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Bonjour Frederic, welcome to the forum. Dieselman says he envies the rust free cars in France... So do I! :D I would love to have spare rust free S2 estate sills and floorpan haha.....
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 am

ekjdm14 wrote:Bonjour Frederic, welcome to the forum. Dieselman says he envies the rust free cars in France... So do I! :D I would love to have spare rust free S2 estate sills and floorpan haha.....
You just need the bottom part of the car I had the top off. ;)
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:49 am

Dieselman wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote:Bonjour Frederic, welcome to the forum. Dieselman says he envies the rust free cars in France... So do I! :D I would love to have spare rust free S2 estate sills and floorpan haha.....
You just need the bottom part of the car I had the top off. ;)
You don't fancy running down there and fetching it for us do you? :lol:

In truth it's not as bad as the photos make it look, most of the underside is actually fairly solid it's just those front lower corners that have suffered mainly and the sills. The majority of the underside roughly from B-pillars back is still sound, just a shame PSA couldn't have made the S2 cars as well rustproofed as the earlier ones.
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I do not think there is any great difference in construction of Mk2 XM's.
It is just that most were working cars not cleaned and garaged pride and joy.
Condensation in the sill and similar cavities plus road salt determine rate of rusting.
Jack damage to critical seams and spot weld damage to galvanising give the rust somewhere to get going.
The mix of UK climate and cheapest option weather treatment of roads are the main causes.

John

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm not too sure, remember even S1's were "just another cheap old car" at some point so will have had their share of not being garaged/washed plus longer for any corrosion to fester, but from what I've seen most if not all S1's are in much better shape corrosion wise than newer S2's. Perhaps it's just that the rusty S1's have all been "weeded out" during scrappage scheme so all that's left are the most solid ones, or something similar but whatever the score S2 cars seem to have more rot than S1 from my highly un-scientific "from what I've seen" research :D

Tempted by another S2 not far from us now, another '94 automatic car but this one is a hatchback and in TCT guise. front jacking points look squashed again though from the photos... Wonder if it's worth £350 if the rot is limited and suspension really is fine as described? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-XM-2- ... 20f6391959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;